Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 21:33   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

The sailboats I observe are usually motoring. They have efficient hulls so get good mileage. On the other hand, they have limited fuel tankage. So going long range, they need sails.

Old 13-12-2013, 21:51   #32

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The sailboats I observe are usually motoring. They have efficient hulls so get good mileage. On the other hand, they have limited fuel tankage. So going long range, they need sails.

Some sailboats have been build for long range, perhaps not those built for the charter market.

What's the powered range of Steve Dashew's designs for one.

What's your range Mark?

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 21:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

What's your range Mark?
A thousand miles, plus .
Old 13-12-2013, 22:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandw View Post
My husband and I are considering selling our house and purchasing a boat to live aboard. I am looking for advice regarding living aboard a sailboat vs a motor yacht. We love the idea of a sailboat and being able to do long trips without the huge cost of a motor yacht, but my gut tells me that a motor yacht might be a better choice for us because living space and an open, light living quarters is important. I am not sure, as we are not retired, how many long trips we will make and I want to make sure we are comfortable on a daily basis. Any feedback would be very welcomed!
If you want open, light living quarters and space, as well as the ability to sail, consider a catamaran.

Our boat:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 22:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you want open, light living quarters and space, as well as the ability to sail, consider a catamaran.

Our boat:
I was surprised. That was almost as noisy as my 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine.
Old 13-12-2013, 23:06   #36

Don't know what drugs you're using.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 00:06   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
I only motor in and out of my marina Berth, I bought a sail boat so I could sail, sail boats make inefficient motor boats, if you aint gunna sail them the you may as well buy a motor boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 00:08   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
I was surprised. That was almost as noisy as my 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine.
Seriously.

That was the sound of wind on a microphone, the sound of a sail boat sailing, quite well I might acknowledge. Doing 9 knots boat speed when some condo cats would be motoring.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 11:44   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I read above that the choice is to be made by comfort, lighting, where you cruise or the distance of your cruising, but I don't see those as deterrmining factors. Sailing is a sport that is separate from boating. If you're thrilled by sailing, then buy a sailboat. If sailing is not a sport that you have a passion for, then buy the motor boat. I've put 6,460 hours on my current refit engine in my sailboat, but I love sailing and some of my most enjoyable sailing is without a destination. I think sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail!
Old 15-12-2013, 11:59   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

I only motor in and out of my marina Berth, I bought a sail boat so I could sail, sail boats make inefficient motor boats, if you aint gunna sail them the you may as well buy a motor boat.
Depends on how you define inefficient. If you mean interior living space for purchase price then yeah they are inefficient. If you start talking miles per gallon the the sailboat will have it all over the power boat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:04   #41

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I read above that the choice is to be made by comfort, lighting, where you cruise or the distance of your cruising, but I don't see those as deterrmining factors. Sailing is a sport that is separate from boating. If you're thrilled by sailing, then buy a sailboat. If sailing is not a sport that you have a passion for, then buy the motor boat. I've put 6,460 hours on my current refit engine in my sailboat, but I love sailing and some of my most enjoyable sailing is without a destination. I think sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail!
I think that sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail and those that really want to go some where far away but don't have the money for fuel or the powerboat capable of going offshore.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:54   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I think that sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail and those that really want to go some where far away but don't have the money for fuel or the powerboat capable of going offshore.
I don't see the choice as a question of money. Are those on snowboards unable to afford snowmobiles? Are the cyclist just those that can't afford automobiles? I will admit that there is a faction that use boats for low income housing and those are often sailboats, but these are not the same group as those that are cruising and sailing. Though, I do understand your point. I'm sure there are some that, with more money, would choose to have the power boat. My thoughts are highly influenced by my own thrill with sailing even though, admittedly, I will not hestitate to motor to make a day's destination.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I know I wouldn't be able to buy a boat and then continuously buy fuel month after month. Especially if I had to quit a job to be able to go cruising. If sails were the only option, you might have some issues getting to certain places on time or on any kind of schedule. Not that it would be a big deal, but it might be nice to avoid some weather.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 13:27   #44

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and there are a few of us who like to fly to remote destinations in order to spend fewer hours, if not days, getting there; maximizing local watersports fun. It takes all kind...

Mauritz
Sailing is for short distances. Flying is for long distances.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I don't see the choice as a question of money. Are those on snowboards unable to afford snowmobiles? Are the cyclist just those that can't afford automobiles? I will admit that there is a faction that use boats for low income housing and those are often sailboats, but these are not the same group as those that are cruising and sailing. Though, I do understand your point. I'm sure there are some that, with more money, would choose to have the power boat. My thoughts are highly influenced by my own thrill with sailing even though, admittedly, I will not hestitate to motor to make a day's destination.
But it is a question of money for some people.

I know someone on this forum that went around the world on a boat that cost $10k outfitted and another $10k food, fuel, etc.
$20k would barely pay for the fuel bills to cross the Pacific.

I intend to go to New Zealand and expect to do it for $80k: sailboat, outfitting and 16-18 months living expenses for 4. $80k wouldn't even buy me the power boat to do that.

Tags
motor, paracelle, sail, sailboat, yacht