Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 18:28   #1

Doing Business from/on a Live Aboard in Florida

Hi,
I'm new to forums so am not sure if I am posting the question in the right place to get the best feedback however as it is about a Live aboard, I thought I would start here. Please be kind and direct me to the correct forum or thread if I am in the wrong place.
Anyway, here is what I would like to know: I would like to start a delivery service using my live aboard for goods & services but nothing involving hauling people. Can you run a business from your live aboard just as you can have a business office in a land home? If so, besides the normal requirement of owning a business, is there any other special license needed to operate the business on the water? Is your business taxed as if you were on land? If not how is it taxed and by who?
Anyone have experience with doing such in Pinellas County, FL?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55   #2

Re: Doing business from/on a live aboard in florida

I don't get it. You're going to deliver things ONLY within Pinellas County? Seems like there wouldn't be much market, since a truck would certainly be quicker and probably a lot cheaper.

But the bottom line is that if you want to haul cargo by vessel, the Coast Guard is going to have a lot to say about your boat, your business, and your qualifications. And the state of Florida is going to want you to have a business license and pay business taxes. And the federal government is going to want all of the usual taxes that depend on how the business is structured.

In other words, if you think you can avoid all of the hassles related to running a land-based business just by moving to a boat, you can't.

Good luck to you, in any case.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:33   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

If you are using your vessel for any commercial purpose, you will need to have the vessel inspected for safety purposes as well as holding a master's license. There are a number of Federal Regulations you will have to meet. Best bet, contact your local USCG Station and speak to an officer about the Regs you would have to comply with.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 13:15   #4

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Cat View Post
Hi,
I'm new to forums so am not sure if I am posting the question in the right place to get the best feedback however as it is about a Live aboard, I thought I would start here. Please be kind and direct me to the correct forum or thread if I am in the wrong place.
Anyway, here is what I would like to know: I would like to start a delivery service using my live aboard for goods & services but nothing involving hauling people. Can you run a business from your live aboard just as you can have a business office in a land home? If so, besides the normal requirement of owning a business, is there any other special license needed to operate the business on the water? Is your business taxed as if you were on land? If not how is it taxed and by who?
As a former Mexican border dweller (IVO: SPI, Boca Chica to Laredo, TX), I find this highly amusing...
I've seen smuggling ops going both ways for many decades (up close), and it's gotten downright nasty the last few decades.
Members of certain enforcement organizations are actually monitored (yes, personally), and even threatened, by "cartels" nowadays...

No offense intended, just not clear on your plan and couldn't resist.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 17:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Doing Business from/on a Live Aboard in Florida

I am also confused about your business plan. Are you expecting to profit by delivering materials by means of your sailboat? Give us an example of what you have in mind.
Old 14-04-2014, 14:53   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I am also confused about your business plan. Are you expecting to profit by delivering materials by means of your sailboat? Give us an example of what you have in mind.
When I was in Antigua, I heard about a large sail boat that delivered Coca-Cola to St Kitts from Antigua, and some how made a living, but then he wasn't in the US.
Old 14-04-2014, 15:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Cat View Post
Hi,
Are at all familiar with Pinellas County?

Check the charts. That are precious few places to of load north of the Vinoy marina on the bay side, and not a whole bunch more on the gulf side that have enough draft for a sailboat.

Not a viable business in my opinion.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:11   #8

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Hrmmmm.... delivering other kats for the solo sailor? Or a thrid member for the crusing couple?
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida