Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2020, 23:13   #1

Boat: Moody 39
Getting a second visa on a different passport?

I've tried googling this but couldn't really find anything.
Hypothetically, if you ran out of visa time somewhere and wanted to stay, could you check out, sail away, then return a few days later and check in using a different passport? In my case it would be switching between a UK and Irish passport.
Probably not is my gut feeling... but it might be worth a go
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 03:53   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Getting a second visa on a different passport?

No as the typically stay is usually expressed as x days out of Y. If you’ve consumed your allotment your not entitled to any more
Old 18-11-2020, 05:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

outside of europe you should have no problem extending a 3 month visa for a further 3 months.
changing passports would not work,as presumably arriving by yacht you would need a clearance certificate and crew list from your last port with passport details on it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:50   #4

Many places in the world could prosecute you for being in possession of multiple passports, so be careful...
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Many places in the world could prosecute you for being in possession of multiple passports, so be careful...
Seriously? Assuming that we are NOT talking about a fake passport, but a legitimate second passport, I have never heard of ANY country that would consider that to be illegal. It is, after all, extremely common. There are probably tens of millions of people on Earth with multiple passports.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 13:11   #6

You may need to declare your second passport when you enter the country and many countries take a dim view to you entering with 1 passport while carrying and not declaring a second. Its very similar to having multiple drivers licenses, that is something authorities frown upon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Seriously? Assuming that we are NOT talking about a fake passport, but a legitimate second passport, I have never heard of ANY country that would consider that to be illegal. It is, after all, extremely common. There are probably tens of millions of people on Earth with multiple passports.
Old 05-02-2021, 13:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Dual (or multiple) citizenship or nationality means that you are a citizen of more than one country.
Dual or multiple citizenship is legal in Canada.
The U.S. allows (but does not encourage) dual citizenship.
However, it may not be legal in the other country, or countries, where you hold citizenship.
If you are planning to visit the country of your other citizenship, contact the embassy or consulate of that country, to find out if you need to meet specific requirements.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 17:05   #8

The OP came on here wanting advice on doing something he knew was wrong and which he was hoping to facilitate by having a second (or third) passport. This illustrates the precise reason why most countries frown upon the carrying of multiple passports. Its quite likely that in many countries the OP would have to surrender all but 1 of his passports for the duration of his stay in that country and get the remaining ones back on exiting. Not declaring the possession of multiple passports could be a crime.

I had a cousin who was a South African citizen married to an Irish citizen. They were traveling as a couple from Europe to Australia and their flight made a stop in China. Even though they were not going to leave the secure zone of the airport while the plane refueled and got a fresh crew, when the Chinese discovered her nationality she was held at gunpoint by several soldiers. She was only released after several Australian and American passengers made a big fuss over her treatment.
Old 05-02-2021, 17:58   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Say what????????
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 20:08   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I have many friends (and a wife) who hold dual citizenship and thus dual passports. I have never heard of anyone being questioned about it let alone get in trouble for it.

My country of birth gave me a passport, I moved to and took citizenship in a different country and got another passport. Neither country knew of or asked about the other’s passport. I traveled to my “home” country on one passport which expired while I was there, I left using the other passport and nobody even noticed.

I don’t believe that any country’s border control will identify a person who uses two passports for access to a country on two (even closely timed) occasions. There must be tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of common names owned by different people. Imagine if John Smith was questioned/prosecuted/incarcerated because another John Smith passed through the same border yesterday. Sorry but that’s ludicrous.

Two passports essentially identify two different legal people. If you can procure a visa for each passport, the border officials have no possible way of telling that it’s the same passport holder. The hard part may be getting two visas.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 20:20   #11

You try some of those actions when being a citizen of a country that is not part of the visa waiver program.. in other words you need to apply for a visa for a trip anywhere. Try showing officials at border control that you have 2 or more passports and see what happens. Or better still, try being selected for "enhanced screening" 100% of the time and having them search all of your luggage, discover that you have passports that were not used to enter the country and see where that gets you.

People who have never had to apply for a visa in their life, have no idea of what life is like for the rest of the world for whom those rules don't apply anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I have many friends (and a wife) who hold dual citizenship and thus dual passports. I have never heard of anyone being questioned about it let alone get in trouble for it.

My country of birth gave me a passport, I moved to and took citizenship in a different country and got another passport. Neither country knew of or asked about the other’s passport. I traveled to my “home” country on one passport which expired while I was there, I left using the other passport and nobody even noticed.

I don’t believe that any country’s border control will identify a person who uses two passports for access to a country on two (even closely timed) occasions. There must be tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of common names owned by different people. Imagine if John Smith was questioned/prosecuted/incarcerated because another John Smith passed through the same border yesterday. Sorry but that’s ludicrous.

Two passports essentially identify two different legal people. If you can procure a visa for each passport, the border officials have no possible way of telling that it’s the same passport holder. The hard part may be getting two visas.
Old 05-02-2021, 20:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post

Yes they do, your name and date of birth are the first things the scanner looks for if they are the same you in for a closer look.....
Old 05-02-2021, 20:59   #13

Quote:
You try some of those actions when being a citizen of a country that is not part of the visa waiver program.. in other words you need to apply for a visa for a trip anywhere. Try showing officials at border control that you have 2 or more passports and see what happens. Or better still, try being selected for "enhanced screening" 100% of the time and having them search all of your luggage, discover that you have passports that were not used to enter the country and see where that gets you.

People who have never had to apply for a visa in their life, have no idea of what life is like for the rest of the world for whom those rules don't apply anywhere.

I have 3 legal citizenships and have had 2 passports in hand many many times entering many countries, I have had my documents (including my passports) looked at by dozens of immigration officers and have never had a problem......I really don’t know what you are talking about...

There are only a handful, not many countries that do not allow a second or more citizenships.....
Old 05-02-2021, 21:10   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I've never had any problem leaving one country on passport 'A' and arriving in another country on passport 'B'..... either by land or sea. The only small issue I have ever had and only on a few occasions where I have been boarding an aircraft using Passport B ( which has no country A visa in it ) to fly back to country A. Then it has been a simple matter of showing passport A to the nice lady.

Changing passports while in a country 'C'... ie enter on A and leave on B ... that won't work in Chile as they want to see your arrival card and the arrival stamp in the passport when you leave... knew someone who tried it... didn't work.

Re the OP's question... I just don't know.... has anyone here had experience doing it and what was the result? If nobody has then the OP's question simply remains unanswered.....

As for me... I am looking forward to the next referendum so I can swap my UK passport for a Scottish one... after Scotland has rejoined the EU..
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:43   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i held 2 perfectly legal uk passports for 20 years,the only difference was one had isreali and south african stamps in it,the other was used for travel to arab and african countries where i might have been refused entry if visits to sa or isreal were apparent.

i no longer travel between those countries,but would be surprised if western countries no longer issue a second passport if requested for travel in the middle east where sensitivity exists
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote