Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2023, 04:47   #46

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m
Re: Liveaboard in Thailand?

Skipperpete
Thanks for that, a WA boy myself so don’t know Ballina.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:51   #47

memnoch
Come on over just a short, think you have enough information already.
Paul Jackson at Yacht Broker Charters Langkawi is a fine Englishman been there a long time easy to deal with for buying knows his stuff. Deals with him a couple of times.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:09   #48

Boat: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
memnoch
Come on over just a short, think you have enough information already.
Paul Jackson at Yacht Broker Charters Langkawi is a fine Englishman been there a long time easy to deal with for buying knows his stuff. Deals with him a couple of times.

Cheers, needing to do a bit of a refresher so trying to book a few days with Java Yachting in Phuket for some time. Pick up a charter for a week around Krabi to do a few miles and make a decision after that.

Will bear Paul Jackson in mind. The boats for sale in the area aren't really the sort that massively intrigue me but tbh they are probably the sort that are more useful in that environment.
memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 19:51   #49
Marine Service Provider

My wife and I have spent three and a half years total in south East Asia. We decided not to take the boat up there for many reasons. Probably the main reason is that we have owned a motorbike in thailand since 2012 and we enjoy cruising around the mountains in northern Thailand. It's quite a contrast to being mostly on the great barrier reef. The 3ps as they are known are the main red light districts which we avoid like the plague. Like red light distracts around the world they are a haven for drugs and organised crime. Visas are much easier to deal with and there seems to be more English spoken in Malaysia. Of course I am not familiar with the bar girl scene but I believe they speak many languages. The Malaysian people are wonderful as are the Thais. I like the food in both countries. Vietnam was a bit of a disappointment food wise for me as was Cambodia. Laos has great food and southern Burma was pretty good before they descended into civil war. Yes I called it Burma because every single person I asked called it Burma not Myanmar, I think that's what the military prefer.
I think regardless of whether you live in Thailand or Malaysia you will be constantly travelling between the two for visas. As far as religion goes I don't really see much of a difference between the two. I think Thailand has the best food and the people seem happier there. Murdoch's minions seem to think theirs a suicide bomber under every bed, ignorance must truly be bliss. Twice we were within earshot of explosions, once in bangkok during one of there military coups and once in hat yai on the Thai Malaysia border. We walked through the middle of both the red shirts and the yellow shirts in full voice in Bangkok during the protests and other than being pestered to buy a whistle we were never threatened. Malaysia seems to have less crime than Thailand but that is only my perspective as I am much more knowledgeable about Thailand and speak a little Thai I am probably just more aware of it. We also have many Thai friends that keep us informed about Thailand on a regular basis.
I love Asia in general and particularly like the adventure of exploring new areas. We managed to get into southern Burma by helping the immigration officer do his English exam. At that time we were exploring the Thai Burma railway from world war 2, remember the bridge over the river kwai, and the Burmese Border was closed. We went to the border crossing for a coffee and a feed. Only local villagers were allowed to cross into Thailand. We did however notice a lot of motorcycles in pick ups crossing into Burma, quiet a steady stream in fact. We were told by a local Thai that they were mainly stolen bikes from Thailand going into Burma to be sold. Anyway after helping the immigration guy he told us to come back in a few weeks and he would let us through to the real wild west. Walking into a small roadside stop in the mountains in southern Burma was like a scene out of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. The only difference in the dimly lit windowless bar was the weapons, a mix of ak47s and old world war two bolt action rifles. Mainly British Lee Enfields. They just stared at the idiot westerner in total shock as i said "gidday mate, wheres the toilet". We found out later we were in a war zone, fortunately the locals were just as stunned to see us as we were them.a Great trip.
If you are up for adventure, as most sailors are, then you will love Asia no matter where you go. Goodluck and fair winds wherever you decide to go.
Cheers
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 20:47   #50

Boat: Trophy 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Single use plastic pollution is a problem. We need to remember who gave them plastic.
Us so called “civilised “developed countries sold it to them for Corporate profits
before plastic they used banana leaf for cooking wrapping eating, so environmentally sustainable.
The country is developing and with it the infrastructure to deal with waste disposal.
However as Chotu mentioned the lack of hate discrimination and far less regulatory control makes it a winner.
You will find your happy place in Thailand, further North not so hot.
Hi Ian. My condo overlooked the water and I had a 'Scope" like a telescope but more suited to my needs. They are used heavily by "Birders". I used to watch those small day fishing boats who were pulling long lines by hand and the hooks were set about 2 meters apart. Without failure, say 5 out of six hooks would come up with plastic and the fisherman would just remove it and throw it back in the water rather than take it home for disposal. Every hook with a plastic bag would not have any fish or crab on it but back in the ocean it would go. When I did my scuba ticket over there, the waters around the islands were beautiful until you went for a dive and it was horrible to see the amount of plastic on the ocean floor. The problem is made worse because the storm water drains in Pattaya are appalling and when it has a down poor, most of the roads get up to 600mm deep (or more) so all of the rubbish on the land just floats into the ocean. It is sad but no one cares about this and frankly, they are just trying to "live' as there is (effectively) no Social Welfare system in Thailand. I agree Pattaya is a 'red light' district but apart from a very small area in Phuket, I dont know that I would classify it the same.
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 22:02   #51
Marine Service Provider

I agree about the plastic. We actually went to Thailand the first time to check out the facilities and anchorages etc before we took the boat up there. We decided that it was so polluted compared to the great barrier reef we wouldn't be in a hurry to take the boat up to Asia. We will take the boat up eventually but only to visit and come back. We would rather buy a canal boat in Europe. The Thais have little regulation and what they do have they largely ignore. None of our friends have licenses, very rarely if ever wear a helmet and don't understand the concept of a speed limit or overloading a vehicle.
They also very rarely if ever pay taxes. No taxes means no government services like rubbish disposal and recycling. It's not easy to get rid of rubbish and it's rare in a lot of places to find a bin. It mostly just gets thrown on the ground and ultimately into the ocean. Sydney is much the same as far as plastic in the ocean. Last time I was there I was anchored in black wattle Bay, I couldn't figure out what sort of seaweed was growing there until I jumped in for a better look. It was billions of those single use plastic bags, the anchor chain was covered in them and it took ages to get the anchor up. They also have signs saying the fish in the harbour are toxic and should not be eaten.
I'll take the great barrier reef any day thanks.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 22:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeamus View Post
Long term retirement visa is relatively straight forward.

The boat will only get a "visa" for 6 months. Pre covid this was easy to extend once to 12 months. More than this was possible if you were on the hardstand and contractors were working on the boat and could provide letters for customs.
For this extension agents were routinely charging 2022 5000thb. Its free and in Phuket the customs office is super friendly so you can do yourself. We heard Krabi might be easier for extensions.
Post covid things were changing so do not know current status.
The usual routine pre covid was one extension and an annual trip to Langkawi to renew the boat documents. A very painless operation and easy to do all documentation oneself. It could be arranged for status change from captain to allow you to fly out of Thailand without posting bond - not sure how this works on retirement visa. We enjoyed being on the "Phuket" of the peninsula side with many places to explore, easy run to Langkawi for boat papers. Malaysia & (Borneo) are worth considering and are more straight forward than Thailand for the boat - we never did retirement visas there. Cost of living less in Malaysia. As mentioned several price options boat lagoon noce and central but most expensive, anchor in Chalong also central, anchor or mooring at Yachthaven, marinas or anchor in Krabi. We are checking out East side soon.
You comment is clearly informed and 100% accurate. Good job mate
Old 09-03-2023, 21:23   #53

Ok the latest I have on boat extension from Customs last week via Port Takola, Matthew, was, you get the Initial 6 months then can go back every 6 months for an extension up to 2.5 years. Staying for tourism is an ok reason.

However when I did my second extension in Feb. at the office myself I was told only max 12 months unless the boat disabled, requires Engineer reporting and documentation .
The way it always was. I discussed with Matthew he got the above response.

The relevant legislation is to prevent Thai people owning foreign flagged vessels. The Government wants the tax from its citizens.

From that I have the impression that if you use a Marina to do your Custom and Harbour Master check in and or extensions you get more favourable treatment.
Port Takola has done my extensions the last 3 years the last one just a change of circumstances.
Suffice to say they will do them again.

Also in Krabi the Harbour Master has asked all check in/ out to be done via a Marina.
It’s Thailand so different Ports and Staff may do things differently, and your experience may be different.
As mentioned in previous posts I have better results using an agent for Immigration, Customs, Harbour Master.
Old 11-03-2023, 22:12   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Strange as the HM never gives me any trouble. Mind you they did ask me to use the online system but its as clear as mud. Even my Thai wife doesn't understand it 555 my wife just extended my boat as I am in Europe and again no problem got 12 months mind you after 15 years they know me and I know them..
Old 20-03-2023, 17:41   #55

Great your moving to thailand!!!! I spent ~6 years there , first backpacking then got a degreee from there . Easily the best years of my life. If I was you Id stick down to the islands and stay away from the main spots. Pattaya is dirty and give Thailand a bad rep. There is Koh Lan which would be cool to go on a day trip. Def check Koh Samedt , Chaang, Dtao. There are loads of islands so you don't have to end up in Phuket. Samui is meh but if you stay in the small bungalos you will meet the most amazing people. If you want to just see cool stuff that is where to go. If you are wanting to liveaboard in BKK then you will probably be near the water transports. This is the best way to get around because BKK was first designed to be traveled by boat and then roads were kinda attached to it. Learn directions and figure out how to take those and you will save yourself a lot of time. Water is utterly disgusting so I never took them. There are 1-2 islands in the Chao Praya you might be able to dock/dingy into. The one I went to had a fort on it and a big temple. That would be a boss trip if you see it on your way in. Go up to the mountains in chiang mai, chiang rai region. Try Isaan food. I never got to see much of the area but the food iis amazing and people will be impressed that you know of it. Learn some Thai but don't let people know that you speak any. You will learn a lot by how open they will trash talk you to your face. It's common for them to laugh at you. It's not in a bad way its just more culturally accepted there so don't think about it. Do 100% learn the thai number system. A lot of places will have two seperate prices one for locals and one for you. Sometimes if you point out that you understand you can get a better deal. Go buy The King Never Smiles and read it but do not bring it with you. It's a book about the history of the Thai King and if you are caught with it you could get 10 years for les majeste laws. You should def. read it though because there will be your new hope and its simply good to know the history. Also when Thai's are cool with you and open up they will be impressed that you actually know about their history. Just because people make laws doesnt really mean people stop doing anything, ofc they talk about these matters. Know the different Rama's and some basic tidbits about them esp after 5. Make sure you are there in Apr for Song Kran. The absolute bessssssttttt time in the world. Start in BKK->Pattaya->Chiang Mai. They line up the dates so you can visit all of them. As far as the religious stuff that is extremely rare and only if you go down to the South. Most Thai I know don't want to go there and kinda pretend that area doesn't exist. To be honest I have no idea why someone would go to Malayasia/Indonesia over Thailand to start with. Religion in general is very relaxed there. People go to temple and all but I know plenty of people go there straight from the club. They really aren't bothered about it. Also if you see naked women paintings when you use the bathroom in a Thai's home that is normal. I have no idea why they do that? Bring your own tp outside the major areas. Its going to be squat toilets so be prepaared for that. Honestly keep some in your car because you can find those eight outside BKK. Ohhh make sure they dont screw up your visa...... If they give you a month to do something be done with it in 2 weeks. They "lost" my student visa application and then told me I owed them 30000 baht in fines...... It's been a decade since I was there but I hope it hasn't changed. That place and those years were the happiest period of my life. Didn't answer your question but hope I helped. I'm incredibly jealous of you and hope you have an amazing journey over there.

* If you end up in dirty places like Pattaya make sure you go off the beaten track and meet proper Thai people. Meet some folks have them take you to where they normally eat and chill. It will be totally different than all the crazy gogo bar nonsense. Pattaya a couple of blocks outside the bars all the resteraunts where office eat are. It's just night and day.
sadly_dont_have is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 17:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhand View Post
My wife and I have spent three and a half years total in south East Asia. We decided not to take the boat up there for many reasons. Probably the main reason is that we have owned a motorbike in thailand since 2012 and we enjoy cruising around the mountains in northern Thailand. It's quite a contrast to being mostly on the great barrier reef. The 3ps as they are known are the main red light districts which we avoid like the plague. Like red light distracts around the world they are a haven for drugs and organised crime. Visas are much easier to deal with and there seems to be more English spoken in Malaysia. Of course I am not familiar with the bar girl scene but I believe they speak many languages. The Malaysian people are wonderful as are the Thais. I like the food in both countries. Vietnam was a bit of a disappointment food wise for me as was Cambodia. Laos has great food and southern Burma was pretty good before they descended into civil war. Yes I called it Burma because every single person I asked called it Burma not Myanmar, I think that's what the military prefer.
I think regardless of whether you live in Thailand or Malaysia you will be constantly travelling between the two for visas. As far as religion goes I don't really see much of a difference between the two. I think Thailand has the best food and the people seem happier there. Murdoch's minions seem to think theirs a suicide bomber under every bed, ignorance must truly be bliss. Twice we were within earshot of explosions, once in bangkok during one of there military coups and once in hat yai on the Thai Malaysia border. We walked through the middle of both the red shirts and the yellow shirts in full voice in Bangkok during the protests and other than being pestered to buy a whistle we were never threatened. Malaysia seems to have less crime than Thailand but that is only my perspective as I am much more knowledgeable about Thailand and speak a little Thai I am probably just more aware of it. We also have many Thai friends that keep us informed about Thailand on a regular basis.
I love Asia in general and particularly like the adventure of exploring new areas. We managed to get into southern Burma by helping the immigration officer do his English exam. At that time we were exploring the Thai Burma railway from world war 2, remember the bridge over the river kwai, and the Burmese Border was closed. We went to the border crossing for a coffee and a feed. Only local villagers were allowed to cross into Thailand. We did however notice a lot of motorcycles in pick ups crossing into Burma, quiet a steady stream in fact. We were told by a local Thai that they were mainly stolen bikes from Thailand going into Burma to be sold. Anyway after helping the immigration guy he told us to come back in a few weeks and he would let us through to the real wild west. Walking into a small roadside stop in the mountains in southern Burma was like a scene out of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. The only difference in the dimly lit windowless bar was the weapons, a mix of ak47s and old world war two bolt action rifles. Mainly British Lee Enfields. They just stared at the idiot westerner in total shock as i said "gidday mate, wheres the toilet". We found out later we were in a war zone, fortunately the locals were just as stunned to see us as we were them.a Great trip.
If you are up for adventure, as most sailors are, then you will love Asia no matter where you go. Goodluck and fair winds wherever you decide to go.
Cheers
Some SE travel stories I thought you would relate to

I was up in the North doing a jungle safari. Go ride elephants camp out in the jungle with the long necks. Super cool touristy time. Our guide found out I was exmilitary and we started talking. Apparently his people historically span both burma and thailand. They were having to take all the long necks and move them up out of Burma before they were shot. So he would go in pull indigenous women out and then hook up with american forces and run weapons in. This was ages ago too way before it got to the current level. He was super stoked and really appreciated how the American military was trying to help them. Crazy to think how bad its gotten.

I was on the ferry going Cambodia to Nam and the beggar kids come up. One of them had this grilling apron on and was holding it open with the two nubs where his hands should be. He lost them to a mine. So everyone gives this kid all the canse we can find. Five minutes later we hear this screaming. The other kids had beaten the crap out of that boy to get his cans..... I would never go back to that place.
sadly_dont_have is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 18:04   #57

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

VERY accurate!

And the OP will have to get good with the bum gun speaking of toilets. Ha ha.

To be honest, once I got used to that thing, I liked it better than toilet paper.

I mean come on. Are you going to brush some feces off your hands using some dry toilet paper? Or are you going to use water? What’s more clean? Lolol.

No contest. The bum gun wins every time.

The real trick is trying to figure out how to aim it and how much pressure to use. Lol Ha ha ha

If I had already got my water maker working I would have put one in the boat. My ex or whatever she is definitely likes those as well. The dessicating toilet did not go over well for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadly_dont_have View Post
Great your moving to thailand!!!! I spent ~6 years there , first backpacking then got a degreee from there . Easily the best years of my life. If I was you Id stick down to the islands and stay away from the main spots. Pattaya is dirty and give Thailand a bad rep. There is Koh Lan which would be cool to go on a day trip. Def check Koh Samedt , Chaang, Dtao. There are loads of islands so you don't have to end up in Phuket. Samui is meh but if you stay in the small bungalos you will meet the most amazing people. If you want to just see cool stuff that is where to go. If you are wanting to liveaboard in BKK then you will probably be near the water transports. This is the best way to get around because BKK was first designed to be traveled by boat and then roads were kinda attached to it. Learn directions and figure out how to take those and you will save yourself a lot of time. Water is utterly disgusting so I never took them. There are 1-2 islands in the Chao Praya you might be able to dock/dingy into. The one I went to had a fort on it and a big temple. That would be a boss trip if you see it on your way in. Go up to the mountains in chiang mai, chiang rai region. Try Isaan food. I never got to see much of the area but the food iis amazing and people will be impressed that you know of it. Learn some Thai but don't let people know that you speak any. You will learn a lot by how open they will trash talk you to your face. It's common for them to laugh at you. It's not in a bad way its just more culturally accepted there so don't think about it. Do 100% learn the thai number system. A lot of places will have two seperate prices one for locals and one for you. Sometimes if you point out that you understand you can get a better deal. Go buy The King Never Smiles and read it but do not bring it with you. It's a book about the history of the Thai King and if you are caught with it you could get 10 years for les majeste laws. You should def. read it though because there will be your new hope and its simply good to know the history. Also when Thai's are cool with you and open up they will be impressed that you actually know about their history. Just because people make laws doesnt really mean people stop doing anything, ofc they talk about these matters. Know the different Rama's and some basic tidbits about them esp after 5. Make sure you are there in Apr for Song Kran. The absolute bessssssttttt time in the world. Start in BKK->Pattaya->Chiang Mai. They line up the dates so you can visit all of them. As far as the religious stuff that is extremely rare and only if you go down to the South. Most Thai I know don't want to go there and kinda pretend that area doesn't exist. To be honest I have no idea why someone would go to Malayasia/Indonesia over Thailand to start with. Religion in general is very relaxed there. People go to temple and all but I know plenty of people go there straight from the club. They really aren't bothered about it. Also if you see naked women paintings when you use the bathroom in a Thai's home that is normal. I have no idea why they do that? Bring your own tp outside the major areas. Its going to be squat toilets so be prepaared for that. Honestly keep some in your car because you can find those eight outside BKK. Ohhh make sure they dont screw up your visa...... If they give you a month to do something be done with it in 2 weeks. They "lost" my student visa application and then told me I owed them 30000 baht in fines...... It's been a decade since I was there but I hope it hasn't changed. That place and those years were the happiest period of my life. Didn't answer your question but hope I helped. I'm incredibly jealous of you and hope you have an amazing journey over there.

* If you end up in dirty places like Pattaya make sure you go off the beaten track and meet proper Thai people. Meet some folks have them take you to where they normally eat and chill. It will be totally different than all the crazy gogo bar nonsense. Pattaya a couple of blocks outside the bars all the resteraunts where office eat are. It's just night and day.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 19:38   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

First thing I installed on the boat was a bum gun

Can't have a crap without one, just feel so dirty.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 20:28   #59

G'day Simi. You have to explain what a Bum gun" is. I am too scared to Google it in case all of these "Gay" sites come up !!!
Old 20-03-2023, 21:31   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Roo View Post
G'day Simi. You have to explain what a Bum gun" is. I am too scared to Google it in case all of these "Gay" sites come up !!!

Tags
liveaboard, Thailand