Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 15:37   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
A term of insult with origins in English denoting an unpleasant, silly, incompetent, annoying, senile, elderly or childish person. As a mild oath it is roughly on a par with prat and marginally less pejorative than berk.

You'll be asking next what a prat or berk is
No I will be asking how someone can be elderly or childish?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 15:43   #47

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Interesting that the folks in favor of running a generator all seem to have a generator that they never hear while those that are not in favor of running a generator all seem to be able to hear generators.

Back when I was gainfully employed I got a gig that flew me to NYC to do some consulting work; seem to remember the address as 555 Madison Ave. I had trouble sleeping due to the noise but the girl across the hall who was an employee of the same company who stayed in the same hotel for months at a time said the noise did not bother her at all.

Point is if you regularly use a generator the noise fades into the background while if you never use one and are always on alert for strange sounds on or around the boat you always hear it.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's heartening to see the vast majority of people here recommend basic civility and common courtesy as the guiding principle.

Be considerate and respectful of others and you'll be fine. Those who can't comprehend that rights come with responsibilities are the ones that screw it up for everyone.
Nothing more needs to be said.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:32   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Comprehend what what are your rules what should we do to make sure your happy running a generator near you .
Who made you the rule maker
See this is the point what is etiquette there are so many .you do not critique those on this thread that say go away with you generator or anochor out . And you do not condone that action. Do people have the right to tell people to go away because their generator is on a 9 am what about 4PM were do you stop would would help me if I was in trouble but my generator upset you .. real questions not ******** answerd
I have a medical conditions I may need to run my generator at night do I need to ask the anchorages permission I know how about a put a red flag up to let everyone know
Honestly what a load of tosh
And it's the usual longtime agreement cruisers on here all agreeing with each other
What a lot of nonsense we live in a noise filled world do I tell my neighbour to stop cutting his graa. Tell them their kids are noisy. Tell them not to give to work at 4am as a doctor because it wakes me up or do I become tolerant of my fellow human been and understand we all have different needs and lives
But as long as it does not disturb you and you precious tranquility
Who then is the selfish git me or you

If you read what you have written, and then look in the mirror, I think you will agree that it is you. The water belongs to everyone. Not the guy running the generator, not the guy who is bothered by it, and not you. We share it. Courtesy is appropriate. I don't think anyone would withhold help from you because you had a generator. They might, because of your attitude.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:34   #50

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
If you read what you have written, and then look in the mirror, I think you will agree that it is you. The water belongs to everyone. Not the guy running the generator, not the guy who is bothered by it, and not you. We share it. Courtesy is appropriate. I don't think anyone would withhold help from you because you had a generator. They might, because of your attitude.

BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:58   #51

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I run my generator when I need it, which usually means for an hour or less in the morning and an hour or so in the evening. All electric galley and water heater, so it's needed for cooking and to make sure we've got hot water for showers.

I've got a built in unit with a very quiet exhaust. From outside, the only noise is a very slight hum if you're pretty close to the hull and the sound of some light splashing from the exhaust water (fairly close to the waterline and not too splashy). The bilge blowers add a bit more humming noise to the equation. Inside, it's a good bit louder due to no sound shield and poor engine room sound isolation.

Tonight I might have to do something I try very hard to avoid and leave it running overnight for a/c. It's not all that hot, but it's incredibly humid with almost no breeze. Before I started it, I wiped down a counter in the galley and it took over 10 minutes to dry due to humidity. Fortunately, I'm on a town dock (no power) and not in an anchorage. So the only person that could possibly hear it is the Defever 43 I'm nose to nose with. And with the exhaust facing away from the dock and them down below, it's unlikely they'll hear anything.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:24   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

This is only a difficult question for the few that are unaware, or uncaring, about how their actions affect others. Repeat after me: Rights come with Responsibilities. Rights come with Responsibilities. Rights come with Responsibilities. An increasing number of people seem to have forgotten this simple equation.
Old 02-09-2020, 19:32   #53

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have a Northern Lights 5KW in a sound enclosure, water cooled, water muffler. Just a 65 decibel hum in the cockpit. 20 ft away you can’t hear it. When away from the dock, we run 24/7 and keep our below decks at 72 degrees summer or winter. We don’t anchor near other people, and nobody anchors within 20 feet of us, so the generator is not an issue. We stay comfortable and that’s why we use our boat so much. If you can hear my generator, then you have anchored too close to me.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 21:22   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
'Inconsiderate' was an Austrian guy who we came across in Greece about 15 years ago: He dropped anchor and settled in perhaps 30m/100' off our bow, then loaded his generator into the dink, fired it up and with a long painter and electric lead dropped it back 20m off the stern so that the noise/fumes didn't disturb them in their cockpit
I remember reading about someone who did that in the Bahamas a few years ago. When morning came they found the generator quiet as it had been sabotaged.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 21:46   #55

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How is running a generator unkind or being inconsiderate?? I should not have to apologize for wanting hot water, and the ability to store food in my fridge, or flush my head, or run a faucet to clean dishes and bath.

Would it be considered inconsiderate (or more accurately intolerant) to force us to sit in the dark wreaking of BO and eating canned food to ensure others get to enjoy their slice of tranquility? OR are we expected to invest large sums of money in water makers, solar and other off-grid technology for the benefit of others?

Your no more entitled to be there than we are. Feel free to find your own corner of paradise, as YOU define it.

For that matter, am I entitled to dinghy over and ask you to stop your kids from screeching as they splash around and enjoy paradise? How about your barking dog? How about your music?

My, judging from this post, your screen name is somewhat fitting.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 22:45   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How about your music?
Maybe they are playing the music so they cannot hear your damn generator.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 23:03   #57

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
tarian shows how the spirit of yachting has deteriorated . what a shame. glad i did mine when the camaraderie was there.
He seems to come with serious attitude - hopefully it's not contagious!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 00:26   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcknight007 View Post
Hello All,
Here's my question? Do use a generator(for ac, charging and everything else) while on the hook? Any complainants? Just wanted to know since I just got my brand new generator. My neighbor(Capt Jack) keeps telling my that in a crowded anchorage there going to cut loose my anchor chain!! Don't want to believe it, but I guess that's why i'm asking all of you out there... Thanks again for your answers...

Don't run it at night or early morning. Even with a silent exhaust the sound of the cooling seawater sounds like a waterfall.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 00:41   #59

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
Don't run it at night or early morning. Even with a silent exhaust the sound of the cooling seawater sounds like a waterfall.
Depending on the installation. With most these days, the cooling water is discharged below the waterline, and if the syphon break is the version without a telltale, then there is no water from that either.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:56   #60

Boat: X442

Actually I was annoyed by an airco the other night. I was happily moored and in comes a fairly sizeable Jeanneau and is given the space alongside. The whole night the airco ran, sounding like a bloke urinating in the water, no sound otherwise and I did really want my hatch open. So what to do then?

It wasn't even that hot so if you need an airco in those circumstances, better to stay in the condo ahore. Spoke to the hired skipper the next day, he couldn't stand his job, counting the days. So not a happy ship either, but that's another matter.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator