Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 12:40   #166

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The past 3 years I've gone up/down the whole US East Coast 3 times, the west side of Florida and into the Gulf of mexico to Mississippi, and I've been to the Bahamas. Now that's not really all that far as the world is a BIG place, but I can say:

There are free anchoring places all over if you chose to do so. If that's all you want to do then just do it instead of whining.
Here, here. Exactly.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 14:59   #167

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Unfortunately there are also people going on budget bunk charters without understanding that they will get a liveaboard experience rather than a a full service hotel vacation.
Even one's own family sometimes...
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 15:03   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Gotta love the free living up here in Newfoundland . Much more like how Dockhead describes the guest harbours. Nearly every semi-safe nook has a public wharf. And there is plenty of anchoring available, free of any rules, regulations or people bothering you.
Sounds dreamy. But what about fog, and tides?
Old 18-08-2019, 15:05   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
For those of you living the (awesome) anchoring lifestyle, what is your monthly budget? I figure it's just the repairs/maintenance/food/emergency issues if you have a self sufficient boat. I'm looking into getting a sailing catamaran, rice and beans, do all the repairs myself, fishing, and avoiding marinas as much as possible. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!
<usd1k/month so far
Old 18-08-2019, 15:13   #170

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Seems to me the broader point in connection with small charters is the apparent growth of rules and regulations around the whole cruising/liveaboard lifestyle. This certainly seems to be the case just about everywhere that is densely populated, and/or where tourists throng.

Gotta love the free living up here in Newfoundland . Much more like how Dockhead describes the guest harbours. Nearly every semi-safe nook has a public wharf. And there is plenty of anchoring available, free of any rules, regulations or people bothering you.
Unfortunately, not free of snow. I've had icicles in my shower. Didn't like it.
Old 18-08-2019, 15:54   #171

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Unfortunately, not free of snow. I've had icicles in my shower. Didn't like it.

It's winter up here during the winter months for sure. And sometimes it can get rather cool. But most days are moderate and pleasant during prime sailing season. And never a need for A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
Sounds dreamy. But what about fog, and tides?

Tides are rarely more than three or four feet. Tidal currents are a challenge at times, but simple planning is all that's required. Fog can be an issue, but radar and loose schedules manage that.
Old 18-08-2019, 16:59   #172
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ah Newfoundland.

It’s why we have 2 boats. One here, with >$1,000/YEAR storage fees and one in the Caribbean. No AC, and no heat!

The only problem is summer is my winter and I’m eternally confused. Especially about which side of the road to drive on and just forget about what time it is if it ain’t here!! LOL ��
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 21:52   #173

Boat: Hunter 40 Legend
Send a message via AIM to Capt.Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hookah for bottom work.

Two watermakers

Tankage for 525 gallons of diesel

Solar arrays

12.5kw genset

New sails

Tankage for 375 gallons of fresh water

Haul out one per year at the end of the six to eight month season for hard storage

Need I continue???

The boats never enter or pay for marina services, are very well-maintained and we are extremely comfortable spending only 15-20 euros per day including eating out several times per week.
How big is your boat ? How much did it cost ? How old is it ?
Just a guess but.... is you boat a mono hull over 50' ? That's a lot of heavy, expensive stuff .... are we talking over $500,000 boat ? Do you have a crew on board doing this maintenance for you ?
With fuel tanks that size I hope you are using all that diesel or it will bacteria up on you... first heavy sea and your filters will clog up...
You generator can output approximately 50 ramps at 220volts so you might have an electric stove, refrigerator, air conditioning, washer/dryer ...etc.... that's not a liveaboard, its a luxury liner...
If the boat is only in the water six to eight months a year, not really a liveaboard either for that reason either...
How much does it cost to haul, store, service all the systems, pressure wash the bottom, paint the bottom, wrap it in plastic... need I go on...
I'm not picking on you, just pointing out to the initiator of this thread that there are many hidden costs and that this boat is probably more of a vacation home than a liveaboard....so, don't use this example as ... oh it's easy to never go to a marina....

I've lived aboard for long periods on sailboats with out the luxury of solar power generation or a generator. We ran the engine to keep the batteries up for the refrigerator and for hot water so I am confident, with solar, life would be a lot easier...
The idea here is to anchor out, be semi self sufficient and not have to pay dock slip, morning or electric fees... Its not a crime to pull into marina for water, fuel or food...

The cruiser life to me means you eventually need to cruise. Otherwise you're a livaboard... Not bad, just a different classification. Cruisers see other harbors, maybe just one coast or the whole world. For me, the Bahamas, Canada, Bermuda, and some of the Caribbean islands are ok but I have no interest cruising outside the USA... The world has gotten small and dangerous with many hands trying to take a piece of your pie.... There are fewer places to anchor without a hassle...
Enjoy your cruising..... with reservations.... Understand your limitations carry lots of extra filters, and wear sun block.
Capt.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 00:22   #174

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
With fuel tanks that size I hope you are using all that diesel or it will bacteria up on you... first heavy sea and your filters will clog up... .
What a load of BS
Quote:
You generator can output approximately 50 (r)amps at 220volts
Followed by some more
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 00:49   #175

What a screwed up definition of "liveaboad". In who's dictionary does it say that living aboard a boat MEANS compromise. In who's dictionary does it say you have to be self-sufficient to be a liveaboard? Yes some people like to live on less, use less, compromise but that's their choice.

If someone wants all the comforts of a land home but on a boat then that's their choice also. If they want a great big honking genset to power all their creature comforts then that's fine. They are still a liveaboard.

Anyone who moves from the land to a boat and lives on board is great in my books, whether it's a low tech, self sufficient, no creature comforts , or an all electric, AC, hot shower everyday luxury boat.

On and by the way - 1,200 litres of diesel in the tanks and never had a problem with them.

Quote:
Just a guess but.... is you boat a mono hull over 50' ? That's a lot of heavy, expensive stuff .... are we talking over $500,000 boat ? Do you have a crew on board doing this maintenance for you ?
With fuel tanks that size I hope you are using all that diesel or it will bacteria up on you... first heavy sea and your filters will clog up...
You generator can output approximately 50 ramps at 220volts so you might have an electric stove, refrigerator, air conditioning, washer/dryer ...etc.... that's not a liveaboard, its a luxury liner...
If the boat is only in the water six to eight months a year, not really a liveaboard either for that reason either...
How much does it cost to haul, store, service all the systems, pressure wash the bottom, paint the bottom, wrap it in plastic... need I go on...
I'm not picking on you, just pointing out to the initiator of this thread that there are many hidden costs and that this boat is probably more of a vacation home than a liveaboard....so, don't use this example as ... oh it's easy to never go to a marina....

I've lived aboard for long periods on sailboats with out the luxury of solar power generation or a generator. We ran the engine to keep the batteries up for the refrigerator and for hot water so I am confident, with solar, life would be a lot easier...
The idea here is to anchor out, be semi self sufficient and not have to pay dock slip, morning or electric fees... Its not a crime to pull into marina for water, fuel or food...

The cruiser life to me means you eventually need to cruise. Otherwise you're a livaboard... Not bad, just a different classification. Cruisers see other harbors, maybe just one coast or the whole world. For me, the Bahamas, Canada, Bermuda, and some of the Caribbean islands are ok but I have no interest cruising outside the USA... The world has gotten small and dangerous with many hands trying to take a piece of your pie.... There are fewer places to anchor without a hassle...
Enjoy your cruising..... with reservations.... Understand your limitations carry lots of extra filters, and wear sun block.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:06   #176

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Among the improvements we made in our initial refit, we did a fuel polishing system.

I'll save the long story about exactly why, but, using it, over 2000 hours later, we have yet to change a Racor. $500 and a couple hours of labor. We run it any time we run the engine, and any time it's particularly rolly (the better to wash off the walls of the tank, should there be any junk) while sailing. We've changed our serially mounted 30/10 micron filters a total of 3 times in that period, the first two after violent half-tank sloshing probably polished the tank walls.

Not to the thread, but a good investment for those relying on aux propulsion (and for that matter a genset)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:05   #177
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Among the improvements we made in our initial refit, we did a fuel polishing system.

I'll save the long story about exactly why, but, using it, over 2000 hours later, we have yet to change a Racor. $500 and a couple hours of labor.
Meanwhile in 2000 hours I've changed the filter in my Racor and on the engine twice - $80 and 30 minutes of labor

just saying as this has nothing to do with the topic
Old 19-08-2019, 06:14   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
What a screwed up definition of "liveaboad". In who's dictionary does it say that living aboard a boat MEANS compromise. In who's dictionary does it say you have to be self-sufficient to be a liveaboard? Yes some people like to live on less, use less, compromise but that's their choice.

If someone wants all the comforts of a land home but on a boat then that's their choice also. If they want a great big honking genset to power all their creature comforts then that's fine. They are still a liveaboard.

Anyone who moves from the land to a boat and lives on board is great in my books, whether it's a low tech, self sufficient, no creature comforts , or an all electric, AC, hot shower everyday luxury boat.

On and by the way - 1,200 litres of diesel in the tanks and never had a problem with them.
Assuming you are addressing me but not sure since I was not mentioned...
I was making a distinction between cruising and liveaboard ... mostly asking someone who stated they were a "self sufficient " liveaboard when the boat is only in the water 6 to 8 months a year and it appears this person has a large boat, maybe with crew, and never mentioning how long he is actually on the boat. I would consider that a vacation home under those circumstances and precisely why I put "?" After my statements about the boats accoutrements.
I was not talking, at all, about someone not being a liveaboard because the size of their wallet.
Not in the scope at all...
Old 19-08-2019, 06:17   #179
cruiser

Quote:

Please do a forum search on fuel polishing systems.

Here’s one I started about the installation of ours: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-132030.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:24   #180

Fuel Polishing system sounds great ! Not going to talk about the boats I delivered where the owners said ther fuel was clean and after 1 day in heaven seas out of the tropics, the fuel lines were sucked flat... one boat we pulled two 55 gallon drums of bacteria out of the 3 tanks and went through 12 Racore filters, the big ones...
Tough to keep bacteria down in the tropics...

Tags
liveaboard