Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 16:19   #31

Boat: Byliner 3258
Re: Is it possible to pay off debt while sailing?

You go through life once. When you reach the end do you want to say used to sail, didn't do much, didn't have money! Work and Travel don't mix easily. Its hard to find work around the docks that pays good. Living transient has its benefits, but you need cash and some type of security if you get sick or hurt. You need to find a business that doesn't keep you tied to a desk and chained to associated cost i.e. car, gas, insurances, lunches, business clothing etc. You need to be your own boss. There are some interesting projects that can make you money, but they can also tie you to the dock, in this case you might as well stay at your present job. I have found something that may interest you drop me a line howardberry236@gmail.com
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 17:28   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Can you make $40K a year while cruising full time? Probably not.

Can you make $40K a year while working in some aspect of the marine industry? Absolutely, but this means you are working most of the time not cruising. Of course, getting paid to go sailing aint a bad gig.

Can you make $40K a year with no relevant experience, licenses, or certifications? Err...no.

My suggestion: get involved in sailing, build experience, get certs/licences, pay down your debt, then go looking for paying gigs.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Short, sweet and to the point.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:25   #33

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

I'm sorry Wind, please don't be offended. When your post headline scrolled across my screen I broke out laffing hysterically. I have tears in my eyes still. Lots of good advice here, but after our first year living aboard, the idea of "paying off debt" and living on a boat just strikes me as. . .
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 07:53   #34

Boat: PT-11

This is a common question on CF. If you really want to go cruising, the basic answer is to get out of debt any way you can and then save every penny. IMO anything else is dreaming.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:30   #35

Boat: Pearson 10M

One point, assuming that you can generate $40k or whatever amount you need to sustain your living expenses, how will you fund retirement? I know you are young now, but that will not always be the case. It is unlikely that you will be able to put away nearly enough for the times ahead. I see way to many with way to little who cannot reasonably earn a living in their later years.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:48   #36

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The only way you can make money- 40K or otherwise- in boating is to have a skill and work your butt off. I met a skipper who runs daysail trips out of Lahaina, working all day/night, 6+ days/week, and he had all sorts of qualifications- Master, 250ton etc. I doubt he makes $50k/year.

So the only way to pay off debt while sailing is to work your tail off, in which case you won't be sailing your boat and drinking beer.

You can walk away from debt, but I'm not recommending it.

Technically, you don't need money. The Polynesians cruised all over the place without money. Fish are free, so is the wind. What else do you need? But be forewarned that many places don't care for cashless boatbums looking for free help and handouts.

If you have a marketable skill, you can sail the world working part time here and there- I know people who do just that. BUT they all have unique skillsets.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:49   #37

Don't listen to naysayers about how you want to live your life. Advice on how to accomplish your goals (such as from people on this forum, least of all me) is what you need to look for. Not reasons why you can't or shouldn't. I have been boatless for a few years now but a 30ft sailboat was my first home on my own. Never had any experience before that. First thing I did was run it aground. For the first couple of years every outing was an "adventure." Even just getting to the fuel dock. I'm not saying you should go into this blind like I did. I'm just trying to serve an example for: if it's what you want then nothing can stop you. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the money thing though. Good luck!
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 17:15   #38

Just out of interest tho I am not considering it seriously as I can make the " nest egg " from well paid contract work , what is the general opinion on getting / picking up welding work in the cruiser / marine world , fully lloyds certificated in most aspects f welding , mild steel , stainless , aluminium ( and many more which are not common in the yachting world ) Uk Euro based
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Just out of interest tho I am not considering it seriously as I can make the " nest egg " from well paid contract work , what is the general opinion on getting / picking up welding work in the cruiser / marine world , fully lloyds certificated in most aspects f welding , mild steel , stainless , aluminium ( and many more which are not common in the yachting world ) Uk Euro based
There's a few custom marine stainless shops in our area (Canada) that always seem busy, making cockpit arches, custom pulpits, doing modifications and repairs, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:55   #40

Boat: Sabre 34

I would offer a different angle to consider. Happened to me when I was really into racing motorbikes as a hobby. Working as a graphic designer / photographer payed my bills. Bikes were for fun. I picked up a few freelance jobs for a friend in the bike business. How cool was that, so I thought. Photograph leather suites, full exhaust systems, race bikes... got to hang out at the cool race shop all the time. Made their catalogs, website... etc. Not long, and I realized that my very awesome hobby became my job, and I stopped enjoying riding bikes the way I used to.

Moral of the story, sometimes hobbies and stuff you love to do need to stay just that.

Your mileage may vary.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 03:53   #41

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Your probably fine in the pre-BREXIT EU. Elsewhere you may be seen as a foreigner looking to steal work from the locals and maybe evading taxes as well. You might be OK in the US but you better make sure you learn and comply with local regulations and taxes. Flying under the radar may well work in most places but can make you vulnerable to competitors or unhappy or deadbeat customers. Temporary employment in a local shop is far safer but then you have to pay taxes. Credentials do not mean much in the gig economy, easily faked, not easy to verify.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 04:19   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
I would offer a different angle to consider. Happened to me when I was really into racing motorbikes as a hobby. Working as a graphic designer / photographer payed my bills. Bikes were for fun. I picked up a few freelance jobs for a friend in the bike business. How cool was that, so I thought. Photograph leather suites, full exhaust systems, race bikes... got to hang out at the cool race shop all the time. Made their catalogs, website... etc. Not long, and I realized that my very awesome hobby became my job, and I stopped enjoying riding bikes the way I used to.

Moral of the story, sometimes hobbies and stuff you love to do need to stay just that.

Your mileage may vary.
My mileage varied...

Back when I had a real job (IT), which was very intense, I used sailing to clear my head. Hung out at a sailing school owned by a friend when I had the time (80+ hour work weeks were my norm). He kept after me to become an instructor, but I wasnt interested in turning my escape into work.

Then I had the opportunity to teach some professional technical classes and really enjoyed it. So, reconsidered and became a sailing instructor. That decision has offered me many great sailing opportunities, on many different boats, in many different venues.

Ive gotten paid to go sailing on all 3 USA coasts (E, W, and S), various E Carib venues, Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Colombia...

For me, the relatively small investment of time and money to become an instructor (and later an Instructor Evaluator) has paid great dividends, both financially and, more importantly, in sailing experiences.

Case in point, I ran an IQC (Instructor Qualification Clinic) in Belize last year. For some of the small boat work, we used a traditional Belizean fishing vessel. Sailing one of these had been on my to do list for years. The rest of the clinic we completed while cruising around Belize on a Leopard 38. Sure beats a week in an office somewhere. Great fun and I made a little pocket change too.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 04:32   #43

Google Dave Ramsey.

If you think you can be paid off in 3yrs making $40k, buckle down in your current location and get it paid off in a 1yr. Then you will be in far better shape.

Yes, it's possible but not easy and not a reliable path.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 05:03   #44

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... For some of the small boat work, we used a traditional Belizean fishing vessel.
That looks like an Australian sailing photo. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 06:14   #45

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
That looks like an Australian sailing photo. . . . [emoji3]
Well, Belize does have the second largest barrier reef on the planet next to Austrailia so likely some similarities.

Except .... look at the hailing port on the stern.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing