Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 12:13   #16

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Month 6 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Wine and liquor prices are not bad at Bristol in Marsh Harbor. Wine selection is somewhat limited. Beer, fuggetaboutit. There is a pretty well stocked grocery in Georgetown, but it's probably the largest population (and highest concentration of cruisers) outside of Nassau and Marsh Harbor. Other than that, the rest of the out islands have limited fresh produce and availability subject to when the latest mailboat arrived. But that's part of the fun of cruising. The good news is that there is always Bar S baloney.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:24   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We were in Bahamas last year. Best place to provision was Nassau, then Georgetown. Some other cays have limited fresh groceries. Beer was around $60 per case, whether Budweiser, or the local Sands. Ricardo local rum was good at $9 per bottle. We brought a variety of Black Box wines and wife's favorite beers with us. A good cold Sands beer was drinkable, sorta tastes like Miller high life, to me.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:04   #18

Boat: Catalina 380

Thanks for your posts and real numbers! We're 8 months behind you. It's nice to have actual costs.
Summitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:23   #19

Boat: Caliber 47

My argument FOR a watermaker is you get incredibly high quality water for drinking. I fill 3-4 gallon jugs each time I make water and have all the high quality H2O I want for coffee, drinking water soda maker etc

Other benefit is total
Freedom
From having to worry about water if we decide ( and we did) to go to far out remote locations. We carry 275 gallons and still feel the investment worthwhile....a lukury? Maybe?

GG
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:54   #20

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

WOW, surprised/concerned about ~$1000 for food, liquor, and another ~$600 on eating out. $1,600 is about $500 more than we spend a month in NJ for that and we eat out sushi 1 time each week for a family of 4... and we drink a lot! So, is food and alcohol really ~50% more than in the US?? Are you a couple of 2 or more on board?
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:16   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Replies and answers
- I'm still having compared to working
- I have 150 gal of water. If you feel a small is a need get one matters none to me
- even the out islands that have people have some type of store. You get what they have and if you stay a while lean what day the supply ship comes
- will look into navy credit union when I get back. I'm a vet so maybe for once a vet deal will be a good one
-We are a couple and yes food costs more in the Bahamas. But we have spent pretty much the same coming down the east coast of us, we just eat different in different places based on costs
Old 17-03-2017, 14:19   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Btw I feel most people don't know how much ch they really spend on food etc and I bet it a lot more that what they would guess! And yes some really know so same the "don is wrong replies" as it doesn't matter
Old 17-03-2017, 15:01   #23

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Let's see, bank fees 42, case of beer 41. Sounds like a hell of a discount on the price of beer.

Lots of credit cards with cash back and no foreign transaction fees. Might be 1 reason USAA switched from Visa to MC, or was it the other way around.

Schwab works great. I think I have 3000 in stock there, with no trades in 10 years.

I did go paperless. I'm getting a free ride so saving them postage seems fair. ☺

I have not used my watermaker for 7 years. Means I have have to run the 12kw generator to make watrr (220 voltsl). Only run it hich I once a month to make sure it works. Did put on 720 watts of solar and that covers all electrical needs.

Figured it cost .25-.30 a gallon, plus plus my time. Have never had trouble getting water, which, before coming to the eastern caribbean, was almost always free.

Would enjoy (basically) unlimited water from solar, but only a dream until I pop for a Spectra.

I do get 5 gallon jugs to use for drinking water. Am going to set up a catchment system for rain. For showers and dishes a little deck dirt won't hurt. Don't seem to be any capping birds here so that helps.

Thanks for posting the info.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:05   #24

Thanks for all the details. Your posts have been a great help for financial planning.

--T
tfp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:19   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
WOW, surprised/concerned about ~$1000 for food, liquor, and another ~$600 on eating out. $1,600 is about $500 more than we spend a month in NJ
Lol don't be concerned. That's why budgets are good

Eating out / alcohol are a couple of easy things to adjust if there's some large unexpected budget difficulty. Its easy to go hide behind an island for a month or 2 and save up.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
WOW, surprised/concerned about ~$1000 for food, liquor, and another ~$600 on eating out. $1,600 is about $500 more than we spend a month in NJ for that and we eat out sushi 1 time each week for a family of 4... and we drink a lot! So, is food and alcohol really ~50% more than in the US?? Are you a couple of 2 or more on board?
My guess is that you should budget for food being 50% more expensive in the Bahamas, than in the states. Of course, it all really depends on how you want to eat. All of the groceries - except maybe fresh pork and chicken meat - are shipped in from outside the Bahamas, and arrive on the mail boat. There is no agriculture - per se - in the Exumas. That all means groceries cost more.

Have already commented on beer and alcohol costs. If you drink rum, you can drink cheap. Anything else is very expensive. Again, Budweiser = $60 per case. We brought our own beer, and it wasn't Bud.

The biggest challenge - outside of shopping at Nassau and Georgetown - is finding fresh vegetables that they didn't transport cold. Because if you buy it cold, it has to fit in the fridge. You learn how to wrap and store unrefrigerated fruits and vegetables to make them last (i.e., not spoil).

Just for reference, we spent almost two months in Bahamas last year. I carried $4000 cash on the boat. We crossed back into the US with about $1000 of it. We mostly anchored out, but occasionally took a slip. Marina costs went onto the credit card. Dining costs at Staniel Cay Yacht Club, the restaurant at Nassau, Highborne and Chub marinas all went onto the credit card. We had nice meals at all of those places, and they were not cheap. We sailed a lot, so fuel costs were minimal and paid cash. Other cash costs were laundry, groceries, rum, beers onshore when we wanted a cool one while walking around, eating at smaller islands, coconut bread, etc. We put our $20 in the box for the park moorings (and yes, I know you can anchor for free, but support the parks instead.)

We have a watermaker, so didn't buy any or have to haul any. Even gave away some to other cruisers. And it runs off solar. We carried a Honda 2000 generator, but only ran it for about 4 hours one day. Solar took care of the rest.

Finally, it was my experience that there were very few fish to catch and spear, and lobster season closed on April 1. Unless you are an exceptional individual, you are not going over there to live off the bounty of the sea. I also view going ashore and walking the cay, eating out, etc., as part of the cruising experience. You meet the locals this way. Worry about saving money and eating cheaply when you get home.
Old 17-03-2017, 15:28   #27

Boat: Nonsuch 30

[QUOTE=fallingeggs;2349682]While I am not there, I am sure you aren't going to find decent* red wine in the Bahamas. You won't till the French islands, at least for a comparable/reasonable price. (
*I know, subjective.[/(UOTE]

What I found interesting in the French islands is that there are very few light reds available, almost everything was much heavier and, I thought, better suited for drinking at once chateau in France. Prices were certainly better than the Bahamas but not the bargains I (foolishly) expected.
Old 17-03-2017, 15:49   #28

Boat: Sabre 38

[QUOTE=AiniA;2349816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
While I am not there, I am sure you aren't going to find decent* red wine in the Bahamas. You won't till the French islands, at least for a comparable/reasonable price. (

*I know, subjective.[/(UOTE]

What I found interesting in the French islands is that there are very few light reds available, almost everything was much heavier and, I thought, better suited for drinking at once chateau in France. Prices were certainly better than the Bahamas but not the bargains I (foolishly) expected.

Too bad! Am looking forward to a slightly chilled beaujolais on the beach.

Anyone know what the native, if any, Bahamian food/dish is? Without really being able to produce anything, I'd suspect it isn't much beyond the rice and beans found in Central and South America.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:50   #29

Boat: Caliber 47

We've been down this road before in other posts....food and booze in the Bahamas is in excess of 2X what you pay in the States unless you want to spend valuable exploring time bargain shopping.

In the outlying Islands where u wanna be in any event there is no bargain hunting. Just hope you can find fresh food to eat!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:40   #30

Conch fritters, conch salad, fried snapper, coconut bread, Ricardo rum.

Tags
cruising