Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18   #1

Boat: Fusion 40 Catamaran
Looking for an efficient and quiet watermaker (100l/hr), any suggestions?

We have just upgraded to a Fusion 40 and I am looking at installing a new watermaker. Looking at a 240volt system that can produce approx. 100 litres/hr. I have a 5kva generator on board. Been out of the watermaker scene for some time so don't know who the leaders in the industry are. Any suggestions on a quiet and efficient system? Thanking you all in advance
islandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42   #2
cruiser

Re: Looking for an efficient and quiet watermaker (100l/hr), any suggestions?

Spectra. Each of our spectra 340c units produce around 78 liters per hour (17 gallons) for a total of 34 gallons if using both units. Total power draw is 8 amps per unit. It's basically set with four separate low pressure pumps where we can use 1-4 pumps as needed. Each pump draws 4 amps. 24v system.

Very quiet, only the sound of the water pump under the floor boards.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:59   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Well, the OP stated he wants a single 240V AC system that makes 100lph, not two 24V DC systems.

CruiseRO and EchoTec are two companies that fit his desires.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbuoy View Post
Looking at a 240volt system that can produce approx. 100 litres/hr. I have a 5kva generator on board. e
Here is a link to download a copy of my Cruise RO 30 GPH (114LPH) water maker that would fit the requirements nicely:
www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/uploads/sm30.pdf

We have our unit mounted under the salon floor and can watch a video in the salon without needing to turn up the volume when the water maker is running. Is it silent, no, but I can't really hear it much over the generator and its available in 240v.

At a price of $5250 and great 7 day a week service and suppot...well I don't want to boast....since I'm the owner. Just do a Google search on Cruise RO Water Makers and you can find blogs and comments from lots of happy owners of the Cruise RO Water Makers.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:46   #5

Boat: Xc-45 2018

I have not tried it, but is getting good write up on Norwegian Blue Water Cruising site and found it very interesting, could be worth checking out.

http://www.cruiserowatermakerandpower.com

good luck.
Colin Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, the OP stated he wants a single 240V AC system that makes 100lph, not two 24V DC systems.

CruiseRO and EchoTec are two companies that fit his desires.

Mark
Hi Mark, but its not difficult to configure the arrangement to use the gen set as the primary source. Looked at from a different perspective, I would consider what Kenomac proposes - then the OP would have dual redundancy. If his gen set fails he could still run both or either of the two water makers via his 12/24v system with only minor work. It actually seems a good arrangement to me.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
It actually seems a good arrangement to me.
What would the cost of this dual 24v system flush out to be... $14K....$16K...??
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Not to mention the space requirements.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:35   #9
cruiser

I misunderstood the original post regarding the OP wanting to use 240v. I responded to the title "efficient and quiet." I still think the Spectra will meet his requirements in the configuration I suggested and provide 2-4 times redundancy in case of a genset failure... Which we had over the past three weeks. The lack of a working generator didn't stop us from making water each of the 21 or more days while awaiting my wife to return with the generator water pump from Massachusetts.

Something to think about....

Otherwise, I'm sure Rich can find him something in a size 240v that'll do the job.

We're discovering that redundancy is a good thing when trying to enjoy a six month continuous cruising season. We also have three units for refrigeration. We held onto the ice maker that I originally wanted to toss. It came in very handy over the past four weeks when the other two units pooped the bed, but that's another story... My wife killed one of them by accident.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:39   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
redundancy in case of a genset failure... Which we had over the past three weeks. The lack of a working generator didn't stop us from making water each of the 21 or more days while awaiting my wife to return with the generator water pump from Massachusetts.
Did I mention that the SM30 water maker can run from a 2000W inverter in the event of a generator failure?

Now I wouldn't recommend this as the standard way to power the water maker because we are talking about a 90A DC load, so you are NOT going to run that off of battery alone (unless you have LiFePO4 batteries). But for years now we have used our generator when at anchor and then while underway with our alternator putting out power we make water through the 2000W inverter. That way we arrive in the anchorage with full water tanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:07   #11

I think you should be looking for axial or reciprocating(??) Pump option. Can't remember which one is quietest but there's a big difference. Am sure there's an expert who will know which one to go for, I ordered one a while ago for a project and noise was specifically an issue, it was perfect. Good luck.
capt jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:48   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What would the cost of this dual 24v system flush out to be... $14K....$16K...??
Well, as you have asked a question on similar lines as to how long a piece of string is I reply in a similar vein. An experienced cruiser shall always look for redundancy. As there is already a generator this shall normally be arranged to recharge the batteries. Therefore there is a zero financial consequence in this particular regard (duhhhh) - this should be obvious to anyone that owns a boat or has owned a boat? In the case of running the water maker at 24v DC it a case of buying a step up transfomer or reorganising some wiring and batteries. It does not take any large amount of grey cells to fathom that out. To anyone that believes that it shall cost tens of thousands of dollars then they need to do their homework a lot more thoroughly. The chandleries must love such ignorance.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not to mention the space requirements.

Mark
What space requirements?
Old 10-08-2015, 13:27   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Looking for an efficient and quiet watermaker (100l/hr), any suggestions?

Way I see it unless it's changed, there are essentially two forms of watermakers,
1. DC powered that is usually low output, but sometimes very efficient and therefore their watts per gl can be very good and they can be quiet, which is a good thing as they will be running for many hours, but I think from an energy expenditure, nothing is as efficient?
2. AC powered, now I pretty much have given into the supposition that AC pretty much means generator. Generators are not especially quiet but if sized correctly pretty much equate to unlimited power, so as to minimize the run time of the generator, a high output watermaker makes sense. I can't make sense of a low output AC watermaker.
Redundancy is a very good thing, but some of us can't afford the cost and space of multiple units, and the maintenance that goes along with multiple units, so next best thing may to have both spares on hand, and it helps if the thing is made from readily available parts, as opposed to special made ones

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 13:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Well, as you have asked a question on similar lines as to how long a piece of string is I reply in a similar vein. An experienced cruiser shall always look for redundancy. As there is already a generator this shall normally be arranged to recharge the batteries. Therefore there is a zero financial consequence in this particular regard (duhhhh) - this should be obvious to anyone that owns a boat or has owned a boat? In the case of running the water maker at 24v DC it a case of buying a step up transfomer or reorganising some wiring and batteries. It does not take any large amount of grey cells to fathom that out. To anyone that believes that it shall cost tens of thousands of dollars then they need to do their homework a lot more thoroughly. The chandleries must love such ignorance.
With all due respect, once I stopped laughing I realized that you have No Idea what I was asking ... Maybe I was being too nice in not coming right out and saying it...but since that didn't work, I will try the 2x4 across the forehead approach, so here we go.

As you said, who in their right mind would think it would cost thousands of dollars for a transformer?@#?..But who was even suggesting such a crazy thing?

A 30GPH 240v AC water maker from either Cruise RO or Echotech will cost you right off their websites: $5250 or $5950. (These are actually rated at 33GPH at 68-degs so you will get closer to 35GPH in warm waters, but lets not quibble)

Now how much will two 24v DC water makers cost?
(Forget the fact that this wasn't what the original posted even asked for, but the card have been dwelt, so lets play along)

The Spectra Cape Horn Extreme 330 System 24VDC is rated at 14GPH and lists for $7400, so two of them will cost you $14,800 and give you 26GPH.

Maybe you don't want two water makers, but just want one larger unit that is comparable in product water production?
The 24v Spectra Newport 700 is rated at 29GPH and lists for $16,500

(Hmmm a coincidence that the two prices I gave are right in my $14-$16K range...uhhh...no)

Now with the 2x4 put away, a grand lesson can be seen here, which is:

If you are going to post a snarky post with references to doing ones homework and ignorance, then one should better review not just his post but the post to which he is referring...

just a final cautionary note: Kids, don't try this at home.
Although I make it look easy, I'm a professional smart ass with years of academy training and practice along with a few black eyes to prove it.

Tags
water, watermaker