Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-08-2015, 21:26   #1
nrs

Best PNW Marinas? OR coast? Seattle WA?

Hello all,

First Im grateful for the amount of information sprawled across this forum. Second Ive searched this subject but came up lacking in answers, so I apologize if I missed a blatant discussion.

Currently Im in search of some first hand experience with the marinas available in the Pacific North West. Currently I live in Portland (moved from Dana Point and sure do miss sea breezes), and Im looking for somewhere that will have a good community with good access to challenging sailing. I assume that shouldnt be hard to find anywhere on the coast or near astoria.

I have seen Tomahawk bay marina but was unable to see pricing and im not sure of liveaboard costs if at all, that is one of the closest marinas near me. I also think the Small Yacht Sailing Club of Oregon (SYSCO) is based out of there but im not sure, I plan to join if and when I can.

As for a boat, Im searching for a 30'+ boat that I can live on, sail in either the channel or the river, and eventually be able to cruise the BC Islands and make my way towards SF in hopes of living and refitting there for a longer cruise.

With that in mind, if anyone has any advice on marinas that are decently priced with a supportive sailing community or has any tips on succesful sailing in the PNW please share.

On a side note, some of the boats im looking at for this job are..

Ranger 33
Rawson 30
Contessa 32?
Columbia 36
Hunter 37 cherubini
Bruce Roberts 37
just a few off the top of my head, but I know this is going to be a long process.

I used to sail an Ericson Crealock 26' that was bare bones and good fun, but the conditions I sailed in were not nearly as challenging as what the PNW has to offer so I would really like to sail in the area as much I can on a well suited boat..

Also reading

Deep Sea Sailing by Errol Bruce and it is a very informative read.

Single Handed Sailing by I forget his name, but also very informative.

Anyways I look forward to learning from personal experience and the advice of the seasoned veterans on here! Cheers!
nrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, seattle