Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2010, 10:33   #61

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
yea, i saw that one actually, and i loved the wood work, but then re read it and it was a 'sister' ship.. so, not real sure it is accurate or reflective, although it says it is...

$20k is outside my budget right now... depending on how long i can stay in my house and or how much money I can save, predicates how big a boat i can get...
Just remember that 'asking price' and 'selling price' often have nothing to do with each other. Zac Sunderland (young circumnavigator) bought his Islander 36 for 6K.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 15:45   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
What an enjoyable thread to read.. I'd like to use the above as my signature line in all the forums I frequent. I would recognize you as the originator. It sounds exactly like something I would have said of myself (and folks that know me would say the same)!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE MY QUOTE, or anything i say as your signature...

Glad to be of service...

bill
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 15:51   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Just remember that 'asking price' and 'selling price' often have nothing to do with each other. Zac Sunderland (young circumnavigator) bought his Islander 36 for 6K.
now thats the deal I am looking for... wowsa!!!!

If you guys see a deal like that, PLEASE let me know...I am kinda 'floundering' with all the information and ads and asking / selling prices and geography and everything really...

And if you all know of a boat slip or marina in my intended geography range, I would appreciate it...

thanks

bill
Old 27-12-2010, 16:00   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
now thats the deal I am looking for... wowsa!!!!

If you guys see a deal like that, PLEASE let me know...I am kinda 'floundering' with all the information and ads and asking / selling prices and geography and everything really...

And if you all know of a boat slip or marina in my intended geography range, I would appreciate it...

thanks

bill
I hope your not assuming the Islander was 'Ready to go , Turn key' for 6K...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:25   #65

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
Quote:
yes, i am outta 'whack'... I understand that... something i have to deal with though...

and i dont assume anything.. anything/everything i have offered here is definately my opinion and uneducated/expereinced...

I just tryied to communicate what old Jersey stated... having a lewsser priced/valued boat will be or should be easier to deal with.. the margin is fairly acceptable...

I dont mind constructive comments and critique, and I hope you mean your comments to be that.. if not... please refrain...

thanks
Just take the jump, buy something cheap, and the learning curve will be great,, there are plenty of expensive yachts that will boo hoo you, just remember they never leave the mooring, while you with your older yacht with not as high tec equp, is owned buy you and not the bank and you will have more miles under your belt than they every will sipping there white wine
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 17:42   #66
cruiser

yes, i was assuming the boat was turnkey, but even still, I would hope the money he put into is significantly less the a buying a boat in a 'turnkey' condition...

isnt that the point? I am sure that if he bought the boat for $6k, and spent $200k you guys wouldnt be talking favorably or using hiim as an example...I am guessing he may have gotten the boat, OVERALL, for about half price? is that not the case? How much did it cost him ???

and yea, I have issues as inicated and elaborated before... and have some serious inscurity based issues on making decisions.... I am 52 and feel lke I am 20 years old after being kicked out by the gf... I second, third, fourth, four hundredth guess myself to death...

I am fortunate to not be in florida right now, as I would already have something.. at least this way, I am doing some, maybe too much research, and hopefully it will pay off positiviely, and save me ONE bad deal???

But, I know, it is likely my first boat wont be my last, and that there will be soje things i overlook or not know or notice on this boat, and i will learn from that experience...

this has been a problem for me in that, I am still here... I want to be gone.. I want to be en route, but, the longer I stay here, the more money I save... That is my quandary...If i want, i could go... I could pack up my car, call goodwill or some guys from home depot, and empty the rest of the house, and throw away everything else.. and my life would be progressing..

The side 'benefit' of my haning back is this ongoing 'issue' i have with my daughter... She has chosen to give up on me and it sucks... She thinks I am trying ot hurt her or make myself look better or something, and she fails to understand everything i have done is for her, so that she can be better off then me...

Unfortunately that translate into, i was the custodial parent, and i was the one that made her do her homework, and follow rules, and do chores, while the EX, was the good time parent.. only seeing her 3-5 times a month, and definately not doing homework, and or anything other then just try to have fun and or try to get to kn ow each other...

so, I am the heavy parent, and I am now paying the ultimate price...

but, I am hoping that sometime before i actually leave, that she will move forward and call me and or speak to me.. it really sucked not having her around for xmas, or my recent b-day...

but, like i said, I have issues... on oh so many fronts...

and the bad thing is that I seem to be repeating them, and that indicates i didnt learn from them the first time... arrrggghhh

those who forget the past are condemed to repeat them.. (but, I didnt forget, so I am not toatlly sure why or how I am wher i am... but I am willing to try to find out???

anyways, i found a surveyor near the Cal2-29... and the price is reasonable... now to get the owners to agree, and then get the boat pre-purchase surveyed...

I hope i can come to a deal while the boat is on the hard.. cause i would like to make it all clean and shiney... maybe add a couple coats of whatever is on there...

I just want to make the most efficient use of the money for hauling and splashing...

what sucs is that I wish I was there to see teh bottom, and do whatever work I can do...

I want to clean the ever living hell out of it... I can paint and all that, but if i could gut it or partially remove stuff to celan and scrub, and carnish/oil/paint whatever i could...

but, I will just chalk it up to the relocating project in whole...
Old 27-12-2010, 18:17   #67

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Quote:
yes, i was assuming the boat was turnkey, but even still, I would hope the money he put into is significantly less the a buying a boat in a 'turnkey' condition...

what sucs is that I wish I was there to see teh bottom, and do whatever work I can do...

I want to clean the ever living hell out of it... I can paint and all that, but if i could gut it or partially remove stuff to celan and scrub, and carnish/oil/paint whatever i could...

but, I will just chalk it up to the relocating project in whole...
Buying the cheapest boat possible and pouring lots of money into it is not a reliable way to save money. That's not to say it can't happen, but I'm sure most people on CF would tell you they've put a LOT more money into their boat than they had planned.

Also, if I understand you correctly, you are disappointed that you can't do work to the boat during the survey while the boat is ashore. I can't imagine a situation where a seller would allow any potential buyer to do work to the boat until the check has cleared and the paperwork has been filed.

Best of luck.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 18:23   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I don't know for sure how to respond to the above without sounding like a heartless bastard... but sod it here goes...
A lot of folks in CF have 'issues' in varying degrees... and they all seem enormous to us as individuals.. while to many others ones problems boil down to... "What the hells she/he whinging on for.."
I've a son who rarely/never responds to e-cards etc... but what the hell... he's a man and entitled to his choices.. I think he's great.. produced to lovely daughters and has a great wife.. works in an adventure scheme for young people and I'm proud as hell of him but...
When the marriage broke up I walked through the door and started a new life.. I've never closed the door and if he wants I'm available... but I'm damned if I'm gonna let anyone play head games with me or put me on a guilt trip.
I helped give him his greatest gift...LIFE... how he uses it is down to him.
I have no regrets... why should I.. it wont change a thing just screw me up..
Get out there and live for yourself... your work is done... get a life (I mean that in the best sense of the expression).
Ass kissing and crying only drives a bigger wedge... just leave means of contact open
Sorry this is not the huggy kissy sympathy message that seems prevalent in the US but I'm an old fashioned brit... we don't do psychiatrists.
I've a feeling this is gonna get me a slap from the 'Mods'

Old 27-12-2010, 20:49   #69
cruiser

it better not get a slap from the mods.. I truly believe in the intent of the message and i truly believe you have any ill intent.

I post my 'issues' nor for any purpose other then to reinfoce my choices and ambitions... I do know there are many people and families with way worst issues then mine, or anthing i can imagine... I dont want to discount them, nor mine...

they are what they are... I put them out there to also get some info regarding my choices in boats as I do intent on cruising single.. no need for larger interiors and things like that... Nor will I have to worry about somone else sailing or destroying my boat...

as for working on the boat prior to the check clearing, absolutely... If I was here, under ideal terms, as soon as the surveyor gave his thumbs up, I would negotiate and buy the boat... it's all cash, so no need for checks clearing...

I am sure I can handle painting the boat, after i figure out the process and types of paints... I have hands on experience with a lot of specialty coatings, and i have used ailress, hvlp and cap spray, and all kinda everything... It might take me a little bit to figure out the coverage, but after that, I am sure i can prep and mask off and even put in some nice graphics/ color scheme...

what is teh situation with 'boat names'? Is it possible to change the boat name or is that some type of taboo thing???

Needless to say, I kinda figured on renaming, but someone just told me that it might not be a good thing???

anyways
Old 28-12-2010, 03:29   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

LoL... renaming is a load of superstitious balderdash... outa my 14 boats I did not rename two... my first.. which had a keel give way and half sank the boat... and a Beneteau which was rammed....
The rest were renamed and served me well.. minor probs but nothing like above...
and the naming ceremony can be as low or high key as you choose..

But then again... I suppose if you give her some dumb name she may get pissy...

Old 28-12-2010, 03:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LoL... renaming is a load of superstitious balderdash...outa my 14 boats I did not rename two... my first.. which had a keel give way and half sank the boat... and a Beneteau which was rammed....
The rest were renamed and served me well..
Seems like Boatman has just proved that it'd be a load of superstitious balderdash not to change the name.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 07:59   #72

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
i will go out on a limb here, but, if you want to sleep on the boat, even for a weekends or something, I wouldnt want anything smaller then 27ft

Although it sounds bigger, and it is, the berthing areas are tiny, tiny, tiny...

and I dont think it is that much harder to sail a 27 then it is a 20ft

but then again, I have never sailed yet... hehehehe
You're spot on. Something of about 20ft would normaly be refered to as a 'day sailor'. Meaning you can make a hot drink and have a lie down in her but you'd not want to live on it full time. Also, youre right, if anything i'd say a 27ft or larger is going to be EASIER to sail as it'll be more stable.

As for your problems with your daughter, i'm guessing shes in her teens right? If so, don't worry too much. I have a step daughter that I had a similar relationship with. Mum would let her get away with murder and I was the one that always seemed to be laying down the law. Well, after years of "you're not my father, I hate you...", etc. she has now grown up and we are the best of friends!

So, don't loose hope and concentrate on getting yourself sorted. You're of no use to her if you let things slide after all. When you speak to her next, remind her you're still her Dad and that you love her. She'll come round eventualy.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:47   #73

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I've discovered that old Pop's was right when he said, "The bigger they get, the bigger the headache they are." I'm planning our escape right now.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 10:44   #74
cruiser

thank you.. yes, she is 18... and yes it will/maybe temporary...but, I wish it could be different... I wish we could have the relationship that keeps us together, so that she can help me and I can help her...

I believe she is in for a long road, similar to the one i went down, and know that i can help her avoid most of that... but ultimately, it is her choice to believe that she will be immune to those issues...

She could stay here and go to school and not have to work full time... all it would 'cost' her is to pick up after herself, and maybe 'regular' chores, like taking out the trash, feed and clean the stupid cat, etc...

she could earn spending money by doing other things.. like was my truck, mop the floors, spring cleaning type of things etc... those things i would pay a fair wage...

but, she would rather not help me.. she would rather help her mother and spend more time on Facebook, and Myspace and texting... and going to friends for a 'kickback'... whatever that is...

anyways, like you said, I need to make myself whole... no matter where I am I will be here... and if she wants anything from me, she will know my number... but as it is now, she ignored me on my birthday, and xmas, and probably new years...

I see no reason to inform her that i am moving... the phone number will be the same, and maybe some day she will call me and ask me to come over and or to see me and I will say... maybe she will assume I am still at the same place and drive over or will ask me if i moved.. .

it wont be until then that she knows I am gone...

it will suck, and i cant help but hope and wish that she will call me before i actually leave... but the reality is the same.. i am staying here to save money before i HAVE to move out...

oh well
Old 28-12-2010, 11:11   #75

Boat: Whitby 42ft
Send a message via Yahoo to KayKay58
Hi there Berg, and welcome to C/F! Have you thought about the Texas Gulf Coast? The expenses of living here are quite a bit cheaper than Florida it seems, and the weather is pretty much equal. I loved living on our 30ft Cal, and I love even more our 41ft Morgan. This is a great forum to get ideas from and great advice, and be sure you want to do the sailing avenue before you become committed to a boat. It is a lot of work, money, and headaches, but if you love the water, it can be the best life there is, I know I won't trade mine for anything! Good luck!
KayKay58 is offline   Reply With Quote