Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2023, 18:03   #16

Boat: Kanter 54
Re: Liveaboard in Thailand?

Long term retirement visa is relatively straight forward.

The boat will only get a "visa" for 6 months. Pre covid this was easy to extend once to 12 months. More than this was possible if you were on the hardstand and contractors were working on the boat and could provide letters for customs.
For this extension agents were routinely charging 2022 5000thb. Its free and in Phuket the customs office is super friendly so you can do yourself. We heard Krabi might be easier for extensions.
Post covid things were changing so do not know current status.
The usual routine pre covid was one extension and an annual trip to Langkawi to renew the boat documents. A very painless operation and easy to do all documentation oneself. It could be arranged for status change from captain to allow you to fly out of Thailand without posting bond - not sure how this works on retirement visa. We enjoyed being on the "Phuket" of the peninsula side with many places to explore, easy run to Langkawi for boat papers. Malaysia & (Borneo) are worth considering and are more straight forward than Thailand for the boat - we never did retirement visas there. Cost of living less in Malaysia. As mentioned several price options boat lagoon noce and central but most expensive, anchor in Chalong also central, anchor or mooring at Yachthaven, marinas or anchor in Krabi. We are checking out East side soon.
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 20:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeamus View Post
Long term retirement visa is relatively straight forward.

The boat will only get a "visa" for 6 months. Pre covid this was easy to extend once to 12 months. More than this was possible if you were on the hardstand and contractors were working on the boat and could provide letters for customs.
For this extension agents were routinely charging 2022 5000thb. Its free and in Phuket the customs office is super friendly so you can do yourself. We heard Krabi might be easier for extensions.
Post covid things were changing so do not know current status.
The usual routine pre covid was one extension and an annual trip to Langkawi to renew the boat documents. A very painless operation and easy to do all documentation oneself. It could be arranged for status change from captain to allow you to fly out of Thailand without posting bond - not sure how this works on retirement visa. We enjoyed being on the "Phuket" of the peninsula side with many places to explore, easy run to Langkawi for boat papers. Malaysia & (Borneo) are worth considering and are more straight forward than Thailand for the boat - we never did retirement visas there. Cost of living less in Malaysia. As mentioned several price options boat lagoon noce and central but most expensive, anchor in Chalong also central, anchor or mooring at Yachthaven, marinas or anchor in Krabi. We are checking out East side soon.
Foreign flagged boats can stay in Thailand up to 2 and a half years only requires extending every 6months or yearly depending on where. I get 2 one year extensions and another 6 months but rarely stay in Thailand that long except covid when they gave me extensions up to 3 years.
Old 02-03-2023, 20:49   #18

Boat: Kanter 54

In Phuket?
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 00:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeamus View Post
In Phuket?
Krabi
Old 04-03-2023, 01:35   #20

Boat: Trophy 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So then it gets back to don't go to America because you'll be shot
Don't go to Australia, snakes,crocodiles, bogans
Don't go to South East Asia in general, pirates

I'd love to know what your mates "real life" experience was
Now that is a silly and frankly disrespectful comment Simi 60 and I would like to think the people on this site are better than that. Simple answer..i will not respond to anyone's posts and that will please you and some other. I really have no interest and I am sure others do not of progressing this topic any further so will not be responding to any more posts. If you post after this comment...then you are simply "feathering your own nest"
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:43   #21

Boat: Chartering so far

Haven’t you thought of sailing all the way to Thailand?
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:00   #22

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

I've looked into this topic in some detail. Here is what I found out.

1. There is no such thing as a "retirement visa" in Thailand. There are one-year long visas that can be renewed if the person meets the requirement every year (x amount of money in Thai bank account, foreign income stream, health insurance).

2. To keep a boat permanently in Thailand it must be imported there, which requires the payment of import duty or VAT, which I think was about 3% but wasn't material like in Europe >20% VAT.

3. Only a person with a Thai captain's licence can skipper a Thai flagged vessel.

4. To be eligible to take the Thai captain's licence (which can be taken in English), one must have had 2 (maybe it was 3) years of work experience on a Thai flagged vessel, working for a captain with a Thai captain's licence.

5. To work on a Thai vessel, one would need a work permit for Thailand - not so easy to get, especially for a job a Thai person can do.

So, for the above reasons and not wanting to have to hire someone with a Thai captain's licence to take me sailing on my own boat, I've given up on the idea of keeping my boat permanently in Thailand.

Hope this helps the OP.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:14   #23

Thai authorities, and Thai police are different to British and American ones. You can easily, painfully and expensively fall foul of the “system”. In any disagreement, the foreigner is always wrong. No question.
guitarrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 14:37   #24

I would still advise the OP to consider Malaysia as the most viable alternative to settling as a live aboard in Thailand.
Langkawi has a substantial expat community of both retirees and business owners and the “Malaysia my second home” option is the path of least resistance but some long term Yachtie’s do the 90 day visa and exit the country for a week before the visa expires and renew for 90 days again on return. I know some who’ve been doing this for 20 years. The boat has no restrictions but the Jabatan Laut does charge a very small fee payable on departure. It’s helpful to have Langkawi international registration. The Marinas all require evidence of insurance. The island is somewhat duty free so if you smoke, or drink alcohol you’re in for a treat.
The 3 government agencies that you need to deal with are Jabatan Laut ( harbourmaster) Kastam and most importantly, Immigration. All are polite and humane but be very careful to not get crosswise with Immigration.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Assuming the OP is over 50 and has a reasonable income, he should be able to get a retirement visa, so he won't have to muck about with border runs.

If he doesn't qualify, worst case get the 60 day tourist visa and 30 day extension (90days total) and that limits border runs to 4 per year. With cheap flights, it's a good excuse to take a weekend somewhere in SE Asia.

You will need a TM-30 (?). It's the form that documents where you are living. I'm not sure how they will view you living on a boat but worst case, rent a really cheap, no air/con room to get your form. I'm betting for a couple thousand baht, a landlord would be willing to set aside a broom closet and give you the form. No one is going to check that you actually stay there.
Actually now immigration is supposed to visit every residence claimed by a foreigner. This cannot be done as a practical matter (insufficient staff) so Krabi immigration where I am registered requires a video call from the applicant at the claimed residence. I had to do this at initial retirement visa application 4-ish months ago and again just prior to getting the 1 year chop. I do not know how immigration offices other than Krabi manage this.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I've looked into this topic in some detail. Here is what I found out.

1. There is no such thing as a "retirement visa" in Thailand. There are one-year long visas that can be renewed if the person meets the requirement every year (x amount of money in Thai bank account, foreign income stream, health insurance).

2. To keep a boat permanently in Thailand it must be imported there, which requires the payment of import duty or VAT, which I think was about 3% but wasn't material like in Europe >20% VAT.

3. Only a person with a Thai captain's licence can skipper a Thai flagged vessel.

4. To be eligible to take the Thai captain's licence (which can be taken in English), one must have had 2 (maybe it was 3) years of work experience on a Thai flagged vessel, working for a captain with a Thai captain's licence.

5. To work on a Thai vessel, one would need a work permit for Thailand - not so easy to get, especially for a job a Thai person can do.

So, for the above reasons and not wanting to have to hire someone with a Thai captain's licence to take me sailing on my own boat, I've given up on the idea of keeping my boat permanently in Thailand.

Hope this helps the OP.
As to point 1.
Click image for larger version

Name:	4759AE18-8116-4100-B843-5FED6F94EE0E.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	272484

The requirement for a Thai Captain seems to apply to Leaving or Entering the country. I have recently been sailing Thai waters on a Thai-flagged vessel without any Thai crew, let alone captain, without difficulty although admittedly also without Thai government entity inspection of crew on board.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:36   #27

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Living in Thailand is great easy and cheap.
So much misinformation here from people who hear things. Ignore it.
I live in Krabi on my boat have done for the last 3 years.
Been in and out of Thailand for 8 years.
Contact the Thai Visa Center in Bangkok, Google it Grace is the lady’s name.
Tell them what your plan is they will give you instructions. Pay the fee mine was 35000 odd Baht.( 3 years ago) Makes life so easy they deal with Immigration.
You can get a 1 year stay visa renewable commonly known as a Retirement Visa.
Easiest way is to have the 800,000 baht in Bangkok Bank but the Visa Center will arrange everything.
If you are importing your boat the Shipping agent the should should sort out the Paperwork. I have no experience with that, I sailed in from Malaysia.
As I understand no need for it to be Thai registered.
Customs will give you 6 months then extensions every 6 months up to 2.5/years.
I use Port Takola Marina Krabi as my home base and address and they will do Customs and Harbour master for you. They will give you a letter for Immigration to say you live there but you must actually spend some time with them during the year which you will want to during the monsoon season. They are strictly legal.
Krabi Immigration is good. I use Chan from Friendly Bar and Cafe in Krabi town at the Poodam markets she is a Visa agent as well.
I always take an English speaking agent to visit any Government office.
Based in Krabi is cheaper than Phuket and plenty of cruising grounds, quick run to Malaysia if you want. Krabi is good for all weather conditions.
You can buy anything you want from Lazada online shopping food Thai and Western, boat bits etc. using your Thai Bank account. So much easier than trying to search local shops.
When in Thailand think Thai it is not like a western country the mentality is completely different to Western Do not try to impose your thinking on them. They can be the most generous and the most selfish the most frustrating at the same time don’t fight it, learn. You are rich they are poor be careful.
Each person has a different experience, but I think getting your Retirement Visa first is a good first step. You can go in and out on that visa just need to buy a re entry permit from Immigration first. The Visa Center will sort that for you.
That is as up to date as I can give you just been thru it to renew everything in the last month.
Best advice pay an Agent to help you. It is not big money. No stress.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:47   #28

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Langkawi Malaysia is no longer a friendly option. They don’t want us foreigners there any more. Covid and some local officials have decimated the yachtie population.
Malaysia my second home visa is expensive.
Malaysia was always the best but no longer, that’s why I live Thailand now.
Even Indonesia is becoming more friendly and easier.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:55   #29

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Living in Thailand is great easy and cheap.
So much misinformation here from people who hear things. Ignore it.
I live in Krabi on my boat have done for the last 3 years.
Been in and out of Thailand for 8 years.
Contact the Thai Visa Center in Bangkok, Google it Grace is the lady’s name.
Tell them what your plan is they will give you instructions. Pay the fee mine was 35000 odd Baht.( 3 years ago) Makes life so easy they deal with Immigration.
You can get a 1 year stay visa renewable commonly known as a Retirement Visa.
Easiest way is to have the 800,000 baht in Bangkok Bank but the Visa Center will arrange everything.
If you are importing your boat the Shipping agent the should should sort out the Paperwork. I have no experience with that, I sailed in from Malaysia.
As I understand no need for it to be Thai registered.
Customs will give you 6 months then extensions every 6 months up to 2.5/years.
I use Port Takola Marina Krabi as my home base and address and they will do Customs and Harbour master for you. They will give you a letter for Immigration to say you live there but you must actually spend some time with them during the year which you will want to during the monsoon season. They are strictly legal.
Krabi Immigration is good. I use Chan from Friendly Bar and Cafe in Krabi town at the Poodam markets she is a Visa agent as well.
I always take an English speaking agent to visit any Government office.
Based in Krabi is cheaper than Phuket and plenty of cruising grounds, quick run to Malaysia if you want. Krabi is good for all weather conditions.
You can buy anything you want from Lazada online shopping food Thai and Western, boat bits etc. using your Thai Bank account. So much easier than trying to search local shops.
When in Thailand think Thai it is not like a western country the mentality is completely different to Western Do not try to impose your thinking on them. They can be the most generous and the most selfish the most frustrating at the same time don’t fight it, learn. You are rich they are poor be careful.
Each person has a different experience, but I think getting your Retirement Visa first is a good first step. You can go in and out on that visa just need to buy a re entry permit from Immigration first. The Visa Center will sort that for you.
That is as up to date as I can give you just been thru it to renew everything in the last month.
Best advice pay an Agent to help you. It is not big money. No stress.
Having just returned from Thailand a few months ago, this is an extremely accurate post.

everything here is correct.

I was seriously considering moving to Thailand myself. However, the heat. Worries about pollution also. Although when I was there the pollution was not a problem. I just don’t want to be in that much heat anymore. I am done with heat. Ha ha.

what a wonderful country though. If only the climate was different I would live there. So accurate about the people above. Good post. I actually had a great time and was able to relate to everyone and everyone was nice to me I did not have any difficulties at all with people in Thailand. No problems. All you need to do is be respectful, learn a little Thai and not act like an idiot (be reserved, etc... Match what you see).

It’s a wonderful place. It was nice to be in a country that didn’t have so much hate.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 19:29   #30
Marine Service Provider

Agree with the above with the exception of agents. I do it myself and have for the past 14 years its not hard . Port Takola is good but you need transport. I suggested to Mathew they do a ferry service to Krabi town. Importing a boat is a bit of a hassle I have done one a few years back. As mentioned you only need a Thai Captains cert if you wish to go outside Thailand. As somebody managed to sink a Thai flagged boat a few years ago on the way to Langkawi it created all sorts of problems for all Thai flagged boats as it was a foreign crew...
Thai captains certificate is not hard to do but mine has expired as I never really needed it.

Tags
liveaboard, Thailand