Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 12:52   #16
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Trailerable Liveaboard - Possible?

Anyone know the feasibility of having a professional boat transport company do the switcheroo twice a year?
Old 11-03-2019, 13:09   #17

Airstreams will do 70 knots but make terrible boats.
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 14:39   #18

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Anyone know the feasibility of having a professional boat transport company do the switcheroo twice a year?
VERY expensive!!! It costs us about $1K with fuel permits food etc. to transport to FL. from the mid-west. I looked at a transport company and think the cheapest bid I got was $3500.00 one way. Ouch!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 18:09   #19

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have stated that we own a 2000 F350 Powerstroke (7.3 liter engine) so hauling not an issue for us and we love road trips. Having stated that, the PNW to FL drive really is a long trip, so appreciate the idea of two boats. Also, with lots of Sea of Cortez experience, am also considering S. AZ, but am feeling need to store boat in US. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Iíve looked up all of the boats recommended. Am experiencing flashbacks of my time on the Santa Cruz 27 when our motley crew took on the Schwenks and Wild Rumpus each Wednesday in the Anacortes regatta!
-Doc
drjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 22:31   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would go for a trailer-tri. Light and fast--and more room for the weight towed. Not cheap though.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 00:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
We did one way on our 34' Gemini Kentucky Lakes to Detroit and I think it was $5k a few years back.

To the OP: Even if you own the truck already, calculate up what fuel and maintenance bill will be at 9 MPG, I suspect it will eat up any savings from only having one boat plus you get away from the sever size limitations (or complexity and cost of oversize permits).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12   #22

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoshua View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have stated that we own a 2000 F350 Powerstroke (7.3 liter engine) so hauling not an issue for us and we love road trips. Having stated that, the PNW to FL drive really is a long trip, so appreciate the idea of two boats. Also, with lots of Sea of Cortez experience, am also considering S. AZ, but am feeling need to store boat in US. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I’ve looked up all of the boats recommended. Am experiencing flashbacks of my time on the Santa Cruz 27 when our motley crew took on the Schwenks and Wild Rumpus each Wednesday in the Anacortes regatta!
-Doc
Here's a short video of our 32RK under sail in light conditions. We have a Doyle UPS at the front that is there on the light days and that 110% for anything over 15 apparent. It works really well.
I fell for the lines on this boat. She really is a beauty. Not as pretty when on the trailer though. you would never know that she can draw up to 6'6" by the way she sits on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180412_134501_3530.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	187833  
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:21   #23

Boat: Imexus 28

Hi I have a liveaboard trailable and have a number of friends that also have large livaboard Trailer Sailers.
The usual large trailables here in Australia that are capable of performing in this role are yachts like RL28ís, Mach 28ís, Court 750ís, Beale 850ís etc. I own an unusual Imexus 28 which along with its slightly smaller sibling the Odin 820 are available in the US.
At under 7000lbs on trailer to tow fully laden and being within legal towing width at 8 foot 4 I have specifically equipped it for extended live aboard expeditioning and exploring.
We have a large number of what we call grey nomads here in Australia who use caravans or motorhomes for 3-12 months travelling every year. My yacht has been developed to be an alternative to these land only based travelling platforms with as little loss of livability as possible given the compromises required for it to be a capable sailing yacht, motor boat and caravan.
Not everyoneís cup of tea but with around a 100 gallons of fresh water tankage, 35 gallons of fuel, hot water, 350 amp hour of battery capacity, shore power and inverter, 150 Amp hour alternator, standing headroom at the stove and enclosed shower/toilet it is pretty close to matching smaller long term cruising keel boats whilst retaining all the flexibility of trailing, very shallow draft and drying out capability. It also has a very significant range under motor at hull speed and the capability of high speed planing if required. Combined with all of the above it also has both Dodger and Bimini which can be erected on land and water, a targa bar with large solar panel and another mounted over the cabin roof, a one person mast raising and lowering system that remains in situ at all times for bridges and powerlines as well as for launching and retrieving. Just a thought. Regards Graeme
PS One last thing. The motor is a 180 hp inboard hi efficiency turbo diesel with raising leg and fully laden with cruising gear and with the mast up can push the yacht to 25 knots and has done over 30 knots empty. I donít use this capability very often but it definately has its attractions on occasions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6438ED04-4FD7-48CE-8E4B-86408B67EDA1.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	187841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA469BC8-3218-4A79-BFDE-27B88F1336F8.png
Views:	98
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	187843  

Name:	5CDE5D53-454B-4267-B4C4-D175F4D45880.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	187845   Click image for larger version

Name:	451F1C2F-8CF0-4441-88ED-AF3BFA700600.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	187846  

Attached Images

Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:29   #24
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Similar concept to MacGregor 26X or M, go for 10-20K these days.

But outboard only, I think they max out at 70HP

And lighter to pull, water ballast design.

