Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2023, 05:36   #1

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Solar system questions

First time liveaboard on our newly purchased 2011 SO 409.

No generator onboard
Small fridge
AC
Eventually, water maker.

I’m sure I forget things I’ll need.
But based in your experience what do you think is a good starting point?
I would preferably like a system I can expend. Does it mean a “strong” inverter and then upgrade the panels as technology improves?..

I understand I’ll need at least 800 w, or more if I can afford.
What panel brands are standard and reliable?

Then I’ll need an inverter. 2000 w right?
Any brand?

Batteries….

Thx!
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 05:49   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Solar system questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post

No generator onboard
Small fridge
AC
Eventually, water maker.

I would preferably like a system I can expend. Does it mean a “strong” inverter and then upgrade the panels as technology improves?..

I understand I’ll need at least 800 w, or more if I can afford.

Any brand?

Batteries….

Thx!
What boat is that? Do you have a picture? Your starting point is planning a location for the system you want to end at, then find the path to get there.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 07:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What boat is that? ...
Quote:
. our newly purchased 2011 SO 409...
Sun Odyssey 409?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 07:55   #4

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sun Odyssey 409?

sun odyssey yes
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 08:32   #5

In order to answer your question, you need to first do an energy budget (sometimes called energy audit). Then you can start figuring out the size of the different parts to support your use.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 09:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
In order to answer your question, you need to first do an energy budget (sometimes called energy audit). Then you can start figuring out the size of the different parts to support your use.
This.

You need to add up all of the draw and usage through the day. All electrical devices are feed by the batteries, solar is only meant to recharge the batteries.

You need a bat. bank that will support your needs and then enough solar to recharge the batteries. AC is a big draw. You may want to consider using fans more often.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 09:28   #7

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm sure everyone will tell you to figure out how much power you use, blah blah blah.

The reality is that you want as much as possible to avoid living like you are camping. Then make compromises from there. Spend more for highly efficient items.

Your list says AC. If you mean air conditioning, this is a lot more energy than you will likely be able to make.

Talk to other SO owners and see who put up the maximum solar and batteries. Buy the best of everything, do it once and then live with what you make.

Disregard anyone who says over paneling your controllers is smart.

Repeat, maximize efficiency every step of the way.

Victron & Blue Sea are great brands to build a system. LG NeonR panels or NeonH BiFacials if you can still find them. It won't be cheap or easy.

Just remember batteries only store energy. A huge house bank won't make any power, but will give you more time for solar to catch up on rainy or cloudy days.
Old 13-07-2023, 10:35   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Newpowa and Rich Solar are making good quality and affordable solar panels in the 100W to 300W range. Highly recommend Victron anything.
Old 13-07-2023, 11:54   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Picture of the boat? I hope it has a bit more than the picture posted above….

No Bimini, no dodger, no davits?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 12:24   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Congratulations!

Quote:

No generator onboard
Small fridge
AC
Eventually, water maker.

Space for panels, not panel cost, is usually limiting. To some extent you can make more space by accepting more windage, by making a stern arch and putting panels on it. There's still a practical upper bound of around 2000 watts of panels.

I do not use air conditioning. I have 380 watts of panels and find that it makes a huge difference but that it is not enough to stay at anchor indefinitely with the fridge running. While under way we use more power (mainly for the radar and chartplotter but also the autopilot) but there is inevitably a certain limited amount of motoring and with a high-output alternator that makes up for some of that.

With air conditioning, well, on a monohull you'll need all the panels you can fit and then some.

Quote:

Panel technology and price are IMO unlikely to improve much in the foreseeable future. The panels themselves are a small part of the cost compared to mounts, wiring, controls, labor, batteries, etc.

Quote:

Any from a reputable dealer, solar-electric.com, emarineinc.com, etc. You want in-country warranty and parts service from someone who cares.

Quote:

I think 2000 watts is a good size for a 40ish-foot boat. You might want to look at the 3500 watt ones because in some cases they have built-in transfer switch components that will reduce the overall complexity and footprint of the installation for very little net cost. The extraordinarily large battery cables (assuming 12v) for the 3500 watt inverters are the main drawback imo.

Quote:

Any brand?

Victron is sort of the score to beat with this stuff. International sales and support network, widely recognized product readily approved by surveyors and insurance companies, easy to install, easy to troubleshoot, good documentation.

Quote:
Batteries….

Ballpark think in terms of your solar capacity x 10 hours for lead acid, half that for lithium. I have 380 watts of solar and have a little over 4 kwh of lead acid batteries, for example, which works out well. Over 10 years batteries will be the largest cost item in the electrical system.

I believe that the life cycle cost for lithium is lower than for AGMs, even in the USA, at this point. I don't recommend flooded lead acid batteries on a sailboat but some people do use them. They are cheaper up front, anywhere, and in the USA the cost per year is probably lower than lithium.
Old 13-07-2023, 12:45   #11

Boat: Fountain Pajot Venezia 42

I just build a complete system with 1600 watts solar, 4 X 280 Ah Lithium, 5 Mppts and two DC/DC chargers controlled by a Cerbo. I took everything from Victron, except the Batteries. 5000 Watts Victron Quattro Inverter. But I have the space to fit 10 Panels on my 30 year old) Katamaran So far, with some rainy days, 6 people on board, Watermaker and mini Washing machine no Problems. Once we where down . 46 % Batteries.

If you can afford it, I would recommend to go with Victron, it makes.everything easy to configure. Good help for planning this can be found at RV companies. As a rule of thumb they are a bit cheaper than the yachting companies.
Damir36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 13:03   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

8 planets, not 9.
Various moons.
Bunch of minor planets
Asteroid belt
Kuiper Belt
Heliopause
Oort Cloud.
Occasional comets which are probably. Oort Cloud objects who’s orbits have been perturbed.
Periodic meteor showers.

What else you want to know about the solar system?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 14:01   #13

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir36 View Post
I just build a complete system with 1600 watts solar, 4 X 280 Ah Lithium, 5 Mppts and two DC/DC chargers controlled by a Cerbo. I took everything from Victron, except the Batteries. 5000 Watts Victron Quattro Inverter. But I have the space to fit 10 Panels on my 30 year old) Katamaran So far, with some rainy days, 6 people on board, Watermaker and mini Washing machine no Problems. Once we where down . 46 % Batteries.

If you can afford it, I would recommend to go with Victron, it makes.everything easy to configure. Good help for planning this can be found at RV companies. As a rule of thumb they are a bit cheaper than the yachting companies.

Which battery manufacturer are you using?
Old 14-07-2023, 03:43   #14

Boat: Fountain Pajot Venezia 42

I went with bulltron, a German manufacturer Batteries seem great, but the BMS (the App) is not so great
Damir36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 04:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
8 planets, not 9.
Various moons.
Bunch of minor planets
Asteroid belt
Kuiper Belt
Heliopause
Oort Cloud.
Occasional comets which are probably. Oort Cloud objects who’s orbits have been perturbed.
Periodic meteor showers.

What else you want to know about the solar system?
Our solar system, located in an outer spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, consists of our star, the Sun, and everything bound to it by gravity – the planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune; dwarf planets such as Pluto; dozens of moons; and millions of asteroids, comets, and meteoroids.
More ➥ https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/solar-s...stem/in-depth/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar