Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 13:37   #16

Boat: various over the years
Re: Looking for an efficient and quiet watermaker (100l/hr), any suggestions?

Regarding quiet operation, a SWRO machine that employs a multi-stage
turbine pump will be quieter than a machine using a positive displacement pump (such as CAT or similar.)

The high pitched whine from a turbine pump is also easier to muffle compared
to the low frequency noise (and vibration) produced by a positive displacement pump. The pulse free flow from a turbine pump is also easier on the membranes and other components of a SWRO unit.

However, a turbine pump unit may not be available in the smaller production ranges.

When shopping for a SWRO, ask the dealer to demonstrate a unit on the test bench. You can then judge the level of noise and vibration for yourself.
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:09   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
What space requirements?

Well, I just assumed two spectra units would take more space than one. Since I have little experience with these magical things, I could be mistaken. I do know that the two water makers I have owned would not fit into the same space together.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:26   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
With all due respect, once I stopped laughing I realized that you have No Idea what I was asking ... Maybe I was being too nice in not coming right out and saying it...but since that didn't work, I will try the 2x4 across the forehead approach, so here we go.

As you said, who in their right mind would think it would cost thousands of dollars for a transformer?@#?..But who was even suggesting such a crazy thing?

A 30GPH 240v AC water maker from either Cruise RO or Echotech will cost you right off their websites: $5250 or $5950. (These are actually rated at 33GPH at 68-degs so you will get closer to 35GPH in warm waters, but lets not quibble)

Now how much will two 24v DC water makers cost?
(Forget the fact that this wasn't what the original posted even asked for, but the card have been dwelt, so lets play along)

The Spectra Cape Horn Extreme 330 System 24VDC is rated at 14GPH and lists for $7400, so two of them will cost you $14,800 and give you 26GPH.

Maybe you don't want two water makers, but just want one larger unit that is comparable in product water production?
The 24v Spectra Newport 700 is rated at 29GPH and lists for $16,500

(Hmmm a coincidence that the two prices I gave are right in my $14-$16K range...uhhh...no)

Now with the 2x4 put away, a grand lesson can be seen here, which is:

If you are going to post a snarky post with references to doing ones homework and ignorance, then one should better review not just his post but the post to which he is referring...

just a final cautionary note: Kids, don't try this at home.
Although I make it look easy, I'm a professional smart ass with years of academy training and practice along with a few black eyes to prove it.
You are right -a 4x2 could be appropriate. You are bringing a whole new equation into play. Re-read the statements made and you shall see that you have missed the point. Of course two water makers shall cost extra - I would have thought that most muppets could work that one out. What does not cost such a huge amount is the arrangement to power them two DC units from a mains power source which is what I was referring to. Of course, some people do have a vested interest in charging huge fee's.

Kenomac made a suggestion and some people are so quick to climb in and post negative comments.
It might be better to stop and think about what he was saying before being so critical - and to allow some people to have an opinion that differs from someone that might have an alternative agenda.
I stick to what I said before - the option to run a DC watermaker from a generator will not cost the numbers mentioned. I was not referring to the costs of the water makers Read the posting before attempting to take the high ground or attempting to change the facts to suit your own error.
On the same note of you claiming to be being such a wonderful professional.....really? Nothing like blowing your own trumpet is there. I sent you two emails a while ago requesting some information with a view to making a purchase. I never received a response. Customer service? Hmmmmm...........
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 15:23   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
You are right -a 4x2 could be appropriate. You are bringing a whole new equation into play. Re-read the statements made and you shall see that you have missed the point. Of course two water makers shall cost extra - I would have thought that most muppets could work that one out. What does not cost such a huge amount is the arrangement to power them two DC units from a mains power source which is what I was referring to. Of course, some people do have a vested interest in charging huge fee's.

Kenomac made a suggestion and some people are so quick to climb in and post negative comments.
It might be better to stop and think about what he was saying before being so critical - and to allow some people to have an opinion that differs from someone that might have an alternative agenda.
I stick to what I said before - the option to run a DC watermaker from a generator will not cost the numbers mentioned. I was not referring to the costs of the water makers Read the posting before attempting to take the high ground or attempting to change the facts to suit your own error.
On the same note of you claiming to be being such a wonderful professional.....really? Nothing like blowing your own trumpet is there. I sent you two emails a while ago rcequesting some information with a view to making a purchase. I never received a response. Customer service? Hmmmmm...........

Whoa Cowboy...I didn't jump on Kenomac...heck he's a friend and CLIENT of mine...so lets not throw things out to see what sticks.

You seem to be stuck on powering a DC water maker with a generator, which was never the issue raised by me or any other poster. The issue was always the cost of two systems (and Mark commented on ths space needed for two).

There also comes a time in an internet thread where the readers get to decide for themselves who has credibility and who doesn't. This is such a time, so we won't flog the dead horse.

The one thing that I know is bogus is that you emailed me with a water maker question without getting an answer back. That really smells of sour grapes and is pretty obvious and I think reflects more poorly on you than me. Everyone knows I'm available 7 days a week literally 365 days/yr via email and phone. I was fielding calls/emails and selling water makers while on vacation in Italy for heavens sake. It was a great testament to modern technology that I was sitting on the steps of the Roman Coloseum taking and processing a water maker order over my smart phone...you gotta love modern technology.

So sure there may be a disagreement about what simple words say and mean here on the topic, but then you go a little too over the top in the personal attack rehlm and lose credibility.

Oh and please don't falsely say that I ever claimed to be A Professional. I clearly claimed to be a professional smart ass....man I can see we have a reading comprehension problem going on here. If I was a water maker professional I would have to charge the higher prices for all the over head and BS...na...as a self described Cruising Bozo I have no need or desire for pretnesious titles, I don't even own a pair of shoes, well do you count Crocs as shoes?

Back to the boat yard projects (replacing all 18 of the 1978 sea cocks) until the next phone call or email comes in, then I get my next break from boat work.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Whoa Cowboy...I didn't jump on Kenomac...heck he's a friend and CLIENT of mine...so lets not throw things out to see what sticks.

You seem to be stuck on powering a DC water maker with a generator, which was never the issue raised by me or any other poster. The issue was always the cost of two systems (and Mark commented on ths space needed for two).

There also comes a time in an internet thread where the readers get to decide for themselves who has credibility and who doesn't. This is such a time, so we won't flog the dead horse.

The one thing that I know is bogus is that you emailed me with a water maker question without getting an answer back. That really smells of sour grapes and is pretty obvious and I think reflects more poorly on you than me. Everyone knows I'm available 7 days a week literally 365 days/yr via email and phone. I was fielding calls/emails and selling water makers while on vacation in Italy for heavens sake. It was a great testament to modern technology that I was sitting on the steps of the Roman Coloseum taking and processing a water maker order over my smart phone...you gotta love modern technology.

So sure there may be a disagreement about what simple words say and mean here on the topic, but then you go a little too over the top in the personal attack rehlm and lose credibility.

Oh and please don't falsely say that I ever claimed to be A Professional. I clearly claimed to be a professional smart ass....man I can see we have a reading comprehension problem going on here. If I was a water maker professional I would have to charge the higher prices for all the over head and BS...na...as a self described Cruising Bozo I have no need or desire for pretnesious titles, I don't even own a pair of shoes, well do you count Crocs as shoes?

Back to the boat yard projects (replacing all 18 of the 1978 sea cocks) until the next phone call or email comes in, then I get my next break from boat work.
My goodness - you do stoop low and attempt to corrupt everything said. Certainly Kenomac is a decent bloke and it wasn't him, nor I, that threatened anyone with a 4x2. So, wind your neck in and try and be more civil and stick to the point. Someone (Kenomac) made a valid suggestion about running a DC water maker system and you criticise his comments and have the affrontery to ridicule the suggestion and then you have the audacity to say I am attacking him when I point it it is obviously possible. I guess you are just as likely to have the same attitude with customers.
Oh yeah - I nearly forgot, you have vested interests. I would guess that it is pretty clear that you like to brag about your expertise and no-one else can have an opinion...... and if they do you threaten them and corrupt what has been said. I guess this admiralbly demonstrates your customer service attitude. I am quite sure you shall have satisfied customers but I wonder just how many you have fallen into dispute with due to your rather obvious lack of self control.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Next....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:40   #22

Boat: OEM, proportional

Old 10-08-2015, 17:57   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Buy a CruiseRO from Rich, you won't be disappointed. IMHO there is no better AC powered unit on the market.

If you want a DC unit, then buy a Spectra or Schenker.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 19:22   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

But back to the OPs question. Yes Spectra does have a watermaker that fits the OPs exact needs. It will be the most quiet watermaker made, the most efficient water maker made, will produce 29gph (110 Liters) and will operate at 24/120/AND 240Volts 50/60Hz. Just because it's a Spectra does not mean they are all 12 or 24 Volts systems guys. We are the most efficient watermakers made in all voltages. All you have to do is ask.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 19:27   #25

Boat: Tartan 40

Yeah, anyone who questions Rich's customer service needs to hold up a mirror. Rich answered my call on second ring on Saturday of this past memorial day weekend, so i could ask him what to do with my cool blue system that lost charge due to my stupidity. I didn't even buy the system- it came on my boat. Before we cast our lines in 4 years, I will be installing one of his AC watermakers.
I mean, what owner, let alone customer service department, responds like that?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 19:41   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I mean, what owner, let alone customer service department, responds like that?

Actually,...I do, I've been doing it for years. Drives my wife nuts. You can ask any customer, potential customer, or tire kicker I've ever had what my three rules are. Hey it's 10:45pm EST and look what I'm doing. Try it, (954) 515-7077.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:19   #27

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Actually,...I do, I've been doing it for years. Drives my wife nuts. You can ask any customer, potential customer, or tire kicker I've ever had what my three rules are. Hey it's 10:45pm EST and look what I'm doing. Try it, (954) 515-7077.

Awesome. Have followed your posts for a while too! Adding you to my list---

Mike

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38   #28

Boat: Gozzard 36

Come on boys----as they say in nursery school ..."Now play nice."
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker