Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2017, 20:12   #1

Blue Water Cruiser - What size

Hi guys,

I live in Toronto and I'm looking to buy a sailboat to live aboard. The largest space to literally make a "proper flat" without compromises, with the lowest cost (yes, fridge and freezer too - I'll show you later how I'll power all that). I also wanna go with this sailboat anywhere - minus shallow Bahams (maybe I'm dreaming but would there be an option for that under 15k US that would sail well with no keel? like a more modern design?).

I've been browsing like a mad man for a few days, weeks. I saw that Catalina 38 from the 80s and Hinterhoeller F3 Freres has aft berths on boths sides which I find fantastic since I can make those areas into neat storage room for personal professional equipment. Plus I could use some of the engine room as I'll explain - bear with me.

On the other hand I read that going over 30' increases repair costs like crazy - more surface, more parts, more to take care of etc. I plan to recondition this boat top notch - and to design the interior a bit. I plan to work and repair my boat. Even if I work 4-6 months a year I still make more than enough to pay for my boat repairs, the space (water or ground) and I get time to work on it too. I work in cinema - so I'm super flexible schedule wise.

Size wise I really like the Alberg 30, but the space is too small - I think. I will get to see an F3 in a few months in Toronto (unless it sells by that time). And hopefully I'll dig around some Alberg 30 to get a live feeling - totally different than pics I guess.

One thing I'd ask: suggest great boat models that are inexpensive, with tons of space, in the style of F3 (or Niagra 35 which is similar). Here's an F3 plan.

Secondly: explain to me. On something like Alberg 30', can you take down the aft fiberglass wall to open to the engine room? I have some alternative engine solution, clean, affordable, cheap, small and these ridiculous fossil fuel monsters got to go of my boat. I could make doors and a wooden frame for reinforcement in the aft area if structure is an issue. In that case something like an Alberg 30 might be doable.

So keep in mind that the diesel room will be freed a lot (the gas tank will go too) - mandatory mods. How? stay tunded, I still have to make proper tests and if it works I'll want the whole world to know - the sooner the better (fossil ****).

So now, my dear connaisseurs suggest some lovely sailboats and level with me on the cost issues between a 30 and a 36.

More one me: I got epoxy, wood working, electrical, power tool, sewing experience - so reviving a boat doesen't scare me a bit. There are dead periods in work anyway so I need a hobby too - might as well recondition something nice, that I own for a change (vs draining $ on rent). At a minimum of 6k a year, almost anything I buy should pay itself in 3 years max (yeah I'd put in that much time, if less even better).

Andrei
andrei_ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, size, water