Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2023, 17:22   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: The (Anti)Social Issues with Starlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventuredad View Post
I wouldn't be able to go cruising without the reliable internet I get from StarLink because I'm not retired and need to work. So, my times that I've been able to get out and socialize with other cruisers just wouldn't be there at all without it. So, you get the good with the bad... now you just have to decide whether having us non-retired folks to socialize with is a good or bad thing. ;-)
It's a good point, and one I mentioned much earlier. Actually, it's kinda a fear. I wonder if this technology will encourage a lot more people to get out cruising, and to go further afield.

I like my empty anchorages . Although, if I'm being less selfish, I'll gladly say there's always room for more. At least there is out here in Newfoundland .
Old 24-03-2023, 18:35   #77

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I can’t speak to whether or not the socializing has decreased. We’ve been cruising up and down the U.S. East Coast and the Bahamas for four years now, and up until this year the introverted part of us kept us removed from the social scene.

But this year we decided to make a concerted effort to meet more people, suggest sundowners, etc. Not every day, mind you, but certainly more than in the past. And I can unequivocally say that we have met more people and socialized more this year than the prior three years combined (and not just because I started a Staniel Cay/Black Point net). You just have to be willing to throw yourself out there. We have yet to be rebuffed.

I think some people want to do it, but for whatever reason are reluctant to stick their necks out. I can say that it has made the overall enjoyable cruising experience even more so.
Old 24-03-2023, 20:33   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I think some people want to do it, but for whatever reason are reluctant to stick their necks out. I can say that it has made the overall enjoyable cruising experience even more so.
I am by far shyer than Jim; and, he is (imo) a good schmoozer. Where there is a difference within a couple where one is the more outgoing, it is usually that one's "job" to make initial contacts. Good on ya, Mr. & Mrs. cthoops, for both of you doing it when it is not easy for either of you. In my experience, it takes both will power and a plan. I can easily ride in the car for an hour and not initiate any conversation. I would say I tend towards the reclusive side.

In the US, it is more expensive to socialize because one is expected to provide both the drinks and the nibbles. In the Oz, the custom is to bring your own bottle and something to share nibbles-wise. It makes "entertaining" into only providing the venue. Over time, more and more new people we meet are both vegetarian of some kind, and many do not take alcohol. So, having people bring their own gets more and more doable, and non-threatening to smaller budgets. I'm mentioning this, because I think it might make it easier if some of you consider changing your rules for sundowners or happy hour...and increase your circle of friends, too. Another thing, I learned from and ex-pat Brit who is a dual citizen, England/Australia, is to invite people for "a cuppa coffee or tea". This is a morning or afternoon deal, and all you are expected to provide is cookies, or coffe or tea cake. It's easier to do if you make it easiest for yourself.

Ann
Old 24-03-2023, 22:31   #79

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Or, even better, "I caught more lobsters than we can eat, and I have this big bottle of good mezcal someone gave me for Christmas and no way I can ever finish it, dinghy over and join us!" Now certainly that will put a bit of a pause in the connection with the outside world for a few minutes...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 05:07   #80
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Or, even better, "I caught more lobsters than we can eat, and I have this big bottle of good mezcal someone gave me for Christmas and no way I can ever finish it, dinghy over and join us!" Now certainly that will put a bit of a pause in the connection with the outside world for a few minutes...
I would come over for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25-03-2023, 09:26   #81

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Hey Don - where did you say you are anchoring? We're in Tanacatita - but if you offering lobster and mezcal.........................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 09:41   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hey Don - where did you say you are anchoring? We're in Tanacatita - but if you offering lobster and mezcal.........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would come over for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm telling ya, the best way to solve this is to offer something better than what's coming through the airwaves, says the dad with two kids!

Years ago I caught a huge halibut right off the stern of my boat in an anchorage. I had halibut for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND I made a bunch of new friends in the anchorage with gifts of fresh halibut!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-03-2023, 09:42   #83

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm telling ya, the best way to solve this is to offer something better than what's coming through the airwaves, says the dad with two kids!

Years ago I caught a huge halibut right off the stern of my boat in an anchorage. I had halibut for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND I made a bunch of new friends in the anchorage with gifts of fresh halibut!
hmmm - evading the question - are you

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 25-03-2023, 09:43   #84

Here, this thread is sure to make new friends wherever you go!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-113368.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-03-2023, 09:46   #85

Quote:
hmmm - evading the question - are you
I'm kinda far north of you right now, but I'll probably be down in a few years; hang out and wait there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-03-2023, 09:48   #86

oh, and btw, I don't give the mezcal to the kids.

...at least not the good stuff
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-03-2023, 09:49   #87

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here, this thread is sure to make new friends wherever you go!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-113368.html
yeah but I'm a carnivore ( you know, long incisors etc) Where are the big steak recipies? Huge roasts? 3/4 pound cheeseburgers?

hmmm - what will happen to my cholesterol? Blood pressure? my general health will deteriorate if I start eating all those plants.

Besides, I'll lose weight and have to buy new clothes.

And finally - Beer tastes better with a pepperoni covered pizza than one covered with anchovies.

Old 25-03-2023, 10:09   #88

Quote:
yeah but I'm a carnivore ( you know, long incisors etc) Where are the big steak recipies? Huge roasts? 3/4 pound cheeseburgers?

hmmm - what will happen to my cholesterol? Blood pressure? my general health will deteriorate if I start eating all those plants.

Besides, I'll lose weight and have to buy new clothes.

And finally - Beer tastes better with a pepperoni covered pizza than one covered with anchovies.
Agreed. Given the option of visiting the boat with grilled eggplant and or the one serving big steaks...hmmm....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-03-2023, 09:46   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
And $200 bucks a month is expensive compared to the alternative, which is
Not being able to cruise...

That's the alternative for some of us. $200/month for the freedom to cruise anywhere in the world sounds like a pretty good deal.
IT_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 02:34   #90

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Only applies in Australia.. here in Portugal today I can buy 5 bottles of good beer for the $12 I had to pay for 1 in Darwin in 2014.
Wanna get ripped off.. go to Oz..
The beer I buy in Darwin (not the cheapest) is $60 for a carton (=30 cans). Now, I had a couple of them already, but I think it's $2/cans, so I can buy 6 cans for $12.

ahun is offline   Reply With Quote