Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 22:51   #556
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Tow out non-compliant boats after sucking out pollutants to a nearby San Francisco coast location to make an artificial reef for undersea creatures. In three or four years, the solution is solved.
I for one don't consider making someone homeless a solution. In reality, getting rid of the boats, moves all the folks to shore, where they have no where else to go. That will cost the taxpayers Lot's more more..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 22:57   #557

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A few score homeless more or less will have minimal impact on the largess of California taxpayers.
Old 19-02-2017, 06:34   #558

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
A few score homeless more or less will have minimal impact on the largess of California taxpayers.
WOW!!! That is one callous sentiment...
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 21:18   #559
cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
WOW!!! That is one callous sentiment...
Here, let me rephrase it another way..... "A few score [bums] more or less will have minimal impact on the largess of California taxpayers."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	141617  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 23:27   #560
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guys.
If you choose to use language in your posts, with or without **.... we remove them.

If you want you post back, drop us a line and we will let you edit it and remove the offending sections. We get tired of requesting that you comply with the rules and will no longer edit...

You know better.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 06:51   #561

Boat: Formosa 41

What are we talking here, exterminating these people or transferring them from that water to the street? Are those camps we put the Japanese in still available? / sarcasm.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:38   #562
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
What are we talking here, exterminating these people or transferring them from that water to the street? Are those camps we put the Japanese in still available? / sarcasm.
Jason,

Maybe "these people" would be better served living on your front porch.

No sarcasm intended.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:38   #563
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I do understand sarcasm; however, the topic is displacement from a current opportunity for low income housing and certainly not related to incarceration or a death sentence.

I'm not in favor of the use of boats as a means of low income housing, but I would not support any policy that would cause people to lose what foothold they may have for independent subsistence.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:53   #564
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Good lord, this sounds so much like a "let them eat cake" thing for my taste.

The funny thing is we go from this, to being these people in Richardson's Bay, whether you believe it or not.

Do you not see the similarity of anchoring restrictions in Fl, to "us" wanting "those" people out of the Bay?

Most of us are one stroke, automobile accident or other catastrphie away from being them. If you deceive yourself into believing your better than them, I believe one day you will have a rude awakening
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:59   #565
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Good lord, this sounds so much like a "let them eat cake" thing for my taste.

The funny thing is we go from this, to being these people in Richardson's Bay, whether you believe it or not.

Do you not see the similarity of anchoring restrictions in Fl, to "us" wanting "those" people out of the Bay?

Most of us are one stroke, automobile accident or other catastrphie away from being them. If you deceive yourself into believing your better than them, I believe one day you will have a rude awakening
Speaking for myself, I've made plans so that what you suggest can never happen to us. In fact, having worked in the health care field here in America for many years, I've never ever seen anyone go from being financially successful or otherwise, to living in squaller such as the Richardson Bay bums due to a health care crisis or auto accident like you suggest. There have always been government safety nets in place to take care of those people. To believe otherwise is pure fantasy, rainbows and unicorns.

The only ones I've met who do drift towards homelessness and bumhood, are the alcoholics, mentally ill (off their meds), criminals and drug addicts who seem to get themselves kicked out of the shelters due to fighting, stealing and not living within the house rules of the shelters. Yes, I know of quite a few personally who've been kicked out of shelters, and believe me... you wouldn't want them anywhere near your house or neighborhood.

a64pilot,

If you're genuine in your concern for the Richardson Bay bums, why not offer a couple of them a place on your yacht for the next passage? Or raft up and join their party. Talk is cheap, put some action behind your words.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	141660  
Old 20-02-2017, 20:03   #566

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Ya know, I lived in California many years ago.. Went to college as a cellist in CA, and played many concerts in the bay area and worked during the off times doing water treatment in places like SF, Oakland, Freemont, Union City, Livermore, Pleasanton and other cities around there. Never quite fit into the vibe there. The day I graduated, I was packed and ready to leave and I've never visited since. Reading this thread and Ken's posts showing off his humanity brings me back as to why.. Thank God I live in the Caribbean.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 20:23   #567

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
... Reading this thread and Ken's posts showing off his humanity brings me back as to why.. Thank God I live in the Caribbean.
Most people are kind, empathetic and generous. I keep my subscription to this thread to remind myself that ******** exist, too.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 20:31   #568
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Most people are kind, empathetic and generous. I keep my subscription to this thread to remind myself that ******** exist, too.
Empathy is over-rated. "Actions speak louder than words."
Old 20-02-2017, 20:42   #569

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Ya know, I lived in California many years ago.. Went to college as a cellist in CA, and played many concerts in the bay area and worked during the off times doing water treatment in places like SF, Oakland, Freemont, Union City, Livermore, Pleasanton and other cities around there. Never quite fit into the vibe there. The day I graduated, I was packed and ready to leave and I've never visited since. Reading this thread and Ken's posts showing off his humanity brings me back as to why.. Thank God I live in the Caribbean.
You should become financially productive, earn a high income (work hard/smart), and pay lots of taxes in support of those less fortunate than you. California provides you the opportunity to pay lots of taxes if you're willing to work for it.
Old 20-02-2017, 21:01   #570
cruiser

Quote:
So rather than do something to help fix the a problem like Richardson Bay, you chose instead to turn your back to it and take your fiddle elsewhere.

Wow... I'm so impressed.

Tags
head, liveaboard