Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2023, 20:06   #1

Boat: Regal 32 Express Cruiser
Winter cruising in Turkey?

I’ll be cruising the eastern med, mostly Turkey, next year with my wife and 8 yo son, on a 45-50ft cat. I’m trying to figure out my plans for that winter… and trying to avoid hunkering down in a marina for 5-6 months.

Does anyone have experience or point of view if it’s possible to continue cruising from marina to marina in various cities down the Turkish coast? I realize that it may not be the wisest choice to stay on anchor which is why I’m wondering if it’s feasible to stay in marinas or harbors instead.

Is the reason more people don’t do that because they don’t want to sail in the cold winter? Or because the marinas fill up so you can’t find a berth? Just curious why people choose to hunker down for the winter instead of keeping sailing. Maybe the marinas are too expensive if you don’t have a long stay previously booked?

How difficult is it to find a berth on the southern Turkish coast on short notice and stay for a few days or weeks?

I saw in another post that if you reserve a 1 yr stay at Setur marinas in Turkey, they allow you to stay at their other marinas under the same contract with no additional fee. In that scenario you could wait for the right weather window and move on down the road, no?

We’re only going to be sailing for 1 year… so we’re trying to explore the region as much as possible and the idea of spending half the year in one location is not ideal…

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!
davekram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Turkey, winter