Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 16:35   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Calming the rocking liveaboard boat...

Exposure to the swell seems to be the factor here that makes this an issue and much of this topic is related to where you are cruising. I spent some time along the California coast and was amazed at how many of the limited choices for anchoring required being subject to the swell.

The refraction of the waves around one point from open ocean exposure leaves you in a swell. Two points from the open ocean leaves you with little that remains unpleasant. Three points removed and what you have left is just a concern for current against the wind that might keep a pleasant breeze from flushing through the boat.

I know that shallow reefs or bars, in addition, will cut the effects of the ocean swell. Either way.... two points and a bar or two pints at the bar will settle you into a gentle night.

Location again, makes so much of a difference, Those of us cruising from Maine to the Bahamas and the eastern Gulf of Mexico have easy times finding enough points and barrier beaches with settled anchorages.
Old 14-04-2017, 16:44   #17

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
You might be interested in "the swell bridle" . Keeps the boat pointed into the swell when the wind is contrary. Seems like a good idea to me.
Fortunes Afloat: The Swell Bridle
ohhh, that's smart! definitely going to try it!
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 17:42   #18

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I've used my normal anchor bridle like the "swell bridle" mentioned in post 14. It usually only needs to be cleated mid ship as often it only takes a point or two to settle things down.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:03   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Hoist a heavy anchor up the mast, using a guy line of course to steady it, & keep it away from the spar. It'll slow down your roll period significantly, thus making the ride much gentler.

Or guy out the boom or spinnaker pole perpendicular to the boat & hang the dinghy from it's end. But be sure that the dink's at a height where it won't be splashing on impact with each swell all night.

You might even try both if things are really bad, or just to see what it's like.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:14   #20

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

I obviously thought this thread was about some kind of entirely different "rockin" the boat!!
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:30   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Catamaran.

Actually, the motion can actually be sharper if exposed. Beam seas are awful.

The best solutions are a better harbor, and getting used to it.
Old 15-04-2017, 02:21   #22

Try a different position and go slower [emoji23][emoji23]
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 03:17   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Common complaint is that the boat hardly ever stops moving. I think the greater stability of the catamaran helps with its occasional sales.

Seems that a lot of weight down by the keel would stabilize rocking significantly. How about four tightly drawn anchors?
You seem to have forgotten about the tide.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 03:24   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
You might be interested in "the swell bridle" . Keeps the boat pointed into the swell when the wind is contrary. Seems like a good idea to me.
Fortunes Afloat: The Swell Bridle
Tried it... never again. Chaff is a major issue and the need to constantly make adjustments. Much easier to find a better anchorage.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:58   #25

Boat: Boatless

Did that off of St Kitts ages ago, worked but still the swell was so bad we ended up going ashore that night and left the next day.

Bought a cat later, no regrets :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:56   #26

One for Outlaw7. Many years ago I worked for a salvage company and a lot of the time the work required the use of the ships crane (set up much like yachts mast and boom) to tear wreckage off the sea bed after the casualty had been flattened down with explosives.With bow and stern anchors out, it was often a case of beam on to the swell for many roly poly days. the only respite was when the crane was hooked to a large piece of wreckage sufficiently locked into the wreck so as to heel the ship over and settle her down into the water some. So end of roll till something gave way through winch pressure or on occasion the effects of tide lift which could be quite dramatic. Only person to complain was the ships cook if it was baking day as the cakes would come out like cheese wedges and at the time of breakout pots could jump over the fiddles.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:11   #27

Boat: Island Packet 420

A professional captain shared his method of dealing with rocky anchorages recently. Take a couple of gallon container- a jerry jug would do- fill with water. Attach to a halyard and to an aft line. Hoist a few feet off the boom.

The aft line is to keep it from hitting the mast. It will swing opposite to the motion of the boat and create a pendulum effect which will dampen the rocking substantially. You will have to experiment with weight and height, but it needn't be more than a few feet higher than the boom.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:29   #28

Stabilizers Are Amazing starts at 1:00 minute mark

Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:46   #29

Quote: "In a pinch you can throw a five gallon bucket over the side and tie it to the end of the boom. Another way if it is because the wind and the tide are at odds, tying a spring line to the anchor rode and skewing the boat works well"

Yes - that's the ticket :-)!

Because TP is high forward and a PO put a roller furling jib on 'er, she can be unruly when anchored over the bows. The remedy? Anchor over the stern :-)
I do it all the time.

Again because she's high forrard, I don'[t ask MyBeloved to go forrard to get a line on a mooring can. I slide the can down my lee side till I can casually lean out an slip a line through the ring on the can. I smartly belay the line on a cleat or take a bollard hitch on the sheet winch, and there she lies - stern to wind, but quiet and docile.

As wind and tide change I can mess about with a bridle or whatever else will do what needs doing. That includes the bucket on the wung out boom trick :-)

Tp
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:13   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I decided to give the swell bridle technique a try today and it works amazing!

I made a quick little video...

2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, liveaboard