Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 08:06   #61

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Sailboat or Motor acht?

" Maybe what we are really looking at are great differences in wealth."

Could be. On the other hand, missing a corroded terminal and loosing a mast gets expensive also. A dock mate on Isla Mujeres was getting ready to head S. and asked an experienced sailor/engineer to check his rig. after his friend went around the boat with a magnifying glass he wound up replacing all his standing rigging. It was small enough (30ft. boat) that the $ numbers weren't huge but it did put a bit of a dent in his cruising kitty.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:00   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailboat or Motor acht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
" Maybe what we are really looking at are great differences in wealth."

Could be. On the other hand, missing a corroded terminal and loosing a mast gets expensive also............
Well, I certainly agree with you that overlooking maintenance is costly. Are you suggesting that buying new, large and expensive would save money in the long term because you would not need to be concerned about things like corroded fittings? ..... Are you suggesting that power vessels are less likely to have costly problems when overlooking maintenance? I don't think I understand the, "On the other hand..." comparison.

When comparing sail and power vessels with a concern for costs. The choice between sail and power is dwarfed compared to the choice between smaller and bigger or the choice between new and used.

My choice was a sailboat due to my passion for sailing. My chioce was smaller and older for my economy. I'm all for those with a greater opportunity to buy larger boats with huge sail and rigging costs or huge engine costs, but when it comes to choosing the power boat or the sailboat, I don't think money needs to be the deciding factor. More importantly, the choice should be made by your interest and capability.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:36   #63

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Sailboat or Motor Yacht?

There are plenty of examples of people cruising under motor for less or about the same as many cruise under sail power. In the mid-range and up there is probably very little difference and it might even favor the motor in the higher end as Dashew has documented.

The one thing that does seem clear is that it is much harder to cruise at the low end under motor. The boats are more expensive that have the fuel capacity to do long range traveling and are usually bigger to accommodate this. You can cruise cheaply on a small boat under sail though and that is probably why the impression is that long distance cruising is cheaper under sail. The way the average cruiser cruises is probably not cheap so there may be much less difference in cost related to the way your boat is moved through the water and more about other lifestyle choices you make along the way.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:51   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
There are plenty of examples of people cruising under motor for less or about the same as many cruise under sail power. In the mid-range and up there is probably very little difference and it might even favor the motor in the higher end as Dashew has documented.

The one thing that does seem clear is that it is much harder to cruise at the low end under motor. The boats are more expensive that have the fuel capacity to do long range traveling and are usually bigger to accommodate this. You can cruise cheaply on a small boat under sail though and that is probably why the impression is that long distance cruising is cheaper under sail. The way the average cruiser cruises is probably not cheap so there may be much less difference in cost related to the way your boat is moved through the water and more about other lifestyle choices you make along the way.

Jim
At the low end, I think it is more an issue of people repurposing exisitng boats as opposed to the feasibility of a purpose built power cruiser being less cost effective.

Under 30' power boats tend to be dominated by planing hulls with big fuel thirsty engines (there are some exceptions but they are much rarer).

Sail boats in that size range tend to be dominated by fuel sipping under 25hp engines which force you to go slow and conserve fuel.

Both are typically designed and built for weekending but if you have no money and are looking at old smaller boats, the logical choice is an old sail boat.

That doesn't mean you couldn't design and build a more cost effective power boat in that size range but if no one is buying them new, you won't find any used.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 11:09   #65

I agree that the difference between small and large is THE big factor. I do hope that some one could do a reasonably scientific study on the costs for something in the 35 to 40 foot range. It could be that comparing boats that have particular accommodations might be useful as a trawler type of X length may have the same accommodations as a sail boat of Y length. Perhaps comparing displacement would make more sense for mono hulls?
Old 20-12-2013, 11:15   #66

" I don't think I understand the, "On the other hand..." comparison."

I apologize for the poor example. I was just pointing out that sail power is not free. Sort of "you pays me now or pays me later" sort of thing.
Old 20-12-2013, 15:18   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
......................... I was just pointing out that sail power is not free. Sort of "you pays me now or pays me later" sort of thing.
There's something we can all agree on! No boating seems to be free except for maybe Huckleberry Finn's raft!
Old 19-01-2014, 12:50   #68

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
There's something we can all agree on! No boating seems to be free except for maybe Huckleberry Finn's raft!

An extremely true statement.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, paracelle, sail, sailboat, yacht