Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 18:23   #1

Does the law require a SV to have an installed head?

I was having a conversation with a fellow boater regarding all the new laws and restrictions regarding pump out. Specifically in GA. and FL., the logs with all pumpouts and new restrictions are not cruise friendly. How would the law deal with a boat without a head???

Example....Flying Scott? What about a 30' SV?

Thanks!

GC
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:32   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Does the law require a SV to have an installed head?

The US regs restrict what you discharge to the sea, not what you put it in before discharging.
Old 11-08-2019, 19:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Does the law require a SV to have an installed head?

I’m going to likely be wrong, but it’s my understanding that a head is not required, but if you have one it has to meet certain specifications.
Cause surely there are race boats without heads?
Be interesting though to explain what you do with the waste if you are anchored out with no land bathroom available.

I am aware of no new Fl regs, just disable the overboard discharge is all I’m aware of, and that’s actually a Federal requirement?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 19:26   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Per Florida Statutes:
327.53 Marine sanitation.—(1) Every vessel 26 feet or more in length which has an enclosed cabin with berthing facilities shall, while on the waters of the state, be equipped with a toilet. On a vessel other than a houseboat, the toilet may be portable or permanently installed. Every permanently installed toilet shall be properly attached to the appropriate United States Coast Guard certified or labeled marine sanitation device.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:49   #5

In British Columbia there is no requirement that a yacht MUST have a toilet. However, IF a yacht has one, there are regulations as to what you can do with stuff that's gone through it.

So to save ourselves trouble, it's easier NOT to have a permanently installed "head", and to use the "bucket and chuckit" system. So far that is perfectly legal.

Given the nature of bureaucrats who tend to "copy and paste" such regulations from their brethren in other jurisdictions, you may find that this centuries old solution is acceptable to YOUR bureaucrats :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:59   #6

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Have a friend in Va who has a 28' open fishing boat with a small cabin but no head. He got boarded by the USCG on the Potomac River (Maryland waters) about 9 am one morning - he had 3 other people on board and they'd been out fishing. CG asked about his head and he said he didn't have one. They asked what he did for "facilities". He asked the USCG officer, "What time did you guys come on shift?" The boarding officer replied, "6 am". My friend then said, "Bet you each had a couple of cups of coffee, didn't you? Since you're in an inflatable boat with no head, what did you do for "facilities"?" The boarding officer replied, "You have a nice day and stay safe!"
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Per Florida Statutes:
327.53 Marine sanitation.—(1) Every vessel 26 feet or more in length which has an enclosed cabin with berthing facilities shall, while on the waters of the state, be equipped with a toilet. On a vessel other than a houseboat, the toilet may be portable or permanently installed. Every permanently installed toilet shall be properly attached to the appropriate United States Coast Guard certified or labeled marine sanitation device.
Where is your boat registered? I would think (that's dangerous!) that if your boat is registered in a different state and passing through, then you would go by your state's rules. Also, is the boat documented, and if so, what is the home port? I think that would also determine the rules you need to follow.

It would seem illogical for a state to require one from out of state to make those sort of changes to a vessel passing through. On the other hand, never underestimate a bureaucrat's ability to defy logic.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 15:53   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Go to Goodwill or just a yard sale, buy a porta potti...........voila! You are legal!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 15:56   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

I think direct deposit is still legal ……..but I have a glorified porta potty which used to be plumbed in to a Y valve until I cut out the old smelly hand pump and capped all the good hoses to eliminate the smell.

Now I remove the thing and take it to the facility for dumping. I believe it hold 6 gallons

The PO installed my Thetford probably back in the early 90's. The new ones are quite nice...…

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	197776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	197777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thetford2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	197778  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 19:04   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

In California I think many harbors might not let you stay there. I have had them check my Y-valve and have had some chemicals put into my head that would I suppose lead them to me if I pumped out at a bad moment. I imagine it is psychological more than efficient, and I bet I could pump .... never mind.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 06:38   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In Canada, a boat requires a head to be legal to drink alcohol aboard. I've seen some factory installed heads that meet that legal requirement, but I would never use in a million years. My daughter's Siren 17 comes to mind. It has a small locker with a circular lid.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 07:37   #12

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Where is your boat registered? I would think (that's dangerous!) that if your boat is registered in a different state and passing through, then you would go by your state's rules. Also, is the boat documented, and if so, what is the home port? I think that would also determine the rules you need to follow.

It would seem illogical for a state to require one from out of state to make those sort of changes to a vessel passing through. On the other hand, never underestimate a bureaucrat's ability to defy logic.

You might try arguing with the LEO about following the laws in your registered state, but since the law is worded "Every Vessel, while on the waters of the state" they would tell you to tell it to the judge. The fact that a boat is documented is completely irrelevant as it has nothing to do with where the boat is home ported or registered. In the US at least the hailing port is simply a name extension and is pretty much meaningless. It simply allows one to distinguish between the thousands of boats with the same "Name".

Since in Florida at least this is a state law passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, I would not blame this on the bureaucrats charged with enforcing the laws as written.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 06:26   #13

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

One of my first boats Was a Siren Back in the jersey shore . in1970's
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 07:03   #14

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
You might try arguing with the LEO about following the laws in your registered state, but since the law is worded "Every Vessel, while on the waters of the state" they would tell you to tell it to the judge. The fact that a boat is documented is completely irrelevant as it has nothing to do with where the boat is home ported or registered. In the US at least the hailing port is simply a name extension and is pretty much meaningless. It simply allows one to distinguish between the thousands of boats with the same "Name".

Since in Florida at least this is a state law passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, I would not blame this on the bureaucrats charged with enforcing the laws as written.

You may be right. I ask for several reasons. First, I believe that if a vessel is flagged in a different country they does not require a dinghy to be registered, then they don't need to register their dinghy if in a state that does require that. I believe the same holds true for a boat that hails from a state that doesn't require registration.

Second, how is this any different than motor vehicles? I recall when I was at Fort Knox in Kentucky there was a concern among volunteer firemen about their blue lights. Kentucky police used blue lights and one of the neighboring states the police used red lights and the vols used blue. The answer was that if the car was tagged in Kentucky then they couldn't use the blue lights but if they were tagged in the neighboring state then they could use them.

You may be right, but I would be interested in hearing from an attorney to see if this is actually the case.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head