Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 19:12   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Dealing with galley scraps at anchor?

I really don't like it when cruisers throw fruit overboard, especially in harbors. I don't think fish eat it and it floats. Most other organic's are not a problem, though we usually just put it in the trash as it is just as easy.
Old 20-11-2016, 19:21   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Coffee grounds over the side always and as far as the rest what are scraps. Its called crab bait
Old 20-11-2016, 19:26   #33

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I really don't like it when cruisers throw fruit overboard, especially in harbors. I don't think fish eat it and it floats. Most other organic's are not a problem, though we usually just put it in the trash as it is just as easy.
Can't really say, but I suspect apples sink.
Who'eat a banana skin, or orange peel.
God Almighty, my conscience nudges me if I spit even an orange pip overboard.
But then.....I ain't normal.
Bloody Catholic Church !!!!!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 20:27   #34

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
All organic scraps go overboard, then we watch the fish eat it. It doesn't make any difference the size of the anchorage or harbor, most of it never makes it to the bottom before being consumed with much enthusiasm by the local wildlife.
Hello Officer... just feeding the fish!

We usually put things in the trash where its likely we can dispose of it but we do not like to keep lots of stinky trash on board... it attracts flies and smells bad. So in areas where we are not likely to be able to dispose of trash in the next two or three days we dump scraps overboard.

Of course, if it goes down the drain it goes out to sea! This includes coffee grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Ever hear of "bobbing for apples"?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 20:52   #35

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Hello Officer... just feeding the fish!

We usually put things in the trash where its likely we can dispose of it but we do not like to keep lots of stinky trash on board... it attracts flies and smells bad. So in areas where we are not likely to be able to dispose of trash in the next two or three days we dump scraps overboard.

Of course, if it goes down the drain it goes out to sea! This includes coffee grounds.

Ever hear of "bobbing for apples"?
YES !!! yes I do, about 65 years ago.
Old 20-11-2016, 21:24   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Who'eat a banana skin, or orange peel.
God Almighty, my conscience nudges me if I spit even an orange pip overboard.
But then.....I ain't normal.
Bloody Catholic Church !!!!!
Whatever.

I can tell you that in crowded anchorages in the Med, it isn't unusual to see full watermelons, melon rinds, bunches of bananas, and bags of oranges floating around. I don't like it.
Old 20-11-2016, 21:30   #37

Unbelievable.
Old 20-11-2016, 23:38   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Whatever.

I can tell you that in crowded anchorages in the Med, it isn't unusual to see full watermelons, melon rinds, bunches of bananas, and bags of oranges floating around. I don't like it.
This is the culture-rich environment that all you Med-iphiles keep telling us is such great cruising???

I dunno...

Jim (who advocates retaining non-water soluble discharge in anchorages, but will dump biodegradable stuff at sea every time)
Old 21-11-2016, 03:38   #39

In Turkey it is forbidden to dispose into the sea. Even rainwater running from deck.
This law is only unforced if you have stood on somebody´s toes. For instance if you have a real nice anchoring spot and a big gin palace is near and wants some privacy.

You have to bring the food scraps on land, dump in a bin and from there it will be transported at great costs to a landfill where they raise rats the size of dear with it.
OldBawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 04:09   #40

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Whatever.

Sounds like a vast punch bowl. If it were not for the bananas I would be tempted to say "sangria".

I was reading that off the coast of Seattle there is an elevated level if caffeine in the water. Just how much coffee grounds dumped into the ocean can cause even traceable caffine?
Tongue in cheek, are the fish getting enough sleep?
Old 21-11-2016, 04:12   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I am with everyone else. If it biodegrades, over it goes. By the way, some fish LOVE peas. We like to watch them eat them so much we have even tossed a few extra over just to watch them eat.

I dont have a composting head on my boat but did at a lakeshore cabin. We put coffee grounds in it every once in a while and it kept it from smelling at all. Try it. We didnt dry them out first either. Poo isnt dry so why should the coffee grounds go in dry?
Because the typical "composting" heads for boats really aren't...they are "desicating" heads.

I have full composting heads ashore, everything biodegradable goes into them except meat/fish scraps (human waste, as much toilet paper as you want, kitchen scraps, the occassional hand full of dirt to keep the microbes up, the occassional palm leaf to help bulk up the composte pile...). The end result is beautiful rich soil...but that takes months. The meat and fish scraps go "overboard"...either out the kitchen window where the dogs take care of it, or off the dock where the fish and crabs consume it.

That flower pot full of soil on the right is from one off season of use by 2 people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1479730326154.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	136568  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 06:14   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

FEED FISHIES they get hongree too.. fatten em up and catch em.. or watch em grow... i find food scraps disappear completely before they hit the sea floor. and if they do hit the sea floor, there are crabbies and lobsters and salt water cat fish to finish the disappearing act of the scraps.
i have watched as banana peels disappear down gullets of catfishies--yes it all goes down some kind of sea life gullet.

all fishies LOVE bubbas uneaten cat foods..... yummmhy i get a good boil going under my boat when i feed those ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 06:41   #43

In crowded anchorages, there is usually an onshore trash facility, so use it.

In remote areas, it's a non-issue to dump them overboard.

As far as overloading a sensitive waterway, if every cruiser emptied their fridge and pantry of all organics into the water in a crowded anchorage, it might look bad but it's not going to have any significant impact on water quality.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 06:44   #44

Our boat has Coppercoat, no smelly stinky anti fouling. Half an hour after arriving at an anchoring spot we have a complete aquarium grazing the ???? of the coppercoat. I see those fishes as an emergency meal. Can catch a meal in half an hour.
My bait ? I bought some fish farm food pellets which I mix with flour and water to make a marzipan consistency bait. Fish fight for it.
Guess what the pellets are made from. Yep.
OldBawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 07:30   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sea dreaming--as you are in mexico--separate your plastics and aluminum cans from the rest.
-the 2 and 3 liter soda bottles give to fishermen, they use as floats.
everything in mexico is burned.
aluminum cans are recycled.
plastics as well,
and fishies are hongree.
crab traps are illegal, as is trapping lobsters, and abalone capture.
poachers are punished.
btw--coffee grounds are excellent for gardens. so is ash from bbq--spread around outside of a garden near you for snail prevention.
coffee grounds dry in less than 24 hours even clumped up in a filter., yup i have this. they also keep the air fresh.
watching fishies feed is a good hobby. is most interesting to watch a salt water catfish appear and eat a banana peel.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, galley