Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 17:58   #1

possibly living aboard

Hi,
I am very new to this. I have been looking at boats and thinking I want to liveaboard. I do have boating experience but never lived aboard. So let me give you the run down with questions I have.
1) I am looking at 32-36 ft carvers, Silverton, etc around 1980's. I am probably getting the loan from navy federal for this (I don't believe they care whether I'm living aboard when getting the loan am it right?)
2) I am looking to live on it in st petersburg fl. So I have been very concerned with insurance. Can I get USAA (they use progressive) and just not state I'm living aboard? I'm wondering what the differences are when you state you liveaboard? I really need more info on this part.
3) I have found that marinas are running around $500 a month here. Pasadena marina, blindpass, st pete muni, harborage let me know if you know some more. Also what do marinas usually make you carry for insurance?
4) let me know what else will be helpful while I'm looking
rose93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 18:38   #2

Re: possibly living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose93 View Post
what do marinas usually make you carry for insurance?
Most marinas will make you carry $300,000 in liability insurance. This should also include a higher coverage for oil spill liability.

Quote:
So I have been very concerned with insurance. Can I get USAA (they use progressive) and just not state I'm living aboard? I'm wondering what the differences are when you state you liveaboard?
Insurance will very a lot depending on if you want liability only, or "full coverage". If you have a loan, you will of course be required to get the expensive plan. Progressive has good Marine insurance, so that should work fine. For sure ask them about the liveaboard. If there is a clause in your insurance that prohibits it, and you violate that clause, they will not have to pay for any claims you make. There are tons of liveaboard with insurance, so it is easy to find. You will have to pay somewhere in the $2,000 - $3,000 range per year for insurance most likely.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:30   #3

Thanks for the reply raindog,
So what's the main difference with liveaboard insurance as opposed to regular boat insurance? I wouldn't see how they could tell I'm living aboard. I will have to carry full coverage anyway so I guess it's not a huge deal. Also, will I have a problem getting insurance on a boat of that age or is that not really a problem?
rose93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:39   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Living on a boat is not cheaper. Long term expenses are high..
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:59   #5

Quote:
So what's the main difference with liveaboard insurance as opposed to regular boat insurance? I wouldn't see how they could tell I'm living aboard. I will have to carry full coverage anyway so I guess it's not a huge deal. Also, will I have a problem getting insurance on a boat of that age or is that not really a problem?
No difference, but some companies may refuse to cover liveaboards. Some companies also will refuse to cover a boat of that age. Others will allow both. Just ask around and you will jane no problem finding a policy.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rose.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:16   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Rose, I would suspect you should be upfront with insurance carriers... in case there's a claim somewhere down the pike.

FWIW, we use an insurance broker (IMIS, Al Golden is a member here), and don't live aboard anyway, so don't know how USAA (which we qualify for) and so forth deal with the liveaboard issue.

Check ActiveCaptain.com for marina info and reviews.

Another FWIW, there's a Silverton owners club on line, modest fee, but it's quite common for shoppers to join in advance of buying so they can ask questions/get info about specific models and so forth.

-Chris
Old 04-05-2015, 04:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Age of boat will be an issue with Progressive going through USAA, it was either age or value that made me have to go through a broker to get Progressive, I couldn't go through USAA, they are geared more for ski and fishing boats than larger boats.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 20:16   #9

Boat: Newport

I know for certain that Progressive states they will not cover Live-a-aboards, so don't risk it, go with another insurance company that is less resolute.

I would try Boat U.S. - and of course, if you can show that you have another primary residence aside from the boat, then this will never be an issue.
But, I've been living on my boat for 7 years, saving loads of money, enjoying the nautical life and I have kept my boat insured no problem. First with Boat Insurance Agency in Seattle, WA - then with Boat U.S.

I update an annual review of the most popular boat insurance providers.

Compare boat insurance 2015 - All things boat

I discuss some policy differences and highlight scenarios that would be advantageous for one provider over another...

It should help give you the lay of the land...fair winds!
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard