Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 05:17   #31

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25
Nice advice. Some cash would be useful if you get tired of the boat and want to sleep in a real bed one or two days. Or may be some friend's home if you've got one around there.
And nice story about you, living aboard a 22' when you were younger.

thanks for sharing and best wishes
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 20:52   #32

Re: Is Living on a 20' Boat Possible ?

Hello. I have a similar question. I just bought a 1989 Sea Ray 220 da. I hope to transform it to a liveaboard. Space will be very tight but I think very doable. I am very excited about this potentiality. Please anyone with expertise or ideas in this regard I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you for any and all inside. Best, John

Email: jmy321@hotmail.com
jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 23:04   #33

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Honestly don't know if I replied to this already weeks ago but.... I don't see why not. I lived out of a VW bus for a year all over europe and it was a great great time. Living low and slow, paring down everything to the very essentials, has it's own pleasures. On a tiny boat, my specific thoughts would be:

1) Some form of very good to-shore transportation. Ie the best/biggest dinghy you can afford. In the bus, you could walk into town from a campsite, on the tiny boat, you'll be using coffee shops and parks as your extra space. Make sure you can get there under most conditions if you plan to anchor a lot.
2) Other poster's idea was good, have some cash to stay in a cheap air bnb from time to time to stretch your legs and see some different things, get a good shower, laundry, etc. In many places, you could allow yourself an airbnb once a week even. 30, 40 bucks. Makes laundry day much more fun, and you can squeeze in a pub crawl while you're at it!

Ah, I thought I had more points, but I guess the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Go for it!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:31   #34

Thanks a million for the suggestions. I envision I will mostly be docking at marinas, as such showers and stuff should be readily available. As an ex-African Peace Corps Volunteer the rough it part should be easy though my back can cause a problem.
My biggest quandary is how to outfit the boat. I suspect I will buy a bucket toilet and need to construct a small kitchen and entertainment unit. Space will be a challenge for gear and food stuffs. Any other thoughts? And, I have been looking for a tent unit to extend my deck space and protect from the elements. The tent has been tough to locate. I may have to construct something. Again, thanks to all for their insight. I have yet to locate pics of people that have already out-fitted their boat. The challenges are fun.
Best,
John
jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:45   #35

The Apreamare 24 is luxuriously comfortable with a shower/toilet, diesel generator and air conditioning, galley and spacious cockpit, I would really like to have one on the French canals but accessing the 28 knot speed would be totally forbidden. 5 knots is about the limit.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:46   #36

Boat: Moody, 33 MK1, 10mtrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by im1ru12 View Post
I'm planning on taking a break from the New England winter this year and heading south for 6 months. Is it reasonable to think I can live on a 20' sailboat full time? I'll be living on the hook and pursuing lots and lots of R&R.

met a Russian guy on a 12 footer, been living aboard for a couple of years sailing around the world.
The wife and I lived aboard a 23 footer for six months sailing Scotland.
It can be di=one and be comfortable to.
Dignity too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:49   #37

A small cruiser, i would guess 22 feet, called into Ascension Island for a broken arm to be set. 4 living on board and 3 years into a 5 year plan, to get to Ascension they will have had to sail 1000 miles open water minimum and only diverted from crossing from Africa to S America for the medical emergency!
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote