Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 08:46   #76

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Liveaboard Dating

In my experience the first question a woman asks after being told you live aboard is "Is your divorce final yet?"
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 09:13   #77

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The liveaboard life breaks more relationships than it creates.You have to be clear right from the getgo that boat comes first.After all,it could be life or death.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 10:44   #78

Jassen

Well. What can I say. It's a pity you're in Colorado and I'm in Australia. I always said that if I had enough money to buy a house, I'd buy a boat.

With what little cruising & living aboard I have done (Central America, Galapagos, Panama, a bit in Oz) I've found there are 3 types of women on boats.

1. The ones who say they love sailing & living aboard just b/c their menfolk love it & they desperately hope that one day his 'hobby' will be over.

2. The ones who hate it and won't sail or live aboard. Or who do so begrudgingly and sparingly.

3. The ones who genuinely love either sailing or living aboard or both.

Sure, it can be a tough life when living aboard for months & years on end, but the freedom to go wherever the whim and the can finances cope cannot be beaten by any amount of sedentary bricks & mortar.

You'll find her. She's out there. My guess is you'll probably need to date several women before being able to work out whether she's 1, 2 or 3. There is a 4th category. They're the ones you date b/c they'll think that living on a boat is really romantic and cool. You'll suss them out very quickly. Just show them how the pump action toilet works and that'll generally send them running.

Good luck in your quest, Jassen.
Serena
Old 22-06-2012, 11:59   #79

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah31

Neither my wife or I sailed when we met. Even though I'm more the sailor than she is, she has the same sense of adventure and living simply which makes her almost more anxious to sell the house and move aboard as soon as possible!
Old 23-06-2012, 10:27   #80

That's interesting, Drew - I have to say that for me, I think the desire to live a simple life is an admirable one and it is one which I think leads many into a liveaboard lifestyle - that along with the desire to take off at a moments notice. I'm so glad you and your wife are making plans to ditch the bricks and mortar and to head out to a more ocean-based lifestyle! Bravo to you
Old 23-06-2012, 11:33   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Think of the boat as a filter for finding the right type of gal. It keeps the gold diggers, the girly girls and the land lubbers away.

.......and the fat chicks.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 05:47   #82

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
.......and the fat chicks.
They have their purpose on the boat: ballast, emergency flotation, etc.
Old 24-06-2012, 14:56   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I've found this has to do with having family in the area. A woman in an area with no family, or whose family is widely dispersed through the US, or better through the world is more likely IMO to have the bug.
This is actually a pretty astute observation. I've never thought of it before, but looking back on past relationships, it's dead on. My first wife is an excellent case in point: She had over 200 direct family members living within about a 75 mile radius of us, and they were all devout members of the same religion, and I was not. Needless to say, that marriage was doomed from the get go!

As for the Russian dating sites...I hate to admit, but I've actually done that before, and was far from impressed. Most of them are ripoffs, some more than others (DreamMarriage.com - worst experience with a company ever!).

My personal preferences tend to run much more Asian in nature. I recently met an 82 year old man whose wife of 60 years had passed away a couple years ago, and through an interesting and humorous series of events, he ended up in the Philippines and married a 39 year old little hottie. Restored my hope that I wouldn't be alone forever.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 15:16   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Well. What can I say. It's a pity you're in Colorado and I'm in Australia. I always said that if I had enough money to buy a house, I'd buy a boat.
I am actively engaged in trying to obtain permanent residency in Australia under the Skilled Migration program. How about you and I get hitched, speed up my immigration process. That way you get your boat, and I get an Aus visa. Eh? Eh? No? OK, it was worth a shot.

I think your 4 categories are right on. Those can be generally applied to just about any major hobby, I believe. Trust me, my 1st wife did NOT appreciate the money and time I spent on my airplane back in my flying days!
Old 24-06-2012, 15:46   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Jassen

With what little cruising & living aboard I have done (Central America, Galapagos, Panama, a bit in Oz) I've found there are 3 types of women on boats.

