Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 18:36   #181

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I can also confirm that there are no internal isolation transformers in my older marine Onan generator.
Our old Chris Craft motor yacht did not have them on the old Onan either. That's part of the reason for doing refits to bring them up to the latest standards.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:46   #182

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
This would depend on if it blows your boat up and causes property damage to nearby boats or infrastructure.

The ABYC standard states that any permanently installed generator must be ignition protected. Its location of installation does not make any difference.

Like I said, it would be best to consult a marine surveyor. Eventually, if you sell the boat and the potential buyer's insurance requires a survey done, you will be money ahead to do it right the first time.
A Honda eu2000 isn’t a permanently installed generator. So there goes the last tether of that ignition protection argument. LOL

So now portable generators are going to blow up? Now that we’ve come to the conclusion there are no isolation transformers inside Marine generators? Now that we’ve come to the conclusion that they are within ABYC and USCG guidelines?

As every single thing you’ve said has now fallen by the wayside, we have nothing left aside from your fear of generators “blowing up?”

You claim all new generators have isolation transformers inside. Well, Northern Lights, the top brand in the world doesn’t.

Are you a troll?

Why would you be saying all of this incorrect stuff?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:50   #183

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Our old Chris Craft motor yacht did not have them on the old Onan either. That's part of the reason for doing refits to bring them up to the latest standards.
How come none of us died from the “old standards” of which every major generator manufacturer is still a part of?

Why are we all still here and not killed by bonding neutral to ground at the source?

What exact generator do you have aboard that you just bought that has an isolation transformer inside the generator itself?

Chotu out. (Too busy to continue)
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:58   #184

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ok, now that we've established that portable gas generators are either a time bomb waiting to happen, or as safe as the best installed diesel genset ... can we please get back to arguiing about whether your mother would think it is polite to use them in a quiet anchorage.
Old 08-09-2020, 19:39   #185

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You claim all new generators have isolation transformers inside. Well, Northern Lights, the top brand I’m the world doesn’t.

Are you a troll?
I don't know what your program is. I'm a troll? It is widely known the world over that marine experts DO NOT recommend use of portable generators on boats.

Right in the installation manual for the Northern Lights gensets it states,
A terminal strip is provided in the Series 4 control panel and in the junction box of the generator for the installer to hardwire the AC connections. Current transformers must also be installed on the generator output leads.

Page 12, Section 114 for the IM1000-series that I just happened to look up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Why would you be saying all of this incorrect stuff?
I am saying incorrect stuff? I'm telling you what the marine standards are. I'm telling you to find me a marine surveyor that will approve a portable generator on a boat and you don't seem to be too willing to take me up on that challenge. Instead you insist on "proving" how you are gonna do it because you strapped a damn construction site generator to your boat.

That is almost laughable, actually. Takes all types to make the world go 'round. It is people like this that have boat fires in marinas every year. Then go, "oh, can't figger out why that would happen........"

Acccording to BoatUS Insurance, 12% of all boat fires every year are caused by faulty onboard AC power systems. All the smooth talk about "courtesy" and "caring". How about the courtesy of caring for the safety of other nearby boaters? That is ignored?

https://apnews.com/ac62e1ab530b578093a4a96ebc709af2
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:04   #186

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

This is getting worse than what is the best anchor to have if you carry guns on your boat while eating bananas during renaming your boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:31   #187

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This is getting worse than what is the best anchor to have if you carry guns on your boat while eating bananas during renaming your boat.

WHAT ??, you mean I can't eat bananas while renaming my boat, oh no, what am I going to do.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 22:00   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

Yup, bring back the gun debates. Much more fun, and relevant.
Old 08-09-2020, 22:37   #189
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You do realize that this is not the question. The question is, how much do you sacrifice or ignore everyone else's comfort in favour of just your own?

Everyone wants peace and quiet, especially at night when people are trying to sleep. But everyone wants comfort. In the case cited, "The anchorage is quiet except for one person who has to have all the comforts of home."

So, do the wants and needs of one person outweigh everyone else's wants and needs for peace and quiet? I guess in this case you'd say yes. I'd say no. Who is right?

This is the challenge of living together. We all share common space, common community. Many seem to have forgotten this simple fact.
Mike, that really sums it up!

Rising above telling every "different" boat owner on how to manage their needs and comforts, let's promote one key factor about Generators at Night!

ITS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN HEAR THINGS AT NIGHT !
Whether it be
a thief climbing onboard / Change of wind / something knocking on the hull
Loose halyards / tender banging....
...... Silence is golden and safe at night.
Those with noisy gens, run them in the morning when you are doing chores, to boost up batteries so Solar can top them off

You can't here my Gen outside, but I never run after 1pm

I have a tiny air cooled inverter style AirCon for my cabin to run at night here in the Tropics if I have to..

Takes. 1amp @220v or 10 amps @24v ...Much prefer to open the portholes if I can and enjoy/listen to... the Night Moves

https://youtu.be/f2Q9jX_g95g

Yeah we can tell when your rockin the boat
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:11   #190

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Those with noisy gens, run them in the morning when you are doing chores, to boost up batteries so Solar can top them off

You can't here my Gen outside, but I never run after 1pm

Wait a minute, I enjoy my breakfast in the cockpit around 8 or 9AM. Can you all please wait until 10AM so I can enjoy my peace and quiet?

Mornings are a quieter time in the anchorage before the wind starts to blow. After the breeze is up is the best time to run a generator, but shut it down at 5PM at the latest.

Chores? I don't get to them until about 3PM, just enough time for a little work before the 5PM beer
Old 09-09-2020, 10:15   #191

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Wait a minute, I enjoy my breakfast in the cockpit around 8 or 9AM. Can you all please wait until 10AM so I can enjoy my peace and quiet?

Mornings are a quieter time in the anchorage before the wind starts to blow. After the breeze is up is the best time to run a generator, but shut it down at 5PM at the latest.

Chores? I don't get to them until about 3PM, just enough time for a little work before the 5PM beer
This problem is exactly why when I add solar I'll also be adding an inverter. I hate having to fire up the generator just to make coffee or toast a bagel in the morning.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:16   #192

Quote:

Sounds like my kind of cruising .
Old 09-09-2020, 10:34   #193

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

What’s the problem after 5pm?

I understand not running the generator while people are outside enjoying the evening, but we run ours after dark figuring most people are inside and solar isn’t putting out.

Sure, people can be outside any time, but wouldn’t you think 8pm to midnight or so would affect the fewest?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:23   #194

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
SNIP

Rising above telling every "different" boat owner on how to manage their needs and comforts, let's promote one key factor about Generators at Night!

ITS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN HEAR THINGS AT NIGHT !
Whether it be
a thief climbing onboard / Change of wind / something knocking on the hull
Loose halyards / tender banging....
...... Silence is golden and safe at night.

SNIP
This was what I was taught as a kid; and still agree with. Even a tiny sound can have meaning and provide a needed warning. There are too many sounds to count that will get me out of my bunk and on deck at night. A lot of those tiny sounds can easily be covered up by a generator. I have been on lots of boats and have always been able to hear motors on those boats running. The thing is on some of them I could not hear the generator motor running because it was being drowned out by the AC motor and AC fan.

Even in my condo I can hear the AC running and the noise of the air coming out of the AC duct work. But I don't really worry about a wind shift or most other things in my condo.

I am still convinced those who say their generators are so quiet no one can hear them are suffering from so much exposure to the sound of their generator that is just fades into the background while those who attune their senses to every little thing are well aware of the generator noise.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:53   #195
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Ok... 3 to 5am it is then for generator
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator