Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is Texas good for Cruisng/Liveaboard?
What part of "Friendship" don't you get, son? 3 15.00%
You can all go to hell; I'm going to Texas 12 60.00%
Drive fast, let the Yankees freeze. 6 30.00%
Yes, it's great. 6 30.00%
Don't mess with Texas. 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-04-2021, 16:25   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Is Texas a good place to cruise/liveaboard?

Hi Folks,

Recently, I read about how Corpus Christi is a great place to live aboard. Looks really inexpensive compared to New England.

I'm an experienced cruiser who likes to gunkhole around, trying to decide where I'm going to live aboard when I cut loose in a year or two.

I have a few places in mind, including my home cruising grounds here in New England.

Who's cruised/lived aboard in Texas? Looking for informed opinions.

Any snags?

A glance at the NOAA 11300 and its subsidiaries suggests that there are lots of places a keel boat with a not-too-deep draft can go along that coast, to say nothing of access to Central and South America.

Looks like the oil derricks are more of a problem north and east of Galveston. I guess you go around them to get to Lousiana and Fla.

What are the ports like? How do people relate to cruisers? Are those bays really as cool and sailexplorable as they look on charts?

I'm looking for anecdotes, thread drift, recipes, supercilious put-downs, and expressions of frustration that the poll doesn't match the OP.

And anything else lighthearted. Even Kiel puns.

(And yes, that line in choice 3 was a bumper sticker I saw in Houston during the 1972 oil crisis. I'm not looking for a U.S. politics argument, but i accept that this may devolve into one.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.19.22 PM.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	236602  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, liveaboard, texas