1. The ones who say they love sailing & living aboard just b/c their menfolk love it & they desperately hope that one day his 'hobby' will be over.

2. The ones who hate it and won't sail or live aboard. Or who do so begrudgingly and sparingly.

3. The ones who genuinely love either sailing or living aboard or both.

Sure, it can be a tough life when living aboard for months & years on end, but the freedom to go wherever the whim and the can finances cope cannot be beaten by any amount of sedentary bricks & mortar.

You'll find her. She's out there. My guess is you'll probably need to date several women before being able to work out whether she's 1, 2 or 3. There is a 4th category. They're the ones you date b/c they'll think that living on a boat is really romantic and cool. You'll suss them out very quickly. Just show them how the pump action toilet works and that'll generally send them running.

Good luck in your quest, Jassen.
Serena
just a note to those of you who choose to CATEGORIZE anyone, especially women....IS NO WONDER YOU ALWAYS BITCH ABOUT WOMEN--YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WOMEN. i am surprised you can even THINK about dating--you have no social skills. by keeping these mindsets, you will NOT EVER find a female with whom to cruise.
get real. find a real woman. they-er-WE do exist--you just have to put out the energy and have the motivation and OPEN MINDS to find us. we do not need you--you need us. we will not seek you out--you must find us. we will not faun over your boat--we each have our own. you must make yourself indispensible. rofl. goood luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 17:19   #86

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we do not need you--you need us
Baloney.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 17:24   #87

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
just a note to those of you who choose to CATEGORIZE anyone, especially women....IS NO WONDER YOU ALWAYS BITCH ABOUT WOMEN--YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WOMEN. i am surprised you can even THINK about dating--you have no social skills. by keeping these mindsets, you will NOT EVER find a female with whom to cruise.
get real. find a real woman. they-er-WE do exist--you just have to put out the energy and have the motivation and OPEN MINDS to find us. we do not need you--you need us. we will not seek you out--you must find us. we will not faun over your boat--we each have our own. you must make yourself indispensible. rofl. goood luck.
Wow ... you having a bad day zee or just playing hard to get?
Old 24-06-2012, 17:27   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

just laughing at the male egos thinking women will flock to them when they have boats..LOL

if the women didnt flock to ye before ye bought the boat, they willnot flock to ye after you buy the boat. categorizing females is ludicrous attempt to try to understand the superficiality behind the categorizing...

and we ladies do NOT have any kind of NEED (much less desire) for superficial males who arent able to handle selves in weather or in public.

btw--i am having absolutely PERFECT days here in pair a dice-weather is perfect, repairs are easy and inexpensive and well effected, and life is awesome.

you guys really should get out more often.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 17:40   #89

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

This reminds me of the joke about the guy who describes his wife as ...the best he could get with the car he had at the time.
Old 24-06-2012, 17:52   #90

Quote:
you must make yourself indispensible
Actually, no, I don't. There's nothing I *must* do. All things in life are entirely optional, especially choosing whether or not I want to share my life with another human being in a deeply personal matter.

On top of that, a relationship based on any sort of "indispensable" anything is an unhealthy relationship, for both parties. There's a bunch of psychological research behind this that I don't care to look up or quote, but I do recall from the old kollidge days that indispensable dependencies ain't good.

If I do choose to share my life with another person in that manner, then it is entirely within my perogative to determine ahead of time the characteristics I do and do not desire in that person. This necessitates categorization of individual traits, as well as undesirable traits.

Everybody does this, without fail, including yourself. You may deny doing such, but even subconsciously, you still do it. Even the act of categorizing men into "yes, I'll go on a date with you" or "no, I will not go on a date with you" is still categorization. It's a perfectly natural human tendency.

My categorization/elimination process is quite organized compared to most men. I have a WRITTEN list of traits I do and do not want in a life partner. For example, I will not date smokers. That is a blatant categorization: You either smoke or you don't. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

Tags
liveaboard