Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 23:38   #61

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Liveaboard Dating

I think a better question is: "How do I keep all these chicks off of my boat?"
Old 19-06-2012, 08:46   #62
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sometimes I only wear half. Like now .
Lost the bottom half again or just left it behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
I think a better question is: "How do I keep all these chicks off of my boat?"
Take a leaf from DOJ's book - "Hey, wanna see my new 'kini"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:40   #63

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Greetings

Dating and a long term relationship are a million miles apart.

I have been living on a 51 foot motor yacht for the last 4 years and a 42 foot for 6 years before that.

I have had dates and the ladies loved the romantic side of the life on the water and at the marina, but when it came time to be onboard when I would need to do the standard duties a vessel requires, the romantic glam seems to fade with most.

Only until 2 years ago did I finally find a lady that had the same passion for the lifestyle and understanding that a boat is "a second wife" that needs to get 99.9 percent of the attention quite often...

You will have some great dates... You will find it easy to have alone time, but finding a long term relationship will take a little longer then if you were a land dweller (from my experience).

It all works out in the end as long as you follow your choice of land or sea !!!

Set your sails, and let the relationship find you !!!

Enjoy !!!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 11:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
Greetings, folks. I've been lurking on these forums for a number of months, doing as much reading and research online as I can. There is an amazing amount of knowledge contained within these forums, for which I am very grateful for everybody sharing.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the water because of my 6 years in the US Navy, and miss being at sea. So, I decided that my next adventure in life would be to join liveaboard cruising world. I recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest, and have started looking at boats for sale, and I take my first sailing class this Sunday.

My only question so far about the liveaboard lifestyle that I haven't found an answer to elsewhere is how the single sailors handle the dating scene. I'm 34 and am not quite the shy type. However, I have trepidations about the potential reactions when I say, "Well, you can come over, but I live in a tiny, cramped fiberglass box tied to a pier."

Anybody have any thoughts on this subject?

Thank you much!
-Jassen
What a great way to weed out the women with absolutely no sense of adventure, NOW..not later after a lot of broken promises..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 11:48   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

As long as its your FG box alone ..love in tight spaces does not work well with others!??did I say that right?...I lived on a small sailboat at Peanut island Fla. in 1984 with a fellow and it didnt take long for it to get uncomfortable when girls were brought on board for the night!..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 21:07   #66

You may have a small indoor space but you have the biggest backyard in the world! Find an outdoor girl-swimming, sunning, etc.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 21:23   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
As long as its your FG box alone ..love in tight spaces does not work well with others!??did I say that right?...I lived on a small sailboat at Peanut island Fla. in 1984 with a fellow and it didnt take long for it to get uncomfortable when girls were brought on board for the night!..DVC
Haha, never again will I share THAT tight of a space with somebody else. My hot racking days are long past.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 21:24   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
You may have a small indoor space but you have the biggest backyard in the world! Find an outdoor girl-swimming, sunning, etc.
Being from Colorado, I love myself the outdoor girls. The challenge has really been finding one with the permanent travel bug.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 22:31   #69

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
Being from Colorado, I love myself the outdoor girls. The challenge has really been finding one with the permanent travel bug.
I've found this has to do with having family in the area. A woman in an area with no family, or whose family is widely dispersed through the US, or better through the world is more likely IMO to have the bug.

Now this may sound odd, but I'm totally serious about this - what about a Russian dating site? Russian women are very outdoorsy (or so they claim), and the ones on the dating sites are LOOKING to leave the country, so uprooting is not a major problem for them. If you have an interest in sailing the Med or Black Sea, then you have the added advantage that you will not be taking them that far from home, and that they don't necessarily need any special visa to do the traveling (they may not see that as a "plus" though, if their goal is to become a US citizen)

Some of the sites are more "scammy" than others. I have never used any of them, but did have a passing interest in them at one time. I would start at "womenrussia.com" and go out from there. If you reach "Anastasia.com", turn around and go back - that is a dead end.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 23:12   #70

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The worst is all the hair they leave behind on the boat, especially when it's a different color than that of your current guest.

I've a couple of girls get annoyed when I keep unplugging their curling irons and such when they leave them in the heads. Don't burn my boat down!
Old 20-06-2012, 06:09   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I've found this has to do with having family in the area. A woman in an area with no family, or whose family is widely dispersed through the US, or better through the world is more likely IMO to have the bug.

Now this may sound odd, but I'm totally serious about this - what about a Russian dating site? Russian women are very outdoorsy (or so they claim), and the ones on the dating sites are LOOKING to leave the country, so uprooting is not a major problem for them. If you have an interest in sailing the Med or Black Sea, then you have the added advantage that you will not be taking them that far from home, and that they don't necessarily need any special visa to do the traveling (they may not see that as a "plus" though, if their goal is to become a US citizen)
Although I have not quite got into the position of going for round two (on the marriage thing) - am starting to mull over options......and whilst the Russian angle does not rock my boat I do think the internet approach must be the most useful way to meet potential partners. Simply on a numbers game - be honest with what you bring to the table and your future intentions will screen out most......but you only need one!

Whether that is from:

www.meet_a_woman_from_the_3rd world in exchange for cash.com

or

www.The_Forum_of_Knitting_for_single_women_in_Idah o.com

At the end of the day, the Internet is little more than a way to meet folks, and maybe with a bit of "foot in the door" thrown in ....what you / they do with that intro is the same as any other method. Internet just gives you a bigger search footprint.

Although not yet tested, I would be very surprised if there were not plenty of Women in the west who have SFA better to do than to give it a go on a boat headed off into the sunset.....although personally my eyes are heading back to the east........

.....but that all one for next year .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 06:41   #72

Boat: TBD

I'm married so I have not actually looked at this site. I'm not sure if anyone on here actually wants travel or just to have money thrown at them:

Miss Travel
hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 15:48   #73

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

I can't remember who said it, but some time ago here on CF, I read something regarding cruising and relationships that stuck with me. It was to the effect of:

"Cruising will see your relationship end up the same place it would have if you hadn't gone cruising; it will just end up there faster."
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:12   #74

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

When I was BLBW (between lives, between wives) I had a SeaRay named N.F.A. (no fixed abode)
I did alright
Old 21-06-2012, 22:09   #75

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
I'm married so I have not actually looked at this site. I'm not sure if anyone on here actually wants travel or just to have money thrown at them:

Miss Travel
I've seen similar sites - I made something of a hobby of this, although I've never actually subscribed to any of them.

These types of sites are basically pointed at women who want to be "spoiled" a little by a man they might be attracted to, but don't have a relationship with. Often younger women with a flair for an adventure and an open attitude toward sex, they're typically looking for a man who is fun, enjoys a woman's company, and is not a tightwad.

They're not necessarily looking for "money", but they are hoping to get a first class experience - nice hotels, good restaurants, fine liquors - not the bottom of a smelly sailboat, pasta-from-a-can, and a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Finest in a mesh bag hanging from the back of the boat. They might want a "little" spending money, they might be pros or semi-pros ("sugar-babys'), or they might really just be out for a little high-class (to them) fun.

There might be exceptions!

Russian women typically post that they like camping and being outdoors, no matter how glamorous they look in their photos - this admittedly makes me suspicious. More importantly, though, is that they are unanimously prepared to leave their country. Whether they will go for the smelly boat-raviolios-cheap beer crowd is another question, but if they have little to lose and no other offers at the time, maybe they'll give it a try.

"Normal" dating sites may have a few women like this, but they will be scarce and far between.

There is a site called Find-A-Crew that seems to be mainly populated by men looking for female companions, though they are typically obtuse about it. It's hard to tell who is looking for a crew, and who is looking for a screw!

This is not to say that the original poster is in that crowd, I'm just drawing a range. Most people looking for a date would fall somewhere in between, I'm sure.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard