Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 21:01   #571
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Ok

This is not about nurses, cellists, welders, paying taxes, being productive members of society, jobs, pay, people etc.... although all things kinda blend together. We the CF prefer to close the thread than to wade through political rhetoric and answers and solutions and prefered methods of extermination of people.

We were doing so well... After living in India for 6 years in the early 80s, I realised that things dont change because ultimately it would mean doing something. Money was being made with the status quo and cost them nothing.

Can we settle down into a peaceful hiatus? Our opinions are our own best kept quiet if it involves a criticism of another..... CF is about boating.... You would think with the singular subject we could support each other... one final chance for the thread.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:13   #572

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Jason,

Maybe "these people" would be better served living on your front porch.

No sarcasm intended.
They're next to me in the anchorage, although in Key West not Richardson Bay.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:33   #573

Quote:
Jason,

Maybe "these people" would be better served living on your front porch.

No sarcasm intended.

I'd like to expand on where I'm coming from based on Ken's comment.

A few years ago my son came home from high school and told us that his friend Jake and his mother were kicked out of their apartment and were homeless and asked if they could move in with us. We thought about it and said, "Sure." Jake slept in one of the bunks in a bunk bed upstairs and his mother used the fold out couch in the living room. After about two months they got an apartment and are now on their own.

To me these people are not other people. I see myself in them. To explain: Our boat is in great shape. The topside is painted the sails are in great shape we have a hand made wooden sailing/rowing dinghy on davits and I did all the canvas over on the boat last summer. She looks great. Our claim to fame is that just south of Canaveral, heading south, a tugboat towing a barge eased over toward us. He was getting closer than I was comfortable with so I called him on channel 13. He was coming over to admire our boat. We were about one tenth of a nm apart and we talked about the make model and year. He said he was planning to have a boat like ours
someday.

The fact is that these things don't last. The canvas will get worn, the sails will get baggy and the top sides will get scuffed. My hair will get thinner, stairs that I used to run up two at a time will become harder to climb and I will search out the wheelchair ramp and an easier path.

I see these people in the anchorage and I see what could be my future. My friends laugh when I tell them, "That's me someday." They laugh because they know I make mid five figures per month in rent on commercial property. It comes in when I'm not there! This might sound familiar to you, Ken, but I know it can all end. I can lose everything. Financial collapse, war, disease, pestilence, a number of things can change fortune.

Last night Mrs. Flare were on the dinghy dock in KW helping a guy work on his dinghy motor until 0100. We're old. We are part of these people. They're already anchored next to me and when they were on my porch I invited them in.

Back in the 70's the was a James Michener book about kids traveling through Europe. I didn't read the whole thing, but all the characters met up in a fictitious town named Torremolinos, IIRC. Michener's character was of the old guy whom the young kids like to talk to and opened up to. Michener wrote their story.

I did the Europe thing. I left when I was 20 and came back just before I turned 22. I worked my way around and backpacked. I met kids from all over the world like the characters in the Michener novel, (That I didn't completely read!) I see these young kids living on a boat and working in KW and I see myself 40 years ago and I am excited for them. I hope that they are aware that they are living a rich life. I know I felt I have lived a rich life.

As I and my sails and canvas get older I may have a reversal of fortune. I may be the old guy with the masts on the deck and the barnacles well up the topsides bobbing at anchor, too old and tired to push on, the sea having become an uphill climb.

I will be thankful to those who give me a wave and a smile. May they live richly as I have.
Old 21-02-2017, 10:48   #574
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post

I will be thankful to those who give me a wave and a smile. May they live richly as I have.
Well said. It's not been all that long ago that I noticed that I was an old man.
Right now I am really stiff and have a bruise on my right arm from fighting my driveshaft this weekend, use to it would have been a 30 min job.
Sat night I called my kid and asked if he could come down Sun morning and help, but I got back at it and finished.
But its not going to be too long before I will need help doing things that used to be easy.

Two, maybe three days ago my wife's brother's wife whatever that makes her to me I don't know, but she got hit head on going to work. She is the primary breadwinner, and has a disabled child. He floats from one job to the other.
She is really hurt, had three operations on her legs so far, I will be surprised if she can ever walk / work again. I have no idea about insurance status, but unless her work carried it, I doubt she had long term disability.
If not, then she and her child are on a road that leads to a bad place, they are not bad people, did nothing to deserve it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 13:50   #575
cruiser

Quote:

I'd like to expand on where I'm coming from based on Ken's comment.

A few years ago my son came home from high school and told us that his friend Jake and his mother were kicked out of their apartment and were homeless and asked if they could move in with us. We thought about it and said, "Sure." Jake slept in one of the bunks in a bunk bed upstairs and his mother used the fold out couch in the living room. After about two months they got an apartment and are now on their own.

To me these people are not other people. I see myself in them. To explain: Our boat is in great shape. The topside is painted the sails are in great shape we have a hand made wooden sailing/rowing dinghy on davits and I did all the canvas over on the boat last summer. She looks great. Our claim to fame is that just south of Canaveral, heading south, a tugboat towing a barge eased over toward us. He was getting closer than I was comfortable with so I called him on channel 13. He was coming over to admire our boat. We were about one tenth of a nm apart and we talked about the make model and year. He said he was planning to have a boat like ours
someday.

The fact is that these things don't last. The canvas will get worn, the sails will get baggy and the top sides will get scuffed. My hair will get thinner, stairs that I used to run up two at a time will become harder to climb and I will search out the wheelchair ramp and an easier path.

I see these people in the anchorage and I see what could be my future. My friends laugh when I tell them, "That's me someday." They laugh because they know I make mid five figures per month in rent on commercial property. It comes in when I'm not there! This might sound familiar to you, Ken, but I know it can all end. I can lose everything. Financial collapse, war, disease, pestilence, a number of things can change fortune.

Last night Mrs. Flare were on the dinghy dock in KW helping a guy work on his dinghy motor until 0100. We're old. We are part of these people. They're already anchored next to me and when they were on my porch I invited them in.

Back in the 70's the was a James Michener book about kids traveling through Europe. I didn't read the whole thing, but all the characters met up in a fictitious town named Torremolinos, IIRC. Michener's character was of the old guy whom the young kids like to talk to and opened up to. Michener wrote their story.

I did the Europe thing. I left when I was 20 and came back just before I turned 22. I worked my way around and backpacked. I met kids from all over the world like the characters in the Michener novel, (That I didn't completely read!) I see these young kids living on a boat and working in KW and I see myself 40 years ago and I am excited for them. I hope that they are aware that they are living a rich life. I know I felt I have lived a rich life.

As I and my sails and canvas get older I may have a reversal of fortune. I may be the old guy with the masts on the deck and the barnacles well up the topsides bobbing at anchor, too old and tired to push on, the sea having become an uphill climb.

You make assumptions about me and the things I write which are not accurate. We've also taken in people less fortunate and socialize with most anyone in anchorages. I also happen to have a job in the healthcare field which puts me in extremely close contact with the less fortunate on a daily basis.

I'm not talking about those sorts, I'm referring to the drunks, drug addicts, bums, criminals etc..... the type of person that no one in their right mind would allow into their home. Like the ones who inhabit most of the derelict boats in Richardson Bay.... which is what this thread is about. I seriously doubt there's even one single mom with a kid living amongst the Richardson Bay bums.

I've even given known drug addicts day work when I was in the construction business, hoping it would help them out (earning a days pay), only to be be rewarded by having them come back later the same day and steal all the tools and compressor.

Not everyone who's less fortunate is honest, some are just addicts and bums.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 14:31   #576

Quote:
You make assumptions about me and the things I write which are not accurate.
Such as...?
Old 21-02-2017, 15:07   #577
cruiser

Quote:
What are we talking here, exterminating these people or transferring them from that water to the street? Are those camps we put the Japanese in still available? / sarcasm.
Quote:
Such as...?
When you write something like the one above... your "extermination" post.

I quoted the wrong post.
Old 21-02-2017, 15:15   #578
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I know a number of the folks in Richardson Bay, A few I call friend, and some I at least said hi in passing, most of the folks there are not drug addicts, or no more so then on land. Some are just plain anti-social (I fall into that category, which makes liveaboarding and anchoring out near perfect for me)

Yes there are some with drug addition and there are some pretty nasty guys out there too as there is in in any neighborhood. But there are many nice guys and a number of women out there. The majority in my eye anyway, are just average folks trying to get along as best they can. That they anchor adjacent to some of the most expensive homes in the Bay area is the main issue.

I'm wondering what makes one a bum or just a retired person living on a fixed social security or a military pension. Wrong was one of the later btw.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 15:59   #579
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In three and a half months, I become a Bum
Looking forward to it myself.
Old 21-02-2017, 16:08   #580
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I have been a bum for 25 years ever since I was disabled out of navy.
Old 21-02-2017, 16:22   #581

Quote:
When you write something like the one above... your "extermination" post.

I quoted the wrong post.
I didn't quote a post when I wrote my extermination post.

Continue.

ETA: See post 561, the "extermination" post.
Old 21-02-2017, 18:34   #582
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In three and a half months, I become a Bum
Looking forward to it myself.
Enjoy your next raft up party.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	141720  
Old 21-02-2017, 18:56   #583

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It drives me almost insane that California complains about the shortage of affordable housing but welcomes unrestricted immigration and regulations increasing the cost of housing. Correction: the government, and most of its citizens, are insane, not I!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27   #584

Boat: 1998 Nauticat 515
Send a message via Skype™ to lelievre12
Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

A skiff overturned off Schoonmakers with 3 aboard in the SW gale last week. 3 helicopters spent 4 hours looking for one of the folks whom didn't make it ashore from the frigid water. Big $$$ in search costs to the dear taxpayers.

Yesterday a body floated up at Sausalito Yacht Harbor and the police spent all day pulling out the body.

During the storms 12 boats either sank or dragged ashore. Many had people or animals aboard at the time.

This really shouldn't be a discussion about whether it's Ok for homeless folks to live on boats. To me it's more a discussion on how the Richardson Bay Regional Authority could permit transient use of its anchorage during deadly gales. The RBRA has a duty of care to ensure safety for all boaters in the bay. The simple fact is that boats have no place in Richardson Bay during deadly winter gales. It's just too dangerous. Why the RBRA would relax its own 72 hour transient rule when people are dying out there is more than negligent.
lelievre12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:02   #585
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Enjoy your next raft up party.
Ken, I have to wonder, do you do this kind of thing, cause it makes you feel superior?
What is the point?

some definitions of Bum. Are not many of us Bums?

a person who devotes a great deal of time to a specified activity.
"a ski bum"
synonyms: enthusiast, fan, aficionado, lover, freak, nut, buff, fanatic, addict
"a ski bum"
verb
travel, with no particular purpose or destination.
"he bummed around Florida for a few months"
synonyms: loaf, lounge, idle, wander, drift, meander, dawdle; More

Tags
head, liveaboard