Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 17:42   #1

Hot Water - Low Flow

Hi All -
Wondering if anyone has had an issue w/ the their hot water flow/ volume being much lower than the cold water. I have a 10gallon Torrid water heater.
I've removed the outlet line which feeds the distribution lines and it's clean - there's no buildup. Yet, I get low flow on all faucets and showers. The cold water flows just fine. Any input or ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Californian42
Calinfornian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 18:55   #2

Re: Hot Water - Low Flow

Some hot water systems have a check valve on the inlet to the water heater. If that is not opening cleanly, that can be the cause.

Start breaking lines, and seeing where the flow restriction begins. It's not rocket science, it's plumbing. If there is a hole big enough for the water to flow through, it will.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 19:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The line from my water tanks to the water heat and back to the faucets is twice as long as my cold water lines ... Friction loss is my issue.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:53   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I have an antiscald valve on my heater outlet. It sometimes sticks and I need to cycle it. I understand some HW units have one of these built in.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:54   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Some hot water systems have a check valve on the inlet to the water heater. If that is not opening cleanly, that can be the cause.
Right.
Shore systems, where we are using huge quantities of hot water at municipal pressure tends to keep the check valves more freely operating.
On boats hot water is treated as almost sacred, generally using as little as possible as infrequently as possible.
The common "flapper" check valves get sticky and are not really necessary on boat water heaters.

Tags
water