Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 03:08   #241
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Key West, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 868
Images: 1
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My therapist sister-in-law would beg to differ .
Therapists usually become therapists because they are messed up worse than their clients. So maybe not the best judge of sanity.
__________________
S/V Pomaika'i Blog
dwedeking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06   #242
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,758
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I liveaboard (and cruise) for about 1/2 of each year. I have no land home. My boat is my only home, but due to a thing called Newfoundland winters, I don't liveaboard for 12 months.

SoÖ what does that make me?

(not that I really care Ö I is what I is ).
I'd say smart! I think that sort of balance is great, always something to look forward to. My problem is I worry about leaving the boat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:29   #243
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,793
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Newfie vs Newfoundlander

I don’t get that, I have met folks who find it offensive, but I think that’s because the true Newfie spirit is being diluted from mainland exposure.

I grew up in southern rural NJ where the appellation was “Piney”, someone from the Pine barrens, as opposed to a “Sand Flea”, someone from the barrier island, although “piney” is better known. I’ve taken Piney and Newfie both as marks of heritage and pride.

In general its funny how folks have become so sensitive and politically correct when I know others who spit after saying either Democrat or Republican.

Anyway, it’s my sense that it is a few vocal folks who take offense too gladly who have made others over sensitive.

Sticks and stones and all that.

Here’s one for ya bey,

How do you tell the Newfoundlander’s in heaven?

They are the ones who want to go home.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50   #244
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Those are some great winter diversions! I've found variety to be the spice of life too. I had lived aboard, traveling, snowbirding, wintering over. But opening yourself up to more than just being on the boat is absolutely delightful. I'd rather be able to say I motorcycled around the continent than to say I'm a "liveaboard" by whatever definition we find on the forum today.
Agreed . It’s really been working out for us so far. Not that I’d be opposed to staying on board year round … I’m sure we’ll give that a try eventually. But that will likely mean having to sail south, and I’m not good with crowds, or with heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Therapists usually become therapists because they are messed up worse than their clients. So maybe not the best judge of sanity.
I’ll tell her that … in fact, I do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'd say smart! I think that sort of balance is great, always something to look forward to. My problem is I worry about leaving the boat.
Yes, leaving the boat is a worry. It’s hard being so far away that when something goes wrong there’s really nothing I can do.

Since starting on this cruising life we’ve always had to leave the boat many thousands of km from where we usually are over winter. There’s always been a new fast friend who volunteers to keep an eye on it, but I never expect them to do much. A couple of times we’ve got the message that our winter cover has torn, but so far that’s been the worst event.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:55   #245
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,793
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

I hope and think you will find Lewisporte different. Meet Peter and Ivan, no big trick, you canít avoid them.!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04   #246
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Newfie vs Newfoundlander

I donít get that, I have met folks who find it offensive, but I think thatís because the true Newfie spirit is being diluted from mainland exposure.
Ö
Anyway, itís my sense that it is a few vocal folks who take offense too gladly who have made others over sensitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And thanks. I was trying to be funny. But trying to also poke the slightest bit of fun too. Was hoping Newfie was just the right balance. Not really offensive, but not exactly the right word either. Joke may have gone over better in Toronto or Montreal. Ha ha
No offence taken Chotu. Itís just something Iíve learned since coming to The Rock (which apparently is another term some Newfoundlanders donít like either ).

My father was a Newfoundlander. He was proud to be called a Newfie. But Iíve definitely heard, in the gentlest of terms (because Newfoundlanders are the kindest of people) that many now consider ďNewfieĒ to be slightly offensive. Maybe itís even a regional thing because Newfoundland is quite different from region to region. Iíve been over on the west side these past few seasons.

Howard, my sense is that the older generations donít mind the term, but the younger ones do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Hereís one for ya bey,

How do you tell the Newfoundlanderís in heaven?

They are the ones who want to go home.
So trueÖ itís rather infectious, wouldnít you say . See you soon.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle resoluute Liveaboard's Forum 51 26-01-2019 10:37
Is the Cruising Lifestyle Dying ? Dudeman General Sailing Forum 164 11-01-2013 07:32
Transitioning to a 'Liveaboard' Lifestyle Matthewm0311 Liveaboard's Forum 47 25-09-2009 13:41

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.