Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 08:38   #106

Virginia boy nailed it IMHO. One person's junk is another's treasure.

Whatever floats your boat, no pun intended
Kahuna George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56   #107

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Liveaboard Dating

I doubt you'll have problems finding a gal who will join you on the boat - but tell me, a boat is your mistress -. she expects unflagging attention, lot's of trinkets and gadgets to keep her happy and she is a jealous lover, accepting no real competition.

Think you can find a girlfriend willing to play second fiddle?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34   #108

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

You must realise also that we male/female sailors are 'different' in our chosen lifestyle and it's not to everyones taste. there's lots of dockhoppers who wander round in a day dream, but faced with the reality of a cruising life virtually all will stay dockhoppers. I found in pursuing my dream I found others wishing to pursue theirs, so guys and gals have courage and move on to the next port, she may be waiting there ! Alternatively a few posts on here will maybe do the trick.
May the wind be always on your back and the sun shine on your face..
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16   #109

Boat: Boatless, but hope not for long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I doubt you'll have problems finding a gal who will join you on the boat - but tell me, a boat is your mistress -. she expects unflagging attention, lot's of trinkets and gadgets to keep her happy and she is a jealous lover, accepting no real competition.

Think you can find a girlfriend willing to play second fiddle?
Ha ha Carstenb! One of the first fellows I met after my ex and I (who had been liveaboards) split was "What happened? Couldn't the boat take the menage a trois?"
BuonVento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 00:29   #110

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Just to hammer the point home - my last boat was called "Amica" Italian for "that I love, my mistress, All that I love and other some such sentiments.

The only reason my wife and I are still married is that she loves boats also so I ends up laying second fiddle :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 15:58   #111

I don't see this as a problem at all, of course I'm a Fixed (nutered, spayed STERIL,) 29 yr old, Polyamorous & Non Monogamous, Travel Hungry, Adventrous Independant, Female. I would be so excited to chat a guy up in a bar who told me he lives on his boat! What a great conversation starter! However as stated above the women who reply here are very likely a biased crowd.
I use OK Cupid a lot with great results and though not designed for dating exclusively findacrew.net seems to function as such a site sometimes.
Miu Miu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 14:00   #112

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miu Miu View Post
.... I use OK Cupid a lot with great results and though not designed for dating exclusively findacrew.net seems to function as such a site sometimes.
At the risk of giving my own website a punt... The focus of my site, Desperate Sailors.com, is not dating, but there are several people on there that are looking for more than just crew or a boat. Do an advanced search for Travel Buddy (non-platonic) ~ sorry you do need to be logged in to do that. The good news is that membership is free.

Just to show that I am not biased, findacrew.net is just one many crew finder sites. Here is a more complete list:
Cruisersforum's very own crew finder: Crew Positions: Wanted & Available - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
My site: The ultimate cruising sailors website | Desperate Sailors
Do-It-Yourself Sailing & Cruising Database
The Float Plan Home Page
www.boatsandkit.com
Online Dating at LoveSail.com (pure dating)

Hope this helps.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:14   #113

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

p.s. that boats and kits link is wrong. Sorry. Try Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:45   #114

Boat: Catalina 30

I don't see what all the problem is...I go out and meet a nice lady...I bring her back to my boat...I tell her I live aboard...then ask her if she likes boats...she says "Yes...boats are nice...that'll be $30 please." then..."For $30 more... dollars I like you too." Dating is so simple for the simple minded and easily entertained.

Rust...the poor man's Locktite. (stolen...not used by permission)
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 04:32   #115

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

Jassen, you will not have too many problems finding potential cabin-mates - the local liveaboard guys here in the USVI's (unless they are truly weird...) seem to have a fair choice of attractive, sea-going ladies.

However, for a lady liveaboard the situation is a lot different - single again at the age of 63 (although still 23 in my head!) I only seem to meet the weirdos.......

Good luck and don't let the wrong woman trick you back to shore!!!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:16   #116

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Jeez
Gypsygal, I was single for nearly 25 years and when I met someone and mentioned living on a boat they either thought I was wired up to the moon, or curious and wanted an no expenses spared free weekend 'platonic of course until we know each other better'. As I wouldn't go with anyone married I thought I was destined to meet all the weirdo's, liars deviants and thieves so I sailed off into the sunset alone. Don't give up hope, don't let anyone mess you around either.
I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you find happiness as I eventually did..
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 15:10   #117
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you single sailors ho are not married, we dohave single sailors seeking soulmates social group you are able to join--is here on cf---come on into our lil flock if you desire to so do ..we dont bite--too hard, at least not on first date..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:37   #118

Boat: Laguna Windrose 26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Jassen, if you love boats enough to live on one, you have to look for women who share that passion. You won't find many who want to live on a boat -- I personally think I would have found it difficult while I was working -- but a woman who loves boating will understand your doing it. Don't expect someone looking for a husband and family to get it. They will want to know early on if you're willing to go back to land.

A lot of women in the age range you would be dating will be hoping to find that special someone to marry and have a family with.
I am one of the few that actually enjoys living on the boat. When my now fiance told me he lived on a boat, I was intrigued. I'm more of an adventure person who doesn't have many ties to land. As mentioned above finding a woman who loves boats as much as you is key.
LadyDeMize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 13:37   #119

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch

The dating will not be the issue. I have lived aboard two different boats for 9 years, never had a shortage of date possibilites, girlfriends, etc....the issue is going to arise when you get serious with that 'special' one. Unless you hook up with a sailorgirl, the nesting urge for that woman is going to require you to make a decision. The decision is going to be to live with her ashore or find a replacement. I am trying not to sound like a chauvinist, but my experience has been that the trips to the marina bathroom/facilities for laundry, make-up, hair drying, showering, personal needs, etc..especially in the winter are a little more taxing on the female than the male, especially in the winter. When mold decides to present itself, and her clothes smell like deisel, and she slips on the decks going to work in her high heels, they usually come unglued. The galley is too small, the knot on her head from the companionway grows daily, there is nowhere to put her clothes, why are your tools in that drawer, how come the toilet always smells......I think you get the point.

Nope, dating is not a problem. But what do you do after the date?
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 16:15   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
The dating will not be the issue. I have lived aboard two different boats for 9 years, never had a shortage of date possibilites, girlfriends, etc....the issue is going to arise when you get serious with that 'special' one. Unless you hook up with a sailorgirl, the nesting urge for that woman is going to require you to make a decision. The decision is going to be to live with her ashore or find a replacement. I am trying not to sound like a chauvinist, but my experience has been that the trips to the marina bathroom/facilities for laundry, make-up, hair drying, showering, personal needs, etc..especially in the winter are a little more taxing on the female than the male, especially in the winter. When mold decides to present itself, and her clothes smell like deisel, and she slips on the decks going to work in her high heels, they usually come unglued. The galley is too small, the knot on her head from the companionway grows daily, there is nowhere to put her clothes, why are your tools in that drawer, how come the toilet always smells......I think you get the point.

Nope, dating is not a problem. But what do you do after the date?

Is this where "Variety is the spice of life" saying starts applying?

Tags
liveaboard