Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 04:52   #361
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Calibogue Sound looks worse than Wassaw. Cut due north from the Savannah river entrance at G15, pass G3 close on your port, then between R4 & G5, correct? Looks awful skinny at G3. (I need 5.5')
Don, I pretty much track along the longitude line 80 50.0 here and find 13 to 14 feet at G3. True, there is that shoal east of G3 and close. With that in mind, I usually stay on the 80 - 50.0 in that 14 to the west of G3, but I've been in good water on both sides of G3. Strangely, the big threat here is that some hit that submerged breakwater to the east of the lower range mark. It looks like a stupid move, but I've seen boats that hit it! That's why I wait for the 80 - 50.0 before leaving the big channel.
Old 26-04-2013, 15:05   #362

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Thanks for your kind words. That and a fixed transmission will get me home.
Old 26-04-2013, 15:38   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Strangely, the big threat here is that some hit that submerged breakwater to the east of the lower range mark. It looks like a stupid move, but I've seen boats that hit it! That's why I wait for the 80 - 50.0 before leaving the big channel.
Saw that jetty, and the low water on the other side, don't see any reason to even think about turning there. When you turn at G15 it is about 84:49.6 so we were close. The west side of G3 does look better.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:55   #364

Quote:
The hammock? Yes. The occupant, sadly, no. But I may have an alternitive occupant in stock. She won't be O.E.M. but she will have PMA and an 8130.
:ROFLMAO: Awesome!
Ldylightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 11:49   #365

Just signed on to this forum Friday, and read through this whole thread today! What an adventure!! Hubby and I picked up our first boat in October, and are learning to sail. The goal is 5-10 years down the line to do as you've done, sell everything, buy a liveabord and head for St. Croix (from Louisiana). I've really enjoyed reading all the steps from pulling the trigger through the transmission work! Opened my eyes to the daily travails, and it sounds pretty awesome!! Will definitely be following your future endeavors, and hope to see you out in the blue sometime!!
Old 28-04-2013, 18:01   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldylightfoot View Post
: Originally Posted by Don1500
"The hammock? Yes. The occupant, sadly, no. But I may have an alternative occupant in stock. She won't be O.E.M. but she will have PMA and an 8130."
-------------------------------------------

ROFLMAO: Awesome!
Somebody finally got it!
Old 28-04-2013, 18:08   #367

Sunday night, just another full day of doing nothing but wait for the parts. Only Monday to go. Parts due here on Tuesday (I know the mechanic had vacation scheduled for the end of last week and didn't want to start. I think they got the parts last Thursday.) But that's OK, I gotta be somewhere and Port Royal is as good as anywhere. I paid for a month so the cost per night is pretty well down.
Old 28-04-2013, 20:29   #368

Quote:

Somebody finally got it!
:-D
7 years GA Avionics tech. I really did laugh! Then felt bad when I kept reading and saw that it didn't work out. Unfortunately, some times you get bad parts out of supply...
Old 29-04-2013, 04:17   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldylightfoot View Post
:-D
7 years GA Avionics tech. I really did laugh! Then felt bad when I kept reading and saw that it didn't work out. Unfortunately, some times you get bad parts out of supply...
Don't worry, my supplier had a newer model in stock, been working much better for the past year. This model has better accessories and is more ergonomic.
Old 29-04-2013, 07:55   #370

Quote:
Don't worry, my supplier had a newer model in stock, been working much better for the past year. This model has better accessories and is more ergonomic.
ROFL!! I hope she either has a sense of humor, or doesn't read the forums!!! :-D
Old 30-04-2013, 19:11   #371

Unhappy Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

The other shoe dropped today. The techs came to install the damper plate in the transmission. Although the plate was crap it wasn't the whole problem. The transmission was cooked. After all that I need a new transmission, too. Well, they took my old one with them and started hunting for a new one. I did, too. I wanted to know the real price before hearing it from them. Found lots of "used but not tested" units for about $500. These were taken off of dead motors and sold as is. Nope, not for me. Reconditioned about $1800, maybe. New $2000 - $2200.

The mechanic called me back to let me know he was still looking but had a price of $2400, he thought it was too high (duh). I told him what I found and he said he'd keep trying. Called back later and said he has a NEW transmission for $1800, being drop shipped from the factory. It should be here Thursday. Believe it or not with the fast work they did getting the old one out, and knowing they can get the new one in and set up in the same or less time, the original quote will only be off by a few hundred. Still hurts, but I can rationalize anything.
Old 30-04-2013, 19:22   #372

Have you tried starting the motor to make sure that is the only problem you had? knowing my luck if I were in your situation after they get the transmission on the dang engine still wouldn't start.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04   #373

Yes, we know it is only the transmission. Didn't start the engine but we did crank it and it was free and clear.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:18   #374

Boat: Tartan 40
How did it go? Are you back up and running?
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44   #375

Quote:
Reconditioned about $1800, maybe. New $2000 - $2200.
<-- SNIP -->
The mechanic called me back to let me know he was still looking but had a price of $2400, he thought it was too high (duh). I told him what I found and he said he'd keep trying. Called back later and said he has a NEW transmission for $1800, being drop shipped from the factory. It should be here Thursday. Believe it or not with the fast work they did getting the old one out, and knowing they can get the new one in and set up in the same or less time, the original quote will only be off by a few hundred. Still hurts, but I can rationalize anything.
Sorry to hear about your transmission troubles Don. I think you made a wise decision opting for new. They actually matched the price for rebuilt? How long is the warranty?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle