Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 03:08   #241

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My therapist sister-in-law would beg to differ [emoji3].
Therapists usually become therapists because they are messed up worse than their clients. So maybe not the best judge of sanity.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06   #242

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I liveaboard (and cruise) for about 1/2 of each year. I have no land home. My boat is my only home, but due to a thing called Newfoundland winters, I don't liveaboard for 12 months.

So… what does that make me?

(not that I really care … I is what I is ).
I'd say smart! I think that sort of balance is great, always something to look forward to. My problem is I worry about leaving the boat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:29   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Newfie vs Newfoundlander

I don’t get that, I have met folks who find it offensive, but I think that’s because the true Newfie spirit is being diluted from mainland exposure.

I grew up in southern rural NJ where the appellation was “Piney”, someone from the Pine barrens, as opposed to a “Sand Flea”, someone from the barrier island, although “piney” is better known. I’ve taken Piney and Newfie both as marks of heritage and pride.

In general its funny how folks have become so sensitive and politically correct when I know others who spit after saying either Democrat or Republican.

Anyway, it’s my sense that it is a few vocal folks who take offense too gladly who have made others over sensitive.

Sticks and stones and all that.

Here’s one for ya bey,

How do you tell the Newfoundlander’s in heaven?

They are the ones who want to go home.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50   #244

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Those are some great winter diversions! I've found variety to be the spice of life too. I had lived aboard, traveling, snowbirding, wintering over. But opening yourself up to more than just being on the boat is absolutely delightful. I'd rather be able to say I motorcycled around the continent than to say I'm a "liveaboard" by whatever definition we find on the forum today.
Agreed . It’s really been working out for us so far. Not that I’d be opposed to staying on board year round … I’m sure we’ll give that a try eventually. But that will likely mean having to sail south, and I’m not good with crowds, or with heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Therapists usually become therapists because they are messed up worse than their clients. So maybe not the best judge of sanity.
I’ll tell her that … in fact, I do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'd say smart! I think that sort of balance is great, always something to look forward to. My problem is I worry about leaving the boat.
Yes, leaving the boat is a worry. It’s hard being so far away that when something goes wrong there’s really nothing I can do.

Since starting on this cruising life we’ve always had to leave the boat many thousands of km from where we usually are over winter. There’s always been a new fast friend who volunteers to keep an eye on it, but I never expect them to do much. A couple of times we’ve got the message that our winter cover has torn, but so far that’s been the worst event.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:55   #245
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I hope and think you will find Lewisporte different. Meet Peter and Ivan, no big trick, you can’t avoid them.!
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04   #246

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Newfie vs Newfoundlander

I don’t get that, I have met folks who find it offensive, but I think that’s because the true Newfie spirit is being diluted from mainland exposure.

Anyway, it’s my sense that it is a few vocal folks who take offense too gladly who have made others over sensitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And thanks. I was trying to be funny. But trying to also poke the slightest bit of fun too. Was hoping Newfie was just the right balance. Not really offensive, but not exactly the right word either. Joke may have gone over better in Toronto or Montreal. Ha ha
No offence taken Chotu. It’s just something I’ve learned since coming to The Rock (which apparently is another term some Newfoundlanders don’t like either ).

My father was a Newfoundlander. He was proud to be called a Newfie. But I’ve definitely heard, in the gentlest of terms (because Newfoundlanders are the kindest of people) that many now consider “Newfie” to be slightly offensive. Maybe it’s even a regional thing because Newfoundland is quite different from region to region. I’ve been over on the west side these past few seasons.

Howard, my sense is that the older generations don’t mind the term, but the younger ones do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Here’s one for ya bey,

How do you tell the Newfoundlander’s in heaven?

They are the ones who want to go home.
So true… it’s rather infectious, wouldn’t you say . See you soon.

Tags
liveaboard