Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2023, 04:48   #1

Anchor-out Liveaboards Status - Pinellas County, FL (St Pete)

I attended a Mayor/Commissioners meeting last night in Madeira Beach, FL which is located on the ICW in the St Petersburg area south of Clearwater Beach. Pinellas County Sheriff's dept spoke on enforcement efforts to clear long term anchor-outs huddled in several places.

The deputy described that they can only enforce infractions of live-aboard regulations (definition of "Live-aboard" below). Seems the definition of "Live-aboard" is easily obfuscated so 4-years of his time with the department, he and his team have been unable to do much about anchor-outs despite the City having passed a 72-hour restriction in 2019. He further described efforts to assure compiance with various marine laws such as properly installed MSD, but those requirements too are evaded by boat owners. As far as having 'an effective means of navigation' (propulsion), that can be a bit subjective - for centuries, boat used sails and oars. Finally, he distinguished "Live-aboard" from "Derelict" which means a boat that has not been occupied for 21-days or longer (no citation, I just gathered this from his description). Once a boat has been declared Derelict, it can be seized and removed.

In short, if you move a few feet every couple weeks and claim you have a land-based home, the Pinellas County Sheriff's dept will not force you to move. You may have other infractions - dang well better have an anchor light on at night, but you can pretty well hang out indefinitely.

Of course, interpretation may be different for other parts of Florida. But for this very popular 25-mile stretch of the ICW, that's the perspective of LEO right now.

Live-aboard vessel or live-aboard shall be defined by Florida Statutes § 327.02(22), as may be amended from time to time, which currently means: (a) A vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation; or (b) A vessel for which a declaration of domicile has been filed pursuant to
Florida Statutes § 222.17; or (c) A vessel used as a residence that does not have an effective means of propulsion for safe navigation. A commercial fishing vessel is expressly excluded from the term "live-aboard vessel" pursuant to Florida Statutes § 327.02(22) (2019) as may be
amended from time to time.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 05:26   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Anchor-out Liveaboards Status - Pinellas County, FL (St Pete)

The one thing about this stuff that I find very encouraging is the application of these laws.

Throughout Florida, the water cop enforcement people know exactly what they are doing. They know just when to apply these laws and when not to.

They know who is making trouble and they know who is being good.

From Miami Beach all the way to Tampa Bay, I have seen really outstanding examples of the application of these laws.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 07:37   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

mvweebles - how many are anchored typically in this area? Are they mostly long term or transient?
Old 29-06-2023, 07:50   #4

The main bridge from mainland to Madeira Beach is Welch Causeway (Tom Stuart). I'd guess there are 25-30 vessels anchored long term north of the bridge, aboit half are in madeira beach waters, the other half are in St Pete waters. Sheriff last night said none are derelict.

There are another 3-dozen or so south of the bridge which is St Pete waters. Last year, Pinellas County spent several hundred thousand dollars to sweep derelict vessels and they seem eager to keep them from re-establishing.

During public comments last night, someone said Treasure Island Yacht Club recently eliminated liveaboards which will obviously have the effect of increasing pressure on anchor outs.
Old 29-06-2023, 07:54   #5

thanks. The clubs and marinas banning liveaboards is becoming the problem. I don't get it. They could establish rules and enforce them to prevent the derelicts and shabby boats. Not doing that seems like they are taking the lazy easy out here.
Old 29-06-2023, 08:33   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
thanks. The clubs and marinas banning liveaboards is becoming the problem. I don't get it. They could establish rules and enforce them to prevent the derelicts and shabby boats. Not doing that seems like they are taking the lazy easy out here.
If they can keep the marina full without liveaboards, then why would they want to go through the hassle of potentially evicting a liveaboard?
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 08:43   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

This is really nothing new and is the way it has been this way a long time.

I don't think the city passing a 72 hour limit is enforceable at all in FL as only the State can do that. I think there is more to the State definition of liveabord than posted in post #1
Old 29-06-2023, 08:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This is really nothing new and is the way it has been this way a long time.

I don't think the city passing a 72 hour limit is enforceable at all in FL as only the State can do that. I think there is more to the State definition of liveabord than posted in post #1
There may be some case law, but verbiage in #1 is the definition in the Florida Statutes. Proving someone doesn't live somewherw else is possible but would take a lot of time and resources. As we all know, you're innocent until proven guilty so onus is on LEO to make the case.

Also, I tried to be careful in my words. This applies to Pinellas County. Sheriff here informs they have taken an aggressive stance on anchor-outs but their only enforcement is via infractions that pivot off definition of live-aboard. In four years, they have exactly zero live-aboard relayed violations. Possible other jurisdictions have a different approach.
Old 29-06-2023, 09:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
If they can keep the marina full without liveaboards, then why would they want to go through the hassle of potentially evicting a liveaboard?

Simply stated - good liveaboards always and I mean always take better care of their boats and the infrastructure than any "away" boater.
Old 29-06-2023, 09:26   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
In four years, they have exactly zero live-aboard relayed violations. Possible other jurisdictions have a different approach.
In various areas they manage to chase out boaters on anchor because the boaters just don't know the laws. Basically a harassment method that does nothing really to fix the problem of the derelict boats even even the eyesore boats.
Old 29-06-2023, 12:49   #11

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Simply stated - good liveaboards always and I mean always take better care of their boats and the infrastructure than any "away" boater.
I disagree....have seen lots of liveaboards in the marina who have boats that are little more than floating shacks, and they are frequently drunk. Have also seen good liveaboards.

Your absolutes are laughable.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 12:50   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I disagree....have seen lots of liveaboards in the marina who have boats that are little more than floating shacks, and they are frequently drunk. Have also seen good liveaboards.

Your absolutes are laughable.

He specifically mentioned good liveaboards. The ones you're describing are the not-good ones.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 12:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
He specifically mentioned good liveaboards. The ones you're describing are the not-good ones.

Exactly - and with rules enforcement this is a win-win IMO.
Old 29-06-2023, 13:08   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Good live aboards. It seems strange to us. Nearly all boats in these places are live aboard.

We only see derelict boats in Le Marin, Martinique and the French lagoon in St Martin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7AF8A36-E253-4EDD-8782-B479F66A2F0A.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	277484   Click image for larger version

Name:	189E329E-A7C7-4D22-8655-9B72CE3D3A1E.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	277485  

Click image for larger version

Name:	195A5E89-5261-455F-B026-6837E0414AC7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	277486  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:22   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Pray tell, why would a club or marina want to establish liveaboard rules and enforce them?

The rules would be contentious and violators would argue about them or evade them. Enforcement would require staff effort and inevitable hassle. All in all this is a no-win strategy for clubs and marinas.

And for what? Most yacht club members and I'd have to say, most weekend boaters, simply look down their noses at liveaboards and would be happy to see them gone. These groups of people are not going to go to bat to defend liveaboards.

Liveaboards are a minority which can easily be seen as undesirables.

Tags
anchor, liveaboard