Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 11:47   #1

My wife is diabolical

So we’re currently at the boat yard getting some work done and staying in their dock, but they don’t have showers. There is a yacht club next-door that has them and will not let us use them. We offered to pay, and their only response was “the only way you can use the showers is to book a mooring”. So my wife is currently on Dockwa booking a mooring for our dinghy
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:23   #2

Re: My wife is diabolical

Love it. You should call the YC's launch to come grab you... from the dinghy.
Old 25-09-2023, 13:57   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
We offered to pay, and their only response was “the only way you can use the showers is to book a mooring”.
I'd go above that person's head, in a friendly way. Talk to the commodore or maybe just a couple of members. I bet they've been somewhere cruising and needed a shower before. What yacht club is that? Typical yacht clubs I have crossed paths with have been very friendly.
Old 25-09-2023, 14:15   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
So we’re currently at the boat yard getting some work done and staying in their dock, but they don’t have showers. There is a yacht club next-door that has them and will not let us use them. We offered to pay, and their only response was “the only way you can use the showers is to book a mooring”. So my wife is currently on Dockwa booking a mooring for our dinghy
Well, we'll see how that goes!

Why not shower aboard? run a drain hose to the nearest drain in the yard? And next time, seek out a yard that will give access to shower facilities.

Actually, you could also run the hose from the scuppers to the drain, which I have also seen done, and discreetly use a sun shower to shower in the cockpit. We did that for years. One rigs a privacy screen from a bed sheet or similar, and ducks below to re-dress. You can drain into a bucket, if there is no drain, and then dump the contents at the toilet.

Ann
Old 25-09-2023, 14:24   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Why not shower aboard? run a drain hose to the nearest drain in the yard? And next time, seek out a yard that will give access to shower facilities.
Ha! I've just used a hose and showered off right below the boat in my bathing trunks, or do it in the cockpit. It is rare to find a boatyard without a shower in the USA, though they are not always ones you would want to use.
Old 25-09-2023, 14:34   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

I like your wife's attitude.

I was in a similar situation this spring but luckily our club has a reciprocal docking agreement with the club that was next to the boat yard where we were working. So I walked over and told them we didn't need a dock but would sure like reciprocal access to showers.

Kudos to them - they were happy to help.

Tags
cal