Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 00:19   #151
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

[QUOTE=pbmaise;2956359]I include my "rant" here as I view the paying guest to have been one of the major sources of revenue that used to enabled many extended cruisers. /QUOTE]

Interesting point pb.

Many here criticise the UTUBE Bloggers with their Patreon requests as a form of begging.

Others just love it and support them.
Perhaps the new charter market prefers to sail "virtually" [emoji20]

The first boat I bought when I was 21 could only be sustained by doing dive charters and I struggled.
Luckily the marina where I was drydocked set the wooden boat on fire and I managed to get out of it!
Key lesson learned was that it was better to captain other peoples charter boats and get paid for it.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 02:54   #152

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Somewhat shocked at all the talk of illegal charters I'm seeing on this board in the last couple days.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 02:58   #153
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Somewhat shocked at all the talk of illegal charters I'm seeing on this board in the last couple days.
I think that was pb point
It used to be ok for a sailor to bring on paying guests to help with costs.
Nowadays, every PC person, sits at their keyboard and gets shocked!

Less Rules.... Rule[emoji106]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 03:11   #154

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Exactly. Few fearing for their own benefit point fingers at others.

I'm not against regulating big scale commercial charters, but to punish the single cruiser who takes once in a while someone on a bunk to help with running costs is just ridiculous.

We live in overrgulated times where states feel the need to protect adult people non stop from themselves. Unfortunately plenty of lawyers make a living out of this.

Unfortunately there are also people going on budget bunk charters without understanding that they will get a liveaboard experience rather than a a full service hotel vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Old 18-08-2019, 04:50   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I've been away from land for about 4 months now on this particular trip and have spent more nights sleeping at anchor than in a house im my life. Hardly sitting at my keyboard. I'm on a phone right now posting. From my boat. At anchor. Pulling the anchor and getting underway as soon as the fog burns off a bit.

What I'm shocked at is that as someone who provided legal charters on a small boat and who has complied with all the BS over regulation (some of it warranted because plenty of people die due to bad boats/captains), I am not well enough protected from these rogue illegal charters.

It's basically like the citizenship/immigrant debate.

If I immigrate somewhere and spend years, hours and thousands of dollars to do it legally, I'm going to be shocked when some mofo jumps a fence and gets the same things I worked my ass off for.

So yeah. I'm shocked.
Old 18-08-2019, 05:27   #156

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

This is a fascinating discussion. Reminds of the age old discussion about being a 'traveler vs a tourist" Traveling is somehow better and invokes images of backpacking and communing with the locals. Being a tourist is in contrast...BAD and that invokes images of cruising on a big f%$k off ship and being herded onto a bus.
I say--call yourself whatever you want, live your life however you want.
If you want to live like its 1922 on your boat with no modern conveniences--have at er! It doesnt make you tougher or smarter or a better person.
If you want to live on a 56 ft boat with all the modern stuff--even a washing machine...ok, so go do that...doesnt make you a tougher or smarter or better person.
To the OP...not sure why it matters? If you want to do it--do it!!
Over time, you will find whatever version works for you.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 06:39   #157

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

While some with fairly new boats have a fairly easy path to charter out some bunks others amongst us, with older boats without shitloads of money get regulated out of the game.

Coincidentally it's the guys with the newer boats making much more money from it and complaining later about mom and dad when they charter out a bunk on the odd occasion.

I am not against some regulation, but a lot is way over the top and some guys seem to like it most to make sure no-one else has a chance to have a small bite of the same cake.

Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I've been away from land for about 4 months now on this particular trip and have spent more nights sleeping at anchor than in a house im my life. Hardly sitting at my keyboard. I'm on a phone right now posting. From my boat. At anchor. Pulling the anchor and getting underway as soon as the fog burns off a bit.

What I'm shocked at is that as someone who provided legal charters on a small boat and who has complied with all the BS over regulation (some of it warranted because plenty of people die due to bad boats/captains), I am not well enough protected from these rogue illegal charters.

It's basically like the citizenship/immigrant debate.

If I immigrate somewhere and spend years, hours and thousands of dollars to do it legally, I'm going to be shocked when some mofo jumps a fence and gets the same things I worked my ass off for.

So yeah. I'm shocked.
Old 18-08-2019, 06:43   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Exactly. Few fearing for their own benefit point fingers at others.

I'm not against regulating big scale commercial charters, but to punish the single cruiser who takes once in a while someone on a bunk to help with running costs is just ridiculous.

We live in overrgulated times where states feel the need to protect adult people non stop from themselves. Unfortunately plenty of lawyers make a living out of this.

Unfortunately there are also people going on budget bunk charters without understanding that they will get a liveaboard experience rather than a a full service hotel vacation.
No whining? Do you have a mirror aboard?

Take a look in it.
Old 18-08-2019, 06:51   #159

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not all harbors are alike.

I agree with you about the U.S. style marinas which are just big floating RV parks.

But I love Northern European guest harbors, town quays, fishing harbors. I love the ancient town quays in the Greek and Turkish islands. I love taking a shower, putting on clean clothes, and going to a nice restaurant once in a while, and I love exploring some of these places by land. You meet interesting people in some of these places, too. Solitude all the time is boring for some people, like me.

I don't have any particular preference for anchoring or using a harbor; not all anchorages are as cool as others, nor is every harbor necessarily good or bad. An ideal cruise for me contains a mix of anchoring in beautiful spots, and tying up in nice harbors.
Yep!! me too.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 07:14   #160

Boat: Rafiki 37

Seems to me the broader point in connection with small charters is the apparent growth of rules and regulations around the whole cruising/liveaboard lifestyle. This certainly seems to be the case just about everywhere that is densely populated, and/or where tourists throng.

Gotta love the free living up here in Newfoundland . Much more like how Dockhead describes the guest harbours. Nearly every semi-safe nook has a public wharf. And there is plenty of anchoring available, free of any rules, regulations or people bothering you.
Old 18-08-2019, 07:36   #161

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Be it a dying lifestyle or not, be it temporary or for the longhaul, what others do or don't, does not measure up to what it means to me.

For me it is a (costly) escape from which was my previous line of existence.

Affordability is a concern. Commercialization is a huge concern. Environmental protection is a necessary evil.

Storms and inclement weather I wish I could go without.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to experience, not just living onboard, but the travel opportunities embedded.

And herein lies the challenge: let's be responsible sailors, because malicious acts of others tightens the noose around this escape.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 07:40   #162
CLOD

Boat: none

The past 3 years I've gone up/down the whole US East Coast 3 times, the west side of Florida and into the Gulf of mexico to Mississippi, and I've been to the Bahamas. Now that's not really all that far as the world is a BIG place, but I can say:

There are free anchoring places all over if you chose to do so. If that's all you want to do then just do it instead of whining.
Old 18-08-2019, 11:27   #163

For those of you living the (awesome) anchoring lifestyle, what is your monthly budget? I figure it's just the repairs/maintenance/food/emergency issues if you have a self sufficient boat. I'm looking into getting a sailing catamaran, rice and beans, do all the repairs myself, fishing, and avoiding marinas as much as possible. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 12:01   #164
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
For those of you living the (awesome) anchoring lifestyle, what is your monthly budget? I figure it's just the repairs/maintenance/food/emergency issues if you have a self sufficient boat. I'm looking into getting a sailing catamaran, rice and beans, do all the repairs myself, fishing, and avoiding marinas as much as possible. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

4 Years of Cruising/Anchoring with a family of 4.
No Marinas but eating out all the time in Mexico, including boat insurance payment ($80K hull value) and we averaged $1400/Mo. Could we have shaved off $400 and got it below $1000/mo? Maybe but we didn't have to and if there is ONE IMPORTANT Reality of a monthly Cruising Budget.....it is this!
You will Spend what you have to spend.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 12:29   #165

Best post I've seen all day on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
Be it a dying lifestyle or not, be it temporary or for the longhaul, what others do or don't, does not measure up to what it means to me.

For me it is a (costly) escape from which was my previous line of existence.

Affordability is a concern. Commercialization is a huge concern. Environmental protection is a necessary evil.

Storms and inclement weather I wish I could go without.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to experience, not just living onboard, but the travel opportunities embedded.

And herein lies the challenge: let's be responsible sailors, because malicious acts of others tightens the noose around this escape.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard