Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 14:04   #31

Re: Getting a second visa on a different passport?

Mind all that this also is not just an immigration matter.

If one resides in a country for an extended stay there is the very real prospect that one will thence become a tax resident, and / or looses one's privileges to social benefits in your country of citizenship by having been away too long. This is of issue for Canadians, the rules for permitted absence from their Province varies for each Province, hence the Snowbirders pay careful attention to their days away and days back at home. This becomes a major monetary matter and a tax filing matter.

As to the duplicate passports which are provided to keep clean one versus the other as to hostile country stampings of issued visas. Note that they are truly duplicates of each other, they are not two different passports. You still have only the one identity issued by the country that provided the convenience duplicate to you as accomodation and protection of your travel away from your country of citizenship. I have heard stories wherein a person brings both along on their travels and the second is discovered by the hostile country with suspicion and adverse result [caused to immediately depart / rejected entry], and even more wherein the passport holder uses the wrong duplicate when entering a hostile country therein defeating the purpose of having the cautionary use duplicate. As the saying goes: You can't fix stupid.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 15:41   #32

Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
My EU citizenship confers a right to be in any EU member state indefinitely. Which is wonderful. But I have ambitions to sail a bit further than that, eventually.

Note that I'm not actually advocating or planning the use of my second passport to get a repeat visa somewhere- just wondering if it was actually possible, and it sounds overwhelmingly like it's not a good idea.
I stopped using my Australian passport when entering Chile when I discovered that if I used my UK one I didn't have to pay the reciprocity fee of about US$116 each time I entered by air.

Nobody said boo.....

That fee was done away with last year but Australians still need an E-visa before traveling ( single or multi available ) so I will stick with my UK passport.... no visa required ... 90 days given at the airport on arrival.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:00   #33

Boat: MASRM 720

I hold Australian and German passports. To my knowledge:

-it is a legal requirement to enter a state where you hold a passport from with that passport. I leave Australia with my Australian Passport and enter Europe with my German passport and vice versa.

- it is wise to enter and leave a country on the same passport

-in all other countries, you can pick, which passport you want to use, but you should declare multiple cityzenship if asked

-playing multiple passports in a way described by the starter of the thread is extremely unwise and probably highly unlawful

Regards,

-Richard
Old 08-02-2021, 16:14   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

In the first place many countries give you a new visa on arrival. Only those countries which enforce a limit of "so many days out of such and such", like only 90 days out of 180 will trouble you at the border.

Find out before you leave the country. Don't try to fool them by a subtrifuge of using a different passport. That is a opportunity for expulsion or arrest if they figure it out, and intent is important.

HOWEVER, Many countries simply allow you to leave and then immedately come back for a new length of stay. This is called a "visa run".

If that is permitted you can leave the boat, do a visa run, then come back and rejoin your boat.

In Thailand we had to apply for extensions, which had a fee (probably a bribe, but I got a receipt from the immigration official in the office) and we stayed for three years after which we made a visa run to Mayanmar.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote