Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2017, 16:21   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Is it possible to pay off debt while sailing?

Here is my situation, outsiders looking in see me having a decent life. I have a house, some debt, but nothing compared to most people in America. I recently bought a sailboat, and i don't just love it, I want to make it my life. I had plans to join the military flying but those fell through so, I want to make a living off sailing now. So the big question I have is, is it possible to make around 40k a year doing it. I can and will be willing to survive off way less eventually, but I am curious if I can jump start my sailing career before paying off my debt, by crewing. I'm already working towards my Captains licence, but I want to invest my full time effort into this, and I am dieing for a career change that lands me outside the office. I figure with 40k, it be tough scrapping by but I would pay off my debt in less than 3 years. Also need to figure in health care and a dental plan. Im sort of down in the dumps, cause all the sailing blogs out there seem to keep their journey funded via youtube. I don't really want to have that be a necessity in my life. I apologies for not having proof read this post, Im just down and out because My friends are distancing themselves from me, and some of my family are actively making the switch to this career/lifestyle tougher.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing