Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 18:23   #1

Newbie need advice about living on boat

Hello, I don't know how to sail yet. I am moving to Southern Calif from Atlanta, I'm single, self-employed and can work from anywhere there's internet access so I could live anywhere I want. Also have managed to get rid of most of my possessions.

So it suddenly occurred to me that instead of getting an apartment, I could move straight into a boat and live the way Quincy did. However, as I said I don't know how to sail. I have the cash but I would assume I should know how to sail---right?

So the next best thing would be rent someone's boat and try living on it for a while and then buy my dream boat when I am sure I like living on a boat and have taken some lessons.

But checking Craig's list, the pickings are slim. There's one guy who posted this same ad six times OPEN HOUSE, LIVE BY YOURSELF, IN PEACE, ON TOP OF THE WATER IN A BOAT but now says he doesn't know if the boat is available.

Does anyone know where I could find ads by people who want to rent out live-in-boat situations? Or is that a pretty rare thing anyway?

I'm focusing on Orange County right now, but open to other parts.

Any advice on my plans to get into sailing would be appreciated, including best, most economical way to try living on boat and learning to sail.

I'll get to LA on Wed and start looking for place to live.

thanks in advance.
polaatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 18:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Pol - why don't you look about in this forum (liveaboards) and I believe you'll find the answer.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 18:53   #3

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure some US based people will be able to help you find a boat. (I'm in Aus.)

I just thought I would point out that you don't need to know how to sail to live on a boat. For one thing, you could live on a powerboat. But getting sailing lessons is fairly easy anyway.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 18:57   #4

Thanks for your reply. Sailboat not powerboat is my dream. Hopefully, I'll get some good replies. I was a fool not to post sooner. It just occurred to me this afternoon to ask sailors to advice ---- duh!!
Old 03-06-2007, 19:05   #5

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaatx
Thanks for your reply. Sailboat not powerboat is my dream. Hopefully, I'll get some good replies. I was a fool not to post sooner. It just occurred to me this afternoon to ask sailors to advice ---- duh!!
Hi from Atlanta and welcome to this forum...I'd goto the local marinas once you get there and ask around. Once you get settled in to a boat then again...find yourself a crew position for club racing on the bay. In my opinion this is the quickest and easiest way to learn how to sail and sail well...how to get the best out of the wind and the sails...you will learn it quickly because you have to in a racing situation and it will teach you good sailing skills and procedure that you will keep forever...good luck with it!

Keep coming back to this forum as there is an unbelievable wealth of information and experience for you here!!

Michael
Old 03-06-2007, 19:14   #6

I started to reading the other threads and I'm thrilled to find such a close-knit, serious community. You guys really take live-aboarding seriously! I even saw terms like "escaping from the Matrix" which I totally understand. The Matrix is what I'm escaping! I got rid nearly all my possessions a few days ago as I was living Atlanta, even throwing perfectly good furniture right into the dump just for the pleasure of killing things that owned me for so long. I can't wait to read more of this forum. You guys sound a lot like my type of people, wanting to want to be simple and being close to nature and free to live for yourself--not to payoff mortgage.

I hope to God I find a live aboard situation quickly and not be forced to sign a damn lease for an apt and postpone my dream. Any offers out there would be seriously considered. I'm in Scottsdale AZ and will head for LA and Orange County midweek to stay at some hotel and start looking.
Old 03-06-2007, 19:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo
...I'd goto the local marinas once you get there and ask around. Once you get settled in to a boat then again...find yourself a crew position for club racing on the bay.
Hi Michael,

Okay, going to the local marina, that's for finding a live aboard situation, correct?

About finding crew position: why would anyone want someone with no sailing knowledge? All I know is a couple of afternoon classes I took in college many years ago and forgotten that too.
ali
Old 03-06-2007, 19:51   #8

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Hi Michael,

Okay, going to the local marina, that's for finding a live aboard situation, correct?

About finding crew position: why would anyone want someone with no sailing knowledge? All I know is a couple of afternoon classes I took in college many years ago and forgotten that too.
ali
Yes to asking at the local marina for a boat to rent...as for the second question...owners are always looking for RELIABLE crew...that means someone that is going to show up EVERY race for the season...they will not care if you don't know a thing as long as you show up EVERY time....you will learn about sailing in a pressure cooker competitive situation so you will learn fast. You will also make contacts that will last for ages and will be an immense help when you are ready to look for a boat...again...good luck!!
Old 03-06-2007, 20:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Does anyone know where I could find ads by people who want to rent out live-in-boat situations? Or is that a pretty rare thing anyway?
Seems like a rare thing but then again you only need one. I guess I would hang around a few marinas and get a feel for what goes on. Renting you a boat to live aboard is more like a caretaker situation than a rental situation. It costs a lot to pay for a boat slip plus insurance and expenses so you need to make things work both ways. People that have a boat for rent would expect a profit and I think at that point rent is not going to be cheap. Rents tend to decrease as you get farther away from the water. Even rent in Palmdale isn't cheap. Rents in Georgia are actually pretty darn cheap so expect the rates to be more than you are used to. You need to get a handle on prices on shore so you can compare it to the water. In the end it has to work for you or you won't like it.

It's not a bad idea but it is not without certain expenses too. Hanging out might let you find out more about the real possibilities.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 20:35   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Hello, I don't know how to sail yet. I am moving to Southern Calif from Atlanta, I'm single, self-employed and can work from anywhere there's internet access so I could live anywhere I want. Also have managed to get rid of most of my possessions.

So it suddenly occurred to me that instead of getting an apartment, I could move straight into a boat and live the way Quincy did. However, as I said I don't know how to sail. I have the cash but I would assume I should know how to sail---right?

So the next best thing would be rent someone's boat and try living on it for a while and then buy my dream boat when I am sure I like living on a boat and have taken some lessons.

I'm focusing on Orange County right now, but open to other parts.

Any advice on my plans to get into sailing would be appreciated, including best, most economical way to try living on boat and learning to sail.

I'll get to LA on Wed and start looking for place to live.
Yo Pol,

you must be prepared to have people tell you NO!

Most marinas restrict the number of liveaboards--if they allow it at all. And many of those who allow it apply a liveaboard surcharge, sometimes hundreds of dollars per month on top of the slip rent. Talk with the dockmasters to find out their rules regarding this use.

Before giving someone money for rent, make sure that it is legal for you to actually liveaboard in that anchorage.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 21:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"I hope to God I find a live aboard situation quickly and not be forced to sign a damn lease for an apt and postpone my dream."

This is not intended to sound sarcastic at all but don't sign a lease no matter what.

There are many motels in and around Orange County / Fullerton etc. My sister lived in one for 6 months (another story) and paid $240 /week. cable tv, wireless internet, fridge and microwave.

At the very least this will give you some idea of your constraints when living aboard except that in the motel you will have more space and a better bathroom.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 22:10   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

This is not intended to sound sarcastic at all but don't sign a lease no matter what.

There are many motels in and around Orange County / Fullerton etc. My sister lived in one for 6 months (another story) and paid $240 /week. cable tv, wireless internet, fridge and microwave.

At the very least this will give you some idea of your constraints when living aboard except that in the motel you will have more space and a better bathroom.
Yo Dan,

good advice. You must mean a long-term lease. Some sort of contract, even weekly, will most likely be required. Seems a short-term living accomodation will be unavoidable while a liveaboard boat/situation is secured.

To your great motel room example, "in the motel you will have more space and a better bathroom", I would add "maid service, heating/air conditioning, a place to hang your clothes, and nearby parking".

If a "legal" liveaboard situation can be found, how are its' amenities? Such as:
Clean showers with plenty of hot water.
Laundry.
Security.
Parking.

The boat will be required to possess a closed toilet system with holding tank. Are there adequate nearby facilities for pumpout?

There is published a Southern California "Where the Slips Are" brochure which has descriptions of facilities, and phone numbers for dockmasters. If the OP contacts me I'll see that he gets one.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 22:20   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"You must mean a long-term lease. Some sort of contract, even weekly, will most likely be required."

Not really a contract. My sister paid weekly but it literally was motel check in. Credit card on the counter - here's your key. Settle the bill weekly in arrears.

"I would add "maid service, heating/air conditioning, a place to hang your clothes, and nearby parking". "

You got my point exactly. I think it's excellent practice.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 21:17   #14

If you don't know how to sail you don't know how to care for a boat. learn first then you won't be destroying a thing of beauty and a scource of great joy for one who knows. I see to many boats floating arround abused or abandoned by their owners. each one a marvel of modern materials and design ever so slowly being reclaimed by Mother Nature.
lastconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 00:37   #15

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastconch
If you don't know how to sail you don't know how to care for a boat. learn first then you won't be destroying a thing of beauty and a scource of great joy for one who knows. I see to many boats floating arround abused or abandoned by their owners. each one a marvel of modern materials and design ever so slowly being reclaimed by Mother Nature.

Well i had never sailed when i bought my sail boat! i had owned and lived on large power boats though. i just bought it and sailed it the 200kms to the marina on my own. i only had half an hour lesson from the old owner. i have since sailed many many miles in the last couple of years. And i bet mine is better maintained then some of the folk who have been sailing for 20 yrs.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote