Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2010, 20:24   #46

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
eyes wide open

your honesty is great, because in the yacht, sail world there are a lot of sharks,
if you want a list of San Diego sharks I can give the list.
But we forget we all had to start somewhere and get bruises somewhere!.
Read and dig don't believe all you hear, from :"experts" there is plenty of good solid advise out there, just do the research and go forward with caution.
Have a dream and the means will follow, just keep the passion.
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 20:47   #47

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziptie-ducktape View Post
your honesty is great, because in the yacht, sail world there are a lot of sharks,
if you want a list of San Diego sharks I can give the list.
But we forget we all had to start somewhere and get bruises somewhere!.
Read and dig don't believe all you hear, from :"experts" there is plenty of good solid advise out there, just do the research and go forward with caution.
Have a dream and the means will follow, just keep the passion.
There's a chance I might be buying a boat down in S.D. sometime soon, so I'd like to hear your experience. It would be great if there were a rating system somewhere where potential buyers could hear the good, bad, and the ugly about brokers and surveyors.
Just as much, I'd like to hear about who you found trustworthy.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 21:18   #48

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
I used 'Horizon Marine' and they are not worth the time or the money.
The work they were to do was shoddy and half completed, with "oh well near enough good enough" there constant reply, I had shrouds made and they unravelled after a month? I put the old ones back they were better than the "new " so watch out for them...
San Diego is a great place to get great work done by professionals, just watch out and research, look at previous work carried out and look for references.
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 21:39   #49

To the OP and other...I'm watching this thread closely. I'm on a 1-2 year time line to do this. I'll live on the boat and commute to work (I'm a teacher). I want to say thanks to everyone that has replied because I'm gleaning so much.

I'm looking for a smaller boat at first (in the 20 ft range) and something to day cruise. Since I'm in my 30's still, this first boat will be the boat that teaches me what to do. Then I'll retire in my 50's to a blue-water boat.

And, Merry Xmas. Happy New Year everyone!!!
jawnaw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 18:53   #50
cruiser

hey Tandem,

Where do you live? or rather where is that Catalina 27?

and folks, which would you stil lsuggest, the Cal29 or the cat 27

Keep in mind the price and the equipment, and the advertised condition.

also, take a look at this one

CAL27 SAILBOAT MARINA DEL REY OFRS EXCEPTD 818-808-8225 - eBay (item 230566580745 end time Dec-30-10 19:16:47 PST)

it's a cal27

they really want it gone...It has new travelers, by some famous boat designer/builder or something... all kinds of new never used standing rigging...Stiff traveler(whatever that means)

It has a lot of stainless rigging and winches... I havent been inside yet, but hear the motor is new, maybe a couple hours...

the only big problem is that it is in California...

but, for that price, I could spend some time out here learning, and getting spend more time in choosing a boat in Florida and make sure it is what i want and the condition and all that...

and for the price i get the boat for here I should be able to flip it pretty easily???

I usually dont do well in buying low and selling high, but I think this might be the one...

the people dont know about boats, and are selling it for their father who has Alzheimer, and he never sailed the boat in the last 1-1/2

I dont think boat prices are going to go up anytime soon, so I am not risking much, assuming I can sell the boat here in Cal, for the same price i pay for it???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:02   #51
cruiser

i will go out on a limb here, but, if you want to sleep on the boat, even for a weekends or something, I wouldnt want anything smaller then 27ft

Although it sounds bigger, and it is, the berthing areas are tiny, tiny, tiny...

and I dont think it is that much harder to sail a 27 then it is a 20ft

but then again, I have never sailed yet... hehehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post
To the OP and other...I'm watching this thread closely. I'm on a 1-2 year time line to do this. I'll live on the boat and commute to work (I'm a teacher). I want to say thanks to everyone that has replied because I'm gleaning so much.

I'm looking for a smaller boat at first (in the 20 ft range) and something to day cruise. Since I'm in my 30's still, this first boat will be the boat that teaches me what to do. Then I'll retire in my 50's to a blue-water boat.

And, Merry Xmas. Happy New Year everyone!!!
Old 26-12-2010, 19:34   #52

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Search through "The Library" forum and pick up a few books... or lots of books. Get on a boat a sail. Take an ASA sailing course. Don't let someone tell you what boat is good for you. Nobody knows that. Research until you can decide what boat is good for you. I'm not saying don't ask questions. I'm saying you have to learn what questions to ask.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 20:26   #53
cruiser

forty two..

yes, you are probably 100 percent correct.

I should be getting some experience thru schools and maybe some charters or meeting folks and all that..

But, I have a time frame... I have money, and am kinda hoping that at the worst.. if the boat i get isnt all that, or i find something else that is better to my liking or better condition or more toys/features, I can sell up... which is why I am trying to get the bang for the buck... hopefully I can sell my boat for not su much as a loss as some folks here..

it kinda all about timing.. and for the amount of money I am dealing with right now, I think it maybe 'ok' to buy now and think later?

not so good sounding when stated like that.. but..

and again, I am still looking and not committing yet...
Old 26-12-2010, 20:43   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well... she looks nice and tidy on the outside... woodwork is usually a good indicator of an owners attention to things.. and the rest if as you say is there its a good deal.
You've nothing to lose if you buy it and live on board while taking lessons... if your happy with her she's big enough to coast hop south when you feel experienced enough... if you hate it.. well hell.. lifes not perfect.
Also you'll have a bigger advantage than at the moment.. your on site so to speak and can meet and talk with other boat owners/sailos.. make friends, get advice, maybe even go sailing on their boats or, better yet... get them to take you out on yours...
Its a start.... the begining of the learning curve..
Your serve...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 20:52   #55

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Bergovoy,
If you want to try some classes in the SoCal area, you might have a look at two places that give U.S. Sailing keel boat classes:
Mission Bay Aquatic Center- sailing
Sailing Classes | www.occsailing.com

If I'm not mistaken, they're the most economical sailing schools in SoCal and hopefully not too far for you to travel to. You'd get all the basics and get an idea of what sailing is about. Mission Bay Aquatic Center uses J-24's, which are very responsive boats and fun to learn on.

As for liveable size when thinking about buying a boat, this differs for everyone, but I think most people start to feel better on boats above 30 feet. Headroom is important for most people and you don't always find enough on boats below this length.

Good luck in your learning and your search!

Here's a boat for ya!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/2130255536.html

Nice that he's proud to show his survey. A good sign, but it might be just an insurance survey; likely not as rigorous as a buyer's survey.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 22:33   #56
cruiser

yea, i saw that one actually, and i loved the wood work, but then re read it and it was a 'sister' ship.. so, not real sure it is accurate or reflective, although it says it is...

$20k is outside my budget right now... depending on how long i can stay in my house and or how much money I can save, predicates how big a boat i can get...

Currently, I can save approx $2k a month towards a boat and move/relocation...

and depending on where the boat is berthed and how much I downsize my lifestyle, I maybe able to save more once i get on board...
Old 27-12-2010, 03:10   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

big advantage of a cheap starter boat is that if you get caned on the deal it is easier to move on from (like buying a s/h car ) - lose half the value of a $10k boat ain't nice, but far better than on a $50k vessel. $5k might not even cover a few of the surprise problems that can be discovered on a larger boat.........

you will learn a lot (on sailing and boats, being a Skipper and Crew) that will save you money when you go larger. Downside to the start small / cheap approach is have to trade time.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 03:24   #58

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
You don't have time nor money and you don't know what you're looking for and you assume you can resell a boat better then some folks here?

Cruisers are not hostages of their schedules, but align with mother earth's.

You are far from alignment.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 05:26   #59
cruiser

yes, i am outta 'whack'... I understand that... something i have to deal with though...

and i dont assume anything.. anything/everything i have offered here is definately my opinion and uneducated/expereinced...

I just tryied to communicate what old Jersey stated... having a lewsser priced/valued boat will be or should be easier to deal with.. the margin is fairly acceptable...

anyways. I dont mind constructive comments and critique, and I hope you mean your comments to be that.. if not... please refrain...

thanks
Old 27-12-2010, 09:15   #60

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
yes, i am outta 'whack'... I understand that... something i have to deal with though...
What an enjoyable thread to read.. I'd like to use the above as my signature line in all the forums I frequent. I would recognize you as the originator. It sounds exactly like something I would have said of myself (and folks that know me would say the same)!
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote