Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2007, 21:09   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles Design 21'
Reinell 26' - My First Sailboat

Hello All....

Just joined this forum and I've taken up sailing recently and have finally purchased my first sailboat...It's a Reinell C2600 or 2600C. Anyway, my question is, how good are these boats? I can't seem to find any info about the manufacturer and I am also trying to track down a manual for this boat. All I know is that it's LWL is 25.6' / LOA is 23.5 / Beam is 8ft / Displacement is 3800lbs / Ballast at 1350lbs. It also has a 1995 Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust Outboard. I would like to know if this sailboat is good enough to travel around Vancouver Island this summer. I am sailing from Vancouver. Thanks guys.
systech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 22:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by systech
I can't seem to find any info about the manufacturer and I am also trying to track down a manual for this boat. All I know is that it's LWL is 25.6' / LOA is 23.5 / Beam is 8ft / Displacement is 3800lbs / Ballast at 1350lbs. It also has a 1995 Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust Outboard. I would like to know if this sailboat is good enough to travel around Vancouver Island this summer. I am sailing from Vancouver.
It appears you have a bit of an orphan. Google is your friend in this case.

I found a little history for you:

American Mariner Industries

There also seems to be a lot of people out there looking for manuals. I don't understand this need to be honest. What would the purpose of the manual be?

There is at least one person trying to drum up interest for an owners group.

Home

On our boat I was able to search the internet and got manuals and parts books (free) for all the systems including:

Vovlo-Penta manual
Saildrive manual
Selden mast, boom and rodkicker manual
Furler manual

In addition I found a parts supplier for a few of the decor items for the boat as well.

You have to become a bit of an internet sleuth with older boats.

I'll say again that one of the major decision elements in the next buy will be a sizeable, active owners group. It is great when you have a lot of people that have been there ahead of you.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 23:16   #3

Thanks for the reply....The only reason for me looking for the manual is to see what the wirings are and to see what the full specs for the boat is....The boat use to be in salt water then the 2nd owner had the bottom repainted and has been sailing it in fresh water. Basically, I just wanted to know how these boats would handle sailing offshore..
Old 16-07-2007, 23:28   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Hello.

I think you got your waterline length (LWL) confused with your Overall length (LOA).

For what it is worth, it is probably not the boat that will determine whether or not a trip around Vancouver Island is safe, but the competence/skill of the crew.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 23:33   #5

ooops.....i think you're right weyalan.......sorry about that....LOA is 25.6 and the LWL is 23.5...thanks for pointing that out....as for the crew...it's just going to be me.....
Old 25-07-2007, 22:22   #6

Here is some information for you:

Reinell Pages
(there is a Sales Brochure at the bottom of the page)

As far as the sailing goes ... Start slowly. Don't go out in water that you don't feel confident in. As you gain experience, you'll find that the boat can take care of you, if you take care of it. That means making sure that there are no leaks, cracks, rust or corrosion anywhere. If you are conscientious about that, you will probably enjoy some problem-free sailing.

As far as the rewiring, systems, etc. go, you'll do fine if you pick up some general knowledge books like '12V Wiring' or spend a lot of time on various internet sites. People will usually be able to help you with suggestions or recommendations for specific issues. Good Luck !
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 08:24   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
You can have a lot of fun with sailing around here without going "outside".
It can get knarly as heck out there sometimes. Do a search for Van Isle 360 and you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand, Barkley Sound is nice in July, but foggy in August. Locals call it Fogust.

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 15:55   #8

Boat: Irwin sloop
Hello I'm remembering two very different 26ft Rienell sloops. One, very traditional with rather large portlites, the other was somewhat like a San Juan 21 with a roomy interior. I owned one of the former models and was well pleased with it. I sailed it around Vancouver Island in July of 99 and enjoyed it to the max. I was extremely lucky with the weather and know it. Cape Scott and Brooks peninsula are beautifull and dangerous places that will gain your respect. Jesse
Jesse Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 16:22   #9

Boat: Irwin sloop
Hello again I just reread my answer to your post and realized it might seem as though I was encouraging you to proceed around the island this summer, I'm not. Learn and practice this summer and fall and talk to other sailors who have experience in this area. Then have fun planning the trip through the winter and leave around July first. Hope you have as much fun as I did. Jesse
Jesse Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 19:55   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Systech,
Jesse seems to have fond memories of his Reinell. I didn't know they made two models. The one our club was given is the large portlight version with a shoal keel, lightly rigged and with fittings that are more suitable for freshwater lakes. It has a very large cockpit.
All who sailed our club boat were not pleased with its performance especially tacking and pointing to windward.
I am not trying to discourage your love affair with your boat but to be honest I would not take it offshore and definitely not around Vancouver Island where it is possible to run into some heavy weather.
We are currently in the middle of converting our Reinell into a power/service boat for use in the Bay.
Check your winch mounting for your jib winches. We pull hard on one and it came off the boat because it was screwed to its mounting with steel wood screws. I don't know if that was factory but it was a bit scary.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 00:03   #11

Thanks to all those people who gave me advice on my boat and sailing suggestions....I have the boat right now on Cowichan Lake which is 34kms long and I had my first experience on 4 feet waves on the lake and found the first hour nerve wracking then finally got used to the waves....Took me 4 hours to sail from one end of the lake to the other....The boat was rocking side to side and water was splashing all over the place but it was generally stable...My friends who were in the cabin didn't even know I was having a rough time...It was a good experience...

I'll take everyones input about sailing through vancouver island and would let you know what happens..

Thanks again guys..
Old 09-09-2007, 09:52   #12

Hi Systech. I also have a 1975 Reinell 26' sailboat, and I have the owners book with complete wiring diagram. If you like I can fax it to you. Does your boat have an inboard? Mine has a baldwin marine 2 stroke 2 cyl inboard. I am almost done with it's refit, but it currently sails. I live in San Diego and have a great time on the bay here. I want to take my boat to Catalina island this fall it's about 100 miles or so. Did you do your Vancouver trip? I hope all is well skipper, and let me know if you still need the owners book info..
sixstringwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54   #13

Hi Sixstringwilery.....
Thanks for the offer....My Reinell has a 9.9 Yamaha outboard..I wish I had an inboard....Sadly however, I sold my Reinell because I had it on the lake and to had it towed and moved to the ocean was going to cost me a lot of $$$....So I bought a 21' sailboat which was made of fiberglass over wood and sailed all over Vancouver Island and had a lot of fun. What a difference it was between a shoal keel and a fin keel. My new boat was so stable and had a lot fun....
Old 04-01-2012, 14:26   #14

Boat: 1978 Endeavour 32
Re: Reinell 26' - My first sailboat

Any Reinell 26 owners still out there ?
leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:49   #15

Boat: Reinell 26
Re: Reinell 26' - My first sailboat

Hi Leadbelly

I am a Reinell 2600 owner

MsSheralee is offline   Reply With Quote