Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2023, 14:35   #16

Boat: S2-35C
Re: Sold home bought boat - now what?!

I've bee using ST Brendens for 10 years or so and have ran into issues from time to time. Normally, I've been able to get a loan or insurance from another company. My FL D/L has 411 Walnut st on it, as does my checking, savings, 401k and another brokerage account. Ironically, setting up another individual brokerage account with the same brokerage that holds my 401K was hell. They wanted a real address even though I already had an account with them, could not get any variances from managers. I was bouncing from marina to marina, they wouldn't accept a credit card receipt. They wanted a lease signed in blood. In the end I was going to another marina for a couple months and they agreed to putting it in writing and that was accepted. The gov and finance companies don't likeyou living outside the hamster cage they've constructed.
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 14:41   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
You are lucky and the bank is breaking the law if it was for an account. Here in New York you need multiple proofs of your residence address to get a driver's license. You can also have a mailing address, but you need something like a lease or a utility bill to prove where you live. The workaround is they accept bank statements and credit card bills too, but then you have to make sure they match your address. I had to do the same when opening an account at a bank where my whole family has had accounts going back to the 1950s. I know the bank president personally and the staff knew me, but I needed multiple proofs of residence address to open an account. They are required by law to check those things and keep records.

The bank didn’t break the law. They don’t know if I live there or not.

My mail forwarding address is on everything. It has been for decades.m

With the new requirement, they need something that is not the mail forwarding address so just give them any address. It doesn’t matter.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 14:45   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
ith the new requirement, they need something that is not the mail forwarding address so just give them any address. It doesn’t matter.
But, you need to show them documentation of that address like a driver's license. Any old address won't work unless it is on your driver's license. And what happens when they send something important to that address? I've received checks out of the blue for substantial sums for odd things I wasn't expecting, like a several hundred dollar refund of overpaid health insurance premiums, and the stimulas checks during Covid were for thousands. I've received new credit and debit cards not asked for. Legal notices. Tax notices. Stuff like that.
Old 12-09-2023, 14:56   #19

Quote:
But, you need to show them documentation of that address like a driver's license. Any old address won't work unless it is on your driver's license. And what happens when they send something important to that address? I've received checks out of the blue for substantial sums for odd things I wasn't expecting, like a several hundred dollar refund of overpaid health insurance premiums, and the stimulas checks during Covid were for thousands. I've received new credit and debit cards not asked for. Legal notices. Tax notices. Stuff like that.
Because of all these stupid laws everyone now has two addresses. Nothing important goes to the “home address” and yes, you can find it in my DMV record also.

Your mistake is you are not understanding how the system works exactly. You have yours set up wrong if things are going to that home address. Everything goes to your mailing address. They only have your home address as a secondary address, and that’s true I’ve literally everything. From IDs to bank accounts to insurance which actually does not require some home address, to everything.

I didn’t take any Covid checks. They would have gone to my mail forwarding address which is the address the IRS has. But, I didn’t feel like leeching off society. I’m a strong person who can make it on my own. I didn’t need welfare.
Old 12-09-2023, 15:04   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

What’s a PMB?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 15:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What’s a PMB?

Postal mailbox. It is a little box in the government mail delivery office in the States.

You can sign up for one and have mail delivered to it
Old 12-09-2023, 15:16   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Hmmm. Must be a very local acronym, Merriam-Webster indicates it’s a Private Mail Box. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/PMB

Where exactly are you Chotu and where’s the OP?

Most places in the US refer to them as POs or PO numbers (short for Post Office Box).
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 15:20   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Does not work for things like your drivers license or opening a new bank account today! They check every address and if it is not a legit residence address it is no go. Some companies will not even ship packages to anything but your home street address that is where your credit card is registered. Sure there are workarounds, but make your life easier and find a legit residence street address someplace.
It's worked for us for decades for all purposes. Just renewed my drivers license and passport, changed my bank two months ago ... no problem. Do you really think the bureaucrats go on to Google maps to see what kind of building it is ?
Old 12-09-2023, 15:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Hmmm. Must be a very local acronym, Merriam-Webster indicates it’s a Private Mail Box. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/PMB

Where exactly are you Chotu and where’s the OP?

Most places in the US refer to them as POs or PO numbers (short for Post Office Box).

They have more than one name. PMB, PO Box. Same thing.

I think it might be fairly obvious that I am everywhere. I travel all over. I am not in any given place. I am moving.
Old 12-09-2023, 15:21   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380

In Virginia from my experience when you change address your DL isn't changed unless you actively want it changed. We lived in VA for 14 years and moved 3 times. My address is still the first corporate housing we lived in for 4 months on my license. My mailing address with the State is my PO Box here in Urbanna. Also in Urbanna you have to have a PO Box if you live in town. My physical address is one I kind of made up. We own a acreage outside of Urbanna. I put a mail box on the road and went to he Post Office and got it listed as an address. Nothing goes there since we have a PO Box. Apple is the only credit card that balked since there is no home there they said, but they sent me my new card and I had FedEx drop it off at the local Dollar General.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 15:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It's worked for us for decades for all purposes. Just renewed my drivers license and passport, changed my bank two months ago ... no problem. Do you really think the bureaucrats go on to Google maps to see what kind of building it is ?
That is exactly what my bank did. They opened up the address on Google maps while I was sitting there and saw my mail forwarding place. Then they said they needed a home address. And I gave them the really old one and that was fine because it came up as a house on Google maps
Old 12-09-2023, 15:33   #27

Boat: Finnsailer 38

PMB stands for Private Mail Box, and it is one rented from a business like a UPS Store. Today these mail forwarders are officially CMRAs: Commercial Mail Receiving Agency. And, the CMRA's are required by law to get your proof of actual residence address and check it too! As is the Post Office if you rent a PO Box. These folks don't go on Google Maps. There are online databases describing every mailable address in the USA in detail, with all sorts of codes. The Postal Service also has address verification that many companies use to make sure you match your address. Watch out filing a change of address with the Postal Service--that will become your address that is checked by many companies. I have had credit card companies automatically change my address without my asking. Your voter registration will get cancelled too. Here's the thing, to get a driver's license today you have to prove your residence address, and to do that you need mail sent to that address recently, so any old address won't work unless it is also where you get your mail.
Old 12-09-2023, 15:34   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That is exactly what my bank did. They opened up the address on Google maps while I was sitting there and saw my mail forwarding place. Then they said they needed a home address. And I gave them the really old one and that was fine because it came up as a house on Google maps
My UPS box in on the main floor of a condo/commercial building,
Suite 240 ... works fine, never a question
Old 12-09-2023, 15:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My UPS box in on the main floor of a condo/commercial building,
Suite 240 ... works fine, never a question
Lucky. Mine is just a storefront
Old 12-09-2023, 15:44   #30

Quote:
PMB stands for Private Mail Box, and it is one rented from a business like a UPS Store. Today these mail forwarders are officially CMRAs: Commercial Mail Receiving Agency. And, the CMRA's are required by law to get your proof of actual residence address and check it too! As is the Post Office if you rent a PO Box. These folks don't go on Google Maps. There are online databases describing every mailable address in the USA in detail, with all sorts of codes. The Postal Service also has address verification that many companies use to make sure you match your address. Watch out filing a change of address with the Postal Service--that will become your address that is checked by many companies. I have had credit card companies automatically change my address without my asking. Your voter registration will get cancelled too. Here's the thing, to get a driver's license today you have to prove your residence address, and to do that you need mail sent to that address recently, so any old address won't work unless it is also where you get your mail.

Wow. New York sucks. Sorry you have such terrible living conditions and government overreach.

It’s a fine place to visit but wow.

And I don’t know who told me PBM wrong. But years ago somebody told me that. So I guess I listened to the wrong person. It was in Florida somewhere that they told me that

Tags
how to get mail, No address