Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 10:40   #1

Trailerable Liveaboard - Possible?

Mates: am contemplating Florida in winter and San Juans in summer - best of both worlds. Don’t want two boats. Tanner 27 not comfortable for Wilde, even though it was quite beamy and relatively easy to trailer. Largish berth a must for sleeping comfort. Wonderiing if option would be total reconfiguration of space on a 32’ or move to dark side (power boat).
-Doc
drjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:03   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Trailerable Liveaboard - Possible?

Soon as you get past a beam of 8.5' you need to get special trip permits for each state (varies by state, a few require it even for that width).

Few sailboats over 28' are that narrow, usually 60-70's classic plastic folkboat style.

The really robust ones are 8000+ lbs, most don't consider that "trailerable".

I'd be happy "camping" on that small a boat, long as it had 6' headroom in at least the galley.

But many these days need more space and expect greater comfort.

Check out a Macgregor 26M or X if you want a fast powerboat + floating RV that happens to also sail.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:34   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

I had a Dana 24 which I trailered and cruised on with my wife and two cats in summer seasons for up to 3 months at a time. I had talked with a single man who lived on one full time for several years in California. I think would be doable for single person.

Larger boats (over 8.5' beam) can be trailered with permits, but if you are talking about trailering from Florida to Washington I think you will find the permits and restrictions are real big pain and expensive.

Power boats will give a lot more practical options for live aboard small boat. Check out the Nimble Wanderer, 25 foot C Dory, or Ranger Tug 25 and 27 for some ideas. These can be very comfortable for one or two people (and quite expensive too, especially in case of the Ranger Tug).
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:02   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes heard great things about the Dana's maximizing living space, great headroom too. Some say even better than Nor'sea even at 27'?

Technically the Dana is 2" too wide for permitless towing in most states.

I realize you're unlikely to get "caught", but if involved in an accident on the highway (dog forbid), could your insurance deny coverage due to your being illegal?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoshua View Post
Mates: am contemplating Florida in winter and San Juans in summer - best of both worlds. Don’t want two boats. Tanner 27 not comfortable for Wilde, even though it was quite beamy and relatively easy to trailer. Largish berth a must for sleeping comfort. Wonderiing if option would be total reconfiguration of space on a 32’ or move to dark side (power boat).
-Doc
Checkout the Seaward 32rk
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49   #6

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We have a Seaward 32RK. They are made at the Island Packet Factory in FL. We currently have it in IA and have trailered it to FL last year. We plan on cruising the Keys next winter season too. As soon as the kids are in college in a couple of years, we'll be taking across the stream to the Bahamas and Caribbean.
You need a 3/4 ton truck at minimum and should pull permits to transport it, but it's not that big of a deal. The boat itself is great! We love it. Very well built, variable draft, sails great and has all the comforts of a bigger cruiser. I have a friend that has one and just took it from the mid-west to CA to cruise the Channel Islands etc.

Best,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:03   #7

Boat: C&C 34+

on the affordable side, check out the Hunter 26 or 260 water ballasted, modified ours with extra ballast around the swing keel, added lots on internal handholds where there were none, shortened the tall and heavy mast by chopping off 4ft and converting the main to square top. ( no problem since its B&G) . Did a few interior mods to better use the substantial interior volume, raised the 2 center stanchions with a continuous stainless rail for some support going forward , added centre cleats.
It has a pop top raised area in front of the galley and a very good rear ladder access and that is our travel trailer which does not sail that bad,no apparent loss in upwind performance with the square to main, much less tender than the Macs although it can't power at 20 knots. Some local guys are buying the mac 26 x and m and dumping the sails and rig.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:07   #8

This is one of those questions that brings up a lot of different answers, because it depends on your definition of lievaboard and your definition of trailerable. There are many boats that meet some peoples definition of both while other people have a definition of live aboard that no trailerable boats can meet. To illustrate my point, there are people living aboard flicka 20s, which are much smaller than the boat you considered no loveable. However, that is a trailerable boat that a minority consider loveable.

You didnt indicate your concerns with living aboard a small boat, but if the concern is how it handles waves and weather, maybe look at the folding trimarans. You lose space for a given length in those, though, but some of them are excellent sailing.

There have been threads and countless blog posts on this already, I suggest you do a search.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:48   #9

Quote:
-Doc

I know you said you do not want two boats, but...

I think for most people all things considered in terms of $$, hassle, time they would go with two boats for what you want to do.

Do you really want to trailer a boat between Florida and the PNW twice a year? Maybe doing that trip would be fun, interesting one time without a trailer for most. Wouldn't you rather be sailing than driving, dealing with the myriad of logistical hassles, mechanical hassles, etc. To make it 172 enjoyable trip you will 1.5 weeks to two weeks.

Plus you would be a lot less limited for the type(s) of boat you went with. The boat you want and how it is speced out in Fla will likely different than the PNW. Upfront cost for two great boats, both better suited could easily be 1.5 times(or less) the upfront cost of the one trailer-able boat counting trailer, tow vehicle that by definition will have limitations.

In the end my guess is you would save money going with two boats not to mention all the other considerations. But whatever works for you. Maybe you are into the challenge of doing as you describe and although impractical and not fun for most would be fun for you.

I analyzed doing the similar thing between SouCal and Sea of Cortez. That adventure can be done in a long day(with plenty of advance planning), counting pullout, drive between the two, and launch. Therefore, owning a tow vehicle has not necessary(you can rent a tow vehicle for 2 days or hire a pro with a truck). There was a cost savings(but not very much), because the distance in this case was short. But considering everything else it did not make sense. The biggest negatives was the limitations of the boats that are trailer-able and the over all hassle factor.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:12   #10

Quote:
-Doc
Again everyone is different. If you want to sail in to different, contracting locations take a look at Sea of Cortez and PNW whether you go with two boats or one.

An advantage of a place like San Carlos on the Sea of Cortez(if you went with two boats), is it is relatively inexpensive to haul out, store on the hard, and put back in compared to Fla or PNW. Other advantages are any work you needed done would be less, and accommodations on land, and eating out are dirt cheap when you want a break from the pirate life.

There are some many great places and so many excellent options on how to do something along the lines of what you propose.

A variation of the above is have a place or long term rent for 4 months or so in a place like Oaxaca or San Miguel Allende that are at high elevation and therefore have a cool climate in the summer when it is extremely hot in the Sea of Cortez. Both places have lots of expats and are safe.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:30   #11

Boat: Albin 25

Nobody has mentioned the Albin 25. A friend trailers one most years from AZ to PNW or the NE coast with his F250, no issues. Plenty of standing headroom.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:42   #12

Check out the larger, over 30 ft. folding trimarans, Corsair, Farrier, contour, Dragonfly, etc. for light weight boats with fairly large accommodation.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:11   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

Check out the Cascade 29' at 8 ft. 2 inch It is trailerable and can cross oceans.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:25   #14

I kept 2 boats, Ottawa and Hallandale Beach.

Trailering to and from PNW to SoFla every year, lol, will cost you more.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58   #15

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I am selling my Ranger 25, an 8.6' beam trawler that is easily trailable. If a power boat is a possibility, look at the photos on:

shearwater-sailing.com

If you will be in South Florida, I'll be glad to show you around the boat.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, trailer