Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 07:17   #31

Re: Tracking Spares and Supplies

Not at all. The more comments, the more ideas to see what works and doesn't.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 06:50   #32

you could use Google Keep to take a pic of part #s, etc as it is a great way to organize your data. Plus its multi-platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First thing I do, which you probably have already done, is to categorize things.

All plumbing related: fittings, pumps, spares, etc. in one place.

All electric: crimps, tools, switches, wire, fuses, etc in one place.

All engine parts: filters, belts, impellers, etc in one place.

But there is still the need to keep a list of spares. A year down the road there is no way that I will remember if I still have a spare gasket or belt or what have you, in the kit.

Best way I can think of is a list, either paper or on a spreadsheet. If on a spreadsheet I would print a copy as well in case you need to find something and the computer is not available. You can keep it less complicated by only detailing essential, consumable spares like the belts, filters, impellers and lumping the rest of the stuff in a miscellaneous category. I organize my lists by location.
Rwwjr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 06:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwwjr65 View Post
you could use Google Keep to take a pic of part #s, etc as it is a great way to organize your data. Plus its multi-platform...
The only problem with this would be the requirement for internet which I want to avoid.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
The only problem with this would be the requirement for internet which I want to avoid.
Yah

Avoid computers and internet stuff

For critical record keeping ...Keep things simple
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:25   #35

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I have bought an assortment of ammo-type dry boxes that I have accumulated related parts and tools in. Engine spares, the red box. Hoses, the red bag. Electrical tools spares and cables orange Sparks 1,2 and 3. Woodworking, Chips green box. Etc, etc, etc. I have at various times tried spreadsheets which are helpful for provisioning and such, but computer function is critical here and not always the case.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:01   #36

I think some people over complicate the cruising lifestyle its only a yacht. Label your lockers P1, P2, S1 etc buy a childrens exercise book, depending on size of locker, allocate number of pages. And list whats in there. I can tell you after 15+ years you wont need half of them but that book will still be there with no wifi, cloud whatever and you will find them
samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:52   #37

Boat: Amel Maramu, 46 ft.

We use an Excel spreadsheet, but only for tools and boat parts (not food or clothing). We find it very helpful. We don't print it - not very useful. We always look at it on the computer, a simple word search for the desired item is all that is needed.
sbmesafirstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

I have boxes labeled (plumbing, electrical, fuel, rigging, etc) and on the inside cover a list of exactly what's in there. When something is used it is added to the "go-get" list to replace.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:37   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
I have boxes labeled (plumbing, electrical, fuel, rigging, etc) and on the inside cover a list of exactly what's in there. When something is used it is added to the "go-get" list to replace.
Good organization is the key, isn't it. An inventory system requires too much maintenance to keep it up to day, in my opinion.

Your approach to the "go get" list is right on, It means you are fixing your boat from the spare parts you have on hand, and then you go to the store to replace the spare part.
Old 03-08-2020, 13:17   #40

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

a great question indeed!
I found myself frequently looking for the part I need for much longer than it would take to complete the entire repair With a cruising boat and her some 50 lockers and compartments, loaded with spares and supplies for a 4,000 nm ocean cruise, a quick finding of an item became a annoying experience.
So I wrote myself an email on my phone, gave it a clear unique subject name, so that I can search for it at any time out of the other 30,000 emails... iPhone search sucks - wish it had the capabilities of Outlook! Then, listed all the compartments bow to stern and under each, listed the stored inventory. I'm trying to group these by purpose: Plumbing, Electrical, Engine, Sealants, Rigging, ss Hardware, pumps, lines by type, canvas repair, dinghy repair, oils/lubricants etc. and list as much as possible under each group.
It requires some discipline; whenever I add/remove/replace something unique, update the email and resend it to myself. It is a bit primitive, but works for me as the phone is always with me.
An excel spreadsheet could be ideal, but not that practical when on the move.
Old 03-08-2020, 19:24   #41

I kept a manual list, no computers then.

Every six months I would update it, and then start over.

You will find, especially if your newley aboard, your lists will change constantly.

No shame, just the way it is.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:55   #42

Boat: Celestial 48

We have a "boat book" and map of all the lazarettes inside and out listing the contents - and yes, like a lot of people, we sort by category - engine, electrical, plumbing etc. and we have the cubbys/lazarettes labeled with a label maker...generally it works but there are a few times that we ordered a part and then discovered the spare later ... oh well...
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:07   #43

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

For the first year we were liveaboards, looking for stuff drove me nuts. Now I use the Note function on my iPhone. I created a folder called BINS. Then I created subfolders with names for where the bin (or other storage area - like a cupboard or behind a settee cushion) were located. For example, a bin could be called PORT SIDE IN V BERTH UNDER MATTRESS or BEHIND SETTEE CUSHION ON STARBOARD SIDE. Food , tools, guides, extra plates, paper products, all get put into a named bin.

The beauty of the Note function is that you can put what you are looking for in a search bar at the very top of the BINS folder and it automatically searches all the bins. So if you have paper towels in three different spots, it will show you all three places.

The beauty of this function is that you usually have your phone with you at the store, so if you can't remember if you have something, you can just check your BINS folder.

Of course, you must remember to add/delete as you buy new supplies or use something. But way easier than doing a spread sheet, in my mind anyway.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 13:36   #44

Boat: Stevens 47

Like most things boating and, perhaps, life, how rigourous of a system you use depends on where you are going to be operating and for how long. For us as a family of five on a limited budget cruising long term in remote areas we carried a lot of tools and materials. There is a lot of storage on the boat, a Stevens 47, but it is spread around into a lot of compartments. Without some tracking it would be sheer chaos and a lot of time would be wasted when tackling projects so we have a spreadsheet with pages for: maintenance tracking (see our blog for details), storage, procurement (things we want to buy when we are in a place where we can receive shipping or we have guests flying in etc), diesel consumption, details of rigging or filter types, etc.

Curious about those who comment about not needing much in the way of tools or parts onboard if it is a well maintained boat. If you are cruising full time I not sure how it is going to be well maintained if you are not using tools and parts ... or just staying in parts of the world where you can just pay people to maintain your boat for you.
Old 16-09-2020, 10:35   #45

Boat: Island Packet 35

Evernote.

Syncs on all devices to include home computer.

Completely searchable. Completely usable and searchable offline.

Could create a separate note by category or by cabin as one poster likes but the search feature will find it wherever it is.

Can create lists, save pictures, etc.
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote