Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 12:59   #16

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Tracking Spares and Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanortho View Post
Simple WORD document under headings (Engine etc)
Spare and its part number and number of spares. I update it easily as I use up the spares. Adding a column for location may be of help but I tend to keep spares grouped by function each in a designated location on boat.
What has also been tremendously useful is my First Aid supply list; meds solutions, dressings, needles, sutures etc often have expiration dates. Since I have several bins of med/ first aid supplies, my Word document lists how many of each and their expiration date. Once a year I go over the list and discard outdated supplies and check that I haven't used up anything without replacing it. Otherwise is virtually impossible to keep these up to date and in sufficient quantity
This makes my former consultant analyst self cringe. Excel does precisely what you're describing but much faster and easier, and is more flexible for adjusting your system over time. However, I will admit that the best system is one you're comfortable using, so more power to you for finding a solution that works. I'm just one of those mega-Excel nerds who enjoys using it for everything under the sun and I can't help myself
JebLostInSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 13:42   #17

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

I use a fantastic app that’s seems to be no longer supported but still works great for me.called What’s On My Boat. It’s for everything including spare jackets winter cloths and tools, spare parts and the dates bought or reminders to buy and maintenance log is there too. We use it for food storage too as it’s too easy to lose track of long shelf life items. .
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:39   #18

Boat: Beneteau 343

I organize my spreadsheet inventory by location more than subject of part. Under v-berth, behind starboard settee forward, under starboard settee aft, etc. I store stuff in plastic bins that are organized by subject; engine stuff, electrical stuff, lubes, tools, etc. but I have found that the location is the key driver. Print out the ss and make notations when appropriate and redo ss every year.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:52   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We found the stupidest system works the best: on iPad create a Notes document for every cabin and list every item that is stored there. The Notes app has a search function that scans all documents and quickly locates the part, tool etc.
Old 17-07-2020, 18:55   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
This makes my former consultant analyst self cringe. Excel does precisely what you're describing but much faster and easier, and is more flexible for adjusting your system over time.
As a current "consultant analyst" and systems developer, this makes me cringe

Too many people misuse Excel as a database.

I wrote a simple MS Access application as a result of this 2016 thread:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2285032

You can get it here:

http://camcopng.com/download/BoatInventory.zip
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 19:02   #21

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

In preparation for the last cruise, I did a full inventory and entered in excel, and printed a copy. As someone else said, the exercise itself was more valuable than the resulting inventory, because I reorganized, found stuff I had lost track of, etc, and ended up with a mental map of generally where everything was, and I could refer to the printed doc if needed, even though it got a little out of date after a while.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 19:05   #22

Boat: Cal-40

When I left the states I had so much extra parts and supplies I had to paint a much higher waterline on my boat. Do yourself a future favor and don’t drag around to much crap.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 19:13   #23
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

if your in the US. home depot sells Husky brand soft tool bags very cheaply. they are fantastic because they will squeeze and conform to any odd shaped compartment. they are also seriously tough and can handle whatever you throw in them. i have a heap of about ten of them in my lazarette for tools, gear, supplies etc...
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 20:48   #24

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Like food at home when the last item comes from stores we add it to the list of items to restock
Old 18-07-2020, 05:46   #25

Boat: Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

You can get it here:

Agreed; I use Word for an inventory of other things and have one inventory list that runs 53 pages and works extremely well
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:12   #26

Quote:

You can get it here:

What is a database but a collection of tables? And what is Excel but an easy tool for making tables?

JKJK, you have a fair point, and I'm constantly guilty of forcing Excel to do things that another tool could do better - I'm an Excel fanboy, what can I say?

Sorry to derail an otherwise valuable thread with my nerdy nerdness.

All I can do is reiterate my previous point that the best system is the one you're comfortable using. Otherwise it will just get out of date and become worthless.
JebLostInSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:50   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
What is a database but a collection of tables? And what is Excel but an easy tool for making tables?
As a former consultant analyst you can seriously ask that?

A database is a collection of tables which have ACID properties (atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability).

A collection of spreadsheets has none of these attributes.

To say nothing of normalisation and referential integrity

Excel may be a reasonable tool for making tables, It is abysmal at maintaining and querying them.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:02   #28

Quote:
As a former consultant analyst you can seriously ask that?

A database is a collection of tables which have ACID properties (atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability).

A collection of spreadsheets has none of these attributes.

To say nothing of normalisation and referential integrity

Excel may be a reasonable tool for making tables, It is abysmal at maintaining and querying them.
I did say I was joking, but if we're going to have the Excel vs. specialized tools argument, then so be it! (Also though, have you played with PowerBI yet? My firm started using it right before I quit, and it seemed pretty rad)

Excel will always win in my heart (subjective, sorry, oh well) because:
It can do everything. You can make excel do anything under the sun. I've done financial models, monte carlos, visual simulations, made forms, maintained inventories (what, a tiny bit of relevance to OPs question? I'll take it!), automated tasks, freaking randomized bingo cards (that was a surprisingly tough one, but also surprisingly fun), etc etc etc. Some nutjobs got it to run DOOM for crying out loud! It may not be phenomenally good at everything, but it is workably decent at everything so if I"m going to learn one tool really really well, I choose Excel.

Everyone has Excel. If I make a tool in Excel, every person under the sun can open it and look at it, and 90% of them are familiar enough to use it. Tell someone to query your .accdb and you get 90% blank looks. (Okay, that can be an advantage in some situations, but as consultants who have to leave tools behind when a project ends, I don't like it).
Old 18-07-2020, 07:06   #29

Ideally, my preferred solution would be platform agnostic. A spreadsheet can be accessed from most devices these days so that is a good start - also being able to print the whole mess is a huge plus.

I also really liked the idea of using the iOS shared notes feature someone recommended above.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:12   #30

NaCly Dog, I really must apologize for derailing your thread. It's possible I got a little over-excited