Don't get any points from classists at the yacht club, but Aussies usually love that

8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:41   #25

Hi John Have you ever seen or even sailed both. Just because they have a similar underlying concept doesn’t make them that similar in practice or quality as cruising yachts.
Also in Europe and even in Australia the cost differentials are not as great as in the US but of course the Macgregor 26 was built and produced in huge numbers in the US also flooding the secondhand market there. There is an artical in a respected sailing magazine from an owner who went from Mac 26 to keel boat on the Great Lakes then on to an Imexus 28. He gave a detailed review of pros and cons of each and ultimately stated the Imexus was twice the price of the Mac but four times the boat.
Perhaps overstating but it was a well constructed and reasoned piece. Regards Graeme
Old 12-03-2019, 18:45   #26

Hi John BTW if you are a Macgregor 26 owner I wasnít dissing your choice as a cruising as distinct from racing boat just stating that you were not comparing apples with apples. Cost and weight to tow are definately considerations but quality and capabilities are also very relevant. Just two feet longer means a lot more yacht never mind more hull thickness, mast strength, stability etc. I have just sold a second Imexus 28 I had purchased here for only 30 percent more than an equivilent condition Mac 26m. I purchased it specifically to swap out and retain its newly built heavy duty alloy trailer. It was fitted with a 130hp inboard mercruiser diesel with 300 hours and was cruising equipped. My original trailer was serviceable but not in long term thousands of intended miles condition. Most Mac 26 original factory trailers are also not up to the task of constantly transporting a fully laden cruising equipped yacht. Regards Graeme
Old 12-03-2019, 19:59   #27
cruiser

Yes, I certainly did not mean to overstate their similarities, nor to imply the Macs were better value just because they can be found more cheaply.

And no, my choice would be heavier, slower old-school classic plastic capable of being upgraded for liveaboard cruising offshore.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
Old 12-03-2019, 20:35   #28

Hi John No problems. I don't really think truly trailable (as distinct from road transportable) and blue-ocean extended live-aboard are really that compatible.
I know some here will now jump down on me and point out many tiny yachts particularly heavily ballasted deep keel small yachts that have performed both functions admirably but most of those would be best left in the water and not really designed to be constantly retrieved onto land and carted around the country to access unique and different cruising locations. To be clear however I call BLUE WATER/OCEAN multi week out of sight of land ocean passages not coastal hops where retreat to land is possible or transits to relatively nearby islands ( say a couple of days sail ) which can be weather timed to preclude dealing with significant ocean storms. I am aware for instance of all kinds of small craft getting across from Florida to the Bahama's and beyond including Mac 26's.
Regards Graeme
PS Thanks for the tip on the other thread above you have contributed to. I have read through much of it now and still feel the same as stated. My yacht is being equipped for multi month inshore cruising in the Kimberley's in Western Australia amongst many other much less extreme locations as I commence retirement shortly. That said I feel the Kimberley's in their own way can be as challenging as many significant ocean voyages but in a different way.
Old 12-03-2019, 21:18   #29

Hi John Have you actually purchased yet? If not I suggest spending a lot of time asking for rides on other peoples yachts before making your final decision as nothing beats on water experience and use. With 50 years experience and despite being my 10th trailer sailer I still took plenty of time actually sailing on other peoples boats before making my final decision. Still it was a compromise after all this with only the completely out of reach financially Dragonfly 28 Trimaran ticking more boxes again. Regards Graeme
PS I have no idea of your prior sailing experience which may be more extensive than mine. I however have done several very significant ocean races and a few ocean passages and have decided that beautiful sheltered bays, raft ups with other yachts for swapping yarns and generally shorter day sails between these locations are more to my liking than multiple days out in the deep ocean. Offshore extended sailing can be tiring, lonely or claustrophobic ( depending on the company or lack there of) and invariably result in the need to weather some really rough stuff for extended periods at some times. Some love that whilst the search for the idyllic destination and people appeal to me.
PPS If that 61 in your nickname is year of birth we are likely very close in age.
Old 12-03-2019, 22:29   #30
cruiser

I've only owned a sailing dinghy so far, spent a few hundred hours sailing on larger OPBs.

Far from being ready to pull the trigger just yet, but actively looking when close by (a day's drive), so far: Pearson Triton, Tartan 27, Bristol 27, Taipan 28, Contessa 26, Islander 29

and come very close a few times, closest on a Centaur 26 under $5000.

Yes to me trailerable is not a trailer-sailor, but as you say "road transportable", without a special permit is my goal.

May only actually do so a dozen times , certainly less than annually if health / family obligations cooperate.

Better to wait until I have more capital, without taking too much food out of my dependents' mouths, and they won't allow me to actually get out there much in the meantime.

But if I came across say a Nor'sea 27 in good shape. . .

I at least now own a Rolls Axle trailer big enough to haul one home!

Rather than further derailing here, feel free to discuss my use case in my thread I linked to above.

Tags
liveaboard, trailer