Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2023, 17:51   #91

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Starlink Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I'd like to think users are smart enough to only use it for weather and email
So using several gb/MTH when in the black
Hardly making serious bank for Elon there
Based on reports from Starlink on Boats group it runs the gamut from a couple bucks to $200+.

I mean sure if SpaceX improves the service for zero additional cost despite the fact they have essentially no competitition I am not going to complain but I am not going to be expecting it.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 17:54   #92

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Price is not merely cost time some fixed percentage. Starlink with unlimited coastal internet @ $150/mo and offshore at $2/GB is an outstanding deal. SpaceX isn't going to go cheaper. Why would they? To make less revenue?

If they ever off some plan cheaper than $150/mo it will be data limited. How about 10GB (total including coastal usage) for $10/mo. Or $50/mo with zero data and pay as you go $2/GB. These would offer an "inferior" service at a lower pricepoint without canablizing existing sales.
It's a new product for a market that hasn't had high speed Internet access before. We can be sure Starlink will price it at a level that yields the greatest profit. Ultimately, $2 per GB is a test of sorts. If many people who enjoyed the unlimited now cancel, it might be that a price reduction that retains yields more profits. Or, if everyone stays and even exceeds the 50GB base and buys more, then a price increase would be in order.

The most profitable is probably to have introductory signing offers of cheaper service for a year before huge increases, and annual contracts to hold us when qos goes to hell. Lets hope starlink doesn't go there.

We can only guess.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 18:09   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Having actually used Starlink…. We went from Grand Cayman to Bocas del Toro, Panama a few weeks ago. We have the Roam plan. We switched on the “ocean” option as we left Grand Cayman. And turned it off when we arrived in Panama. It was very simple to use. We had 3 onboard, and didn’t change our habits. A friend that was with us spent much of the working hours on the phone. Worked flawlessly. Used 26GB. About $50. It was worth every penny.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 18:32   #94

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Based on reports from Starlink on Boats group it runs the gamut from a couple bucks to $200+.

Yeah well that site certainly shows who's switched on and who's not

Quote:
I mean sure if SpaceX improves the service for zero additional cost despite the fact they have essentially no competitition I am not going to complain but I am not going to be expecting it.
What I suggested frees up bandwidth
Bandwidth they can sell to more end users
More end users is more $$
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:52   #95

Quote:
What I suggested frees up bandwidth
Bandwidth they can sell to more end users
More end users is more $$
This is a common misnomer. Artificially reducing speed without reducing the datacap doesn't free up throughput because the connection is just used longer. If you are downloading a 50 MB file it is 50MB regardless. At 50 Mbps it will download in 1 second and you are done the capacity is freed up for other users. If they artificially cap you to 2 Mbps then sure you use less of the beam capacity but you will use it 25x as long.

Artificial speed caps are simply a way to make money which is why isps have them. It doesn't cost Comcast significantly more to give you a 200 Mbps pipe over a 50 Mbps pipe they just do that because people will upgrade to the more expensive plan and those price sensitive will still have a (slightly) lower priced option. The network has a finite amount of capacity regardless. So far SpaceX has never imposed artificial speed caps because they don't improve the network they just improve revenue (by forcing people to upgrading to "faster" more expensive plans).

Yes mobile users are deprioritized over priority and residential users so speeds can be slower at times but they aren't artificially slow. Sometimes mobile users get 100 Mbps simply because that is what is available. If the node is uncongested it is ideal to let the user download as fast as possible so they are done.

If SpaceX wanted more cheaper plans they are going to be data capped or payg. Something like $50 a month with zero data and then PAYG $2/GB (no unlimited coastal). This would allows service for users for whom the $150/mo minimum is too much without cannibalizing existing users. Anyone using 50GB+ in coastal waters a month would be better off with existing plans.

To be clear personally I think it would be great is SpaceX offered unlimited ocean service at no additional cost but given they have essentially zero competition there is no reason for them to do so. In coastal waters they at least compete with LTE. In the middle of the Atlantic who is the competition? KVH with a $25k dish and $600/mo 1GB plan? If LTE competition becomes significant enough I could even see shifting the pricing to be cheaper coastal and more expensive offshore. For example instead of $150/mo +$2/GB offshore it is $100/mo + $3/GB offshore.

I am not saying I know for sure what SpaceX will do just that it is entirely possible there is never a better plan than the $150 Roam + $2/GB for cruisers. Since LTE is the competition especially for the much larger non-liveaboard market if SpaceX does offer cheaper plans I would presume they may have significant limits. There are people who would pay $50/mo for some modest amount of data but despite it being a better deal per GB they have no interest in $150/mo with unlimited coastal data.
Old 19-06-2023, 08:15   #96

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Most folks on here seem to be taking a US centric view on this.

The SE US is the ONLY place where Starlink is saturated. Elsewhere, usage is low enough that significant discounts ARE being offered. We're in Chile at the moment, & I just bought a system for US$400 & $75/mo for Regional Roaming. Much of Europe enjoys discounts as well, & Italy is about half the price of the US, & the Philippines are even cheaper (with the sad exception of the HP "in-motion" antenna).

In places where Starlink has the bandwidth (EVERYWHERE except the SE US) it behooves Starlink to get as many people signed up as possible. Since the system is essentially entirely automated, it costs Starlink nothing to add another user, so we're all gravy as far as they're concerned. Yes, they're still spending beaucoup de bucks to build out the system, but that's just adding bandwidth for places that are saturated.

Starlink wants to maximize profits, & the best way to do that is to get as many people outside the US signed up as possible, since they have the available bandwidth. They know that, & that's why they offer discounts in much of the world. So prices ARE variable, & I suspect that Starlink will continue to adjust their plans.

I think that it's a good idea to tell Starlink what sorts of plans are best for the cruising community. Personally, I like the idea of reducing speed if that will reduce my costs, since we're quite happy with LTE-level speeds.

Unfortunately, we're a tiny & largely misunderstood community, & there are very few ways to get suggestions through to Starlink.
Old 19-06-2023, 08:21   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Most folks on here seem to be taking a US centric view on this.

The SE US is the ONLY place where Starlink is saturated. Elsewhere, usage is low enough that significant discounts ARE being offered. We're in Chile at the moment, & I just bought a system for US$400 & $75/mo for Regional Roaming. Much of Europe enjoys discounts as well, & Italy is about half the price of the US, & the Philippines are even cheaper (with the sad exception of the HP "in-motion" antenna).
For land service sure but a notable feature of boats is they move. If you want cheap Starlink for you residence in an area that is unsaturated that likely will happen. Global ocean internet though is unlikely to get cheaper. I mean what are you going to do? Switch to a $25,000 KVH dish and pay $600 a month for one gigabyte of data?

Cruisers aren't the only boats. SL is insanely cheap compared to the competition. If cruisers don't want to buy SL then SpaceX will happily sell significantly more expensive plans to cruise ships, containerships, fisherman, ferries, etc. In the future water cells will also be supporting overhead passenger jets on even more expensive plans.

While in the ocean service may be relatively uncongested at anchorages, marinas, and ports that isn't universally true. Just wait until a starlink equipped cruise ship (or 4) stop in the same cell you are located.
Old 19-06-2023, 08:57   #98

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
For land service sure but a notable feature of boats is they move. If you want cheap Starlink for you residence in an area that is unsaturated that likely will happen. Global ocean internet though is unlikely to get cheaper. I mean what are you going to do? Switch to a $25,000 KVH dish and pay $600 a month for one gigabyte of data?

Cruisers aren't the only boats. SL is insanely cheap compared to the competition. If cruisers don't want to buy SL then SpaceX will happily sell significantly more expensive plans to cruise ships, containerships, fisherman, ferries, etc. In the future water cells will also be supporting overhead passenger jets on even more expensive plans.

While in the ocean service may be relatively uncongested at anchorages, marinas, and ports that isn't universally true. Just wait until a starlink equipped cruise ship (or 4) stop in the same cell you are located.
Statistical, while I've enjoyed your factual posts, I get tired of your continued negative attitude on this thread. You don't know what Starlink's going to do any better than anyone else. Presumably you're continuing your negativity for your own reasons, or you think that others shouldn't get their hopes up, or something. OK, we've heard you.

But most of us prefer to be optimistic, even if that doesn't come to pass.

And most of us prefer to DO something, to suggest possible solutions, rather than to simply attempt to shoot everything down, despite the FACT that you don't know anything more than anyone else.

All of us have different financial situations. To say it's "cheap" really only says that YOU have enough to afford it. Yes it's better than other solutions in many regards, but it's not the "best" for everyone yet.

An attitude of trying to find solutions for those not as fortunate as yourself would go a long way to other folks appreciating what you say.

And to shoot down my idea by claiming that a cell will become saturated when multiple cruise-ships invade my anchorage is completely ludicrous, & shows off you negative attitude. We don't anchor anywhere near cruise-ships, & haven't seen even ONE while cruising in many (MANY) years.

Instead of shooting down worthwhile suggestions, you should try to come up with some of your own. If you don't like one, then propose something better. Nobody likes negativity.
Old 19-06-2023, 09:12   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Statistical, while I've enjoyed your factual posts, I get tired of your continued negative attitude on this thread. You don't know what Starlink's going to do any better than anyone else. Presumably you're continuing your negativity for your own reasons, or you think that others shouldn't get their hopes up, or something. OK, we've heard you.

But most of us prefer to be optimistic, even if that doesn't come to pass.

And most of us prefer to DO something, to suggest possible solutions, rather than to simply attempt to shoot everything down, despite the FACT that you don't know anything more than anyone else.

All of us have different financial situations. To say it's "cheap" really only says that YOU have enough to afford it. Yes it's better than other solutions in many regards, but it's not the "best" for everyone yet.

An attitude of trying to find solutions for those not as fortunate as yourself would go a long way to other folks appreciating what you say.

And to shoot down my idea by claiming that a cell will become saturated when multiple cruise-ships invade my anchorage is completely ludicrous, & shows off you negative attitude. We don't anchor anywhere near cruise-ships, & haven't seen even ONE while cruising in many (MANY) years.

Instead of shooting down worthwhile suggestions, you should try to come up with some of your own. If you don't like one, then propose something better. Nobody likes negativity.
I don't really see it as negativity but I will refrain from posting more. I DO think SpaceX may offer cheaper mobile plans in the future but those plans IMHO will come with significant restrictions in order to attractive customers with a lower maximum price point not to make the existing service better and cheaper.

If you think significantly cheaper AND better service is going to happen then feel free to keep hoping.

My comment about cruise ships went completely over your head. The local conditions in your particular anchorage are irrelevant unless some hypothetical future cheap plan was limited to your anchorage only. Your boat can move even if you never move it you could move. You could move to an area with significantly higher demand and the pricing reflects that. SpaceX only has essentially two level of mobility plans: regional which is continent sized and global which is planet sized. I am pretty sure there is at least one Starlink equipped cruise ship within the limits of your current continent.

Quote:
To say it's "cheap" really only says that YOU have enough to afford it. Yes it's better than other solutions in many regards, but it's not the "best" for everyone yet.
Again no. It is cheap relative to the alternatives. What offshore internet service is more economical than Starlink. If Starlink is the cheapest possible option offshore what incentive does SpaceX have to offer the same level of service at a lower pricepoint? Now maybe some ultra limited service like 10GB max (no unlimited coastal) for $50 and then $2/GB. That would be quite attractive to people currently using Iridium that can't justify $150/mo as an entry point but it would also be significantly more limited so as to not just have every existing $150/mo downgrade to $50/mo and cut SpaceX revenue by 2/3rds.
Old 19-06-2023, 10:12   #100

I completed a passage from HI to the PNW and was amazed at how well Starlink worked. The first few days departing HI was a little spotty but then we had a solid video quality connection the entire trip, even in very rocky conditions (we were in a 45' sailboat). I was on the maritime plan (~$250/month with 50GB priority data) and NOT using the in-motion hardware.

Overall I was blown away by the quality.
SoggyHalyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 11:10   #101
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore.

Starlink works, period!
Old 19-06-2023, 12:29   #102

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
This is a common misnomer. Artificially reducing speed without reducing the datacap doesn't free up throughput because the connection is just used longer. If you are downloading a 50 MB file it is 50MB regardless. At 50 Mbps it will download in 1 second and you are done the capacity is freed up for other users. If they artificially cap you to 2 Mbps then sure you use less of the beam capacity but you will use it 25x as long.
Did you miss the but where I suggested exactly that.
A 200gb data cap

Quote:
We'll go the other way then

Limit it to 200gb/ MTH but usable anywhere.
That'd modify the usage of the ones rapeing the system by streaming or downloading 4k video when 720p is more than adequate
And free up bandwidth for even more subscribers
I consider myself I high user yet have never in the history of the interwebs used more than 125gb/mth - for the last decade or more we have been on a 100gb plan with speeds typically less than 10mb/s
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 16:51   #103

Boat: Valiant 42

I'm trying to sign up right now. When I select the High Performance dish under ROAM solution the regional $150 and global $200 service plans go away and the only option remains $250 priority data 50GB.

The MOBILITY service only offer the HP dish and the $250 priority data 50GB .

How do I get the High Performance dish with a ROAM service plan where I can toggle on $2/GB priority data but otherwise enjoy standard unlimited land services while "in port"?

SL seems to be forcing hardware/service options at order. Do they allow me to immediately downgrade from 50GB priority to Global Roam (with the option to toggle priority mobility data at $2 per GB)?

PS I found this comment on an RV internet resource:

"While Starlink may force certain dish choices with certain plans on their webpage, once you have an account with a dish and a plan, you can move up and down in plans as desired and are not limited to certain plans because of the dish you own."

thanks for any guidance - the website is confusing and seems to have changed since I looked a month ago.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 16:55   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I'm trying to sign up right now. When I select the High Performance dish under ROAM solution the regional $150 and global $200 service plans go away and the only option remains $250 priority data 50GB.

The MOBILITY service only offer the HP dish and the $250 priority data 50GB .

How do I get the High Performance dish with a ROAM service plan where I can toggle on $2/GB priority data but otherwise enjoy standard unlimited land services while "in port"?

SL seems to be forcing hardware/service options at order. Do they allow me to immediately downgrade from 50GB priority to Global Roam (with the option to toggle priority mobility data at $2 per GB)?

thanks for any guidance - the website is confusing and seems to have changed since I looked a month ago.
You don't really need the high performance dish but if you really want it buy it from a third party reseller when you activate it you will have all the plan options. Stupid you need to do that but apparently for SpaceX simple things like website and apps that work are too hard while putting 10,000 sats into orbit is easy.

In the US you can use:
https://winegard.com/starlink

If outside the US you will need to find a local reseller but there should be one.

(There also is a way to do it if you buy it from SpaceX directly but it is a stupid clown show of extra steps and cost that you can just avoid that buying the dish from a third party)
Old 19-06-2023, 16:59   #105

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
You don't really need the high performance dish but if you really want it buy it from a third party reseller when you activate it you will have all the plan options.
Thanks, but I'm worried the language about the other dish not being supported for mobile priority (ocean) will come around to bite me later.

not that I'm happy with the power consumption.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet