Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 09:15   #16

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We have a large stainless steel "french press". Double walled, keeps coffee hot (makes 4 cups). Looks good AND unbreakable!
What Pelagia said.

We have a single-wall now because it is instantly decanted (two 16oz insulated mugs, now unobtainable from West Marine, and the Starbucks version has been retired as well) while still piping hot.

Grounds go down the drain; some easier way to deal with that would be cool, but then we'd have to have other gear, too.

But the insulated versions are very nice if you are a single drinker and want it to stay hot for a while...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:17   #17

Boat: Southerly 57

+1 for the Moka. Ours makes two smallish cups of coffee, so it takes a while for guests if everyone wants coffee at the same time. Fool proof and no parts.

Ken Steele - S/V Soul Kitchen
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:18   #18

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Ditto w Aeropress for several quick cups. No mess and no cleaning. Compact for storage. Great coffee. We use stainless double wall French press when we need more.
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:19   #19

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto what others have said............a thermal stainless steel french press with hot water boiled on the LPG stove OR electric water kettle.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:22   #20

Boat: Hunter 34

I use a cone and filter. As for fresh coffee that doesn't go stale quickly, rather loose grounds I cut open Kcups which maintain (more or less) the freshness until cut open. Works great (got tired of stale grounds).
On shore power I use a Nespresso.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:22   #21

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
https://espressoplanet.r.worldssl.ne...%206%20Cup.jpg

bialetti coffee maker is the answer. various sizes available. last forever!!!
I've used these for almost 30 years and haven't found anything that works as well.

Any coffee maker requiring paper filters is a non starter for me. I don't want to run out of filters, store them, buy them or dispose of them.

French press is a good solution but coffee can be slightly gritty. These Bialetti stovetop models clean up easier and use less water for clean than a french press. The coffee is better too by my taste. The stovetop models are also more compact for stowage and won't crack or break like many french press types if dropped.

About five years ago I bought one of their stainless steel models (Venus) and it produces noticeably better coffee than the traditional aluminum model. I've tried side-by-side blind taste tests and the results were unanimous over the aluminum model.

https://www.bialetti.us/coffee/stove...-c-1_7_21.html
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:25   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
Any coffee maker requiring paper filters is a non starter for me. I don't want to run out of filters, store them, buy them or dispose of them.

For both the Aeropress and a lot of pourover devices, you can get a metal mesh filter as an alternative to the paper filters. It produces a somewhat different brew, so if you have both types you get more options. I alternate between the mesh and paper for my Aeropress at home depending on what coffee I'm brewing and my mood that day.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:28   #23

Boat: Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
I've used these for almost 30 years and haven't found anything that works as well.

French press is a good solution but coffee can be slightly gritty. These Bialetti stovetop models clean up easier and use less water for clean than a french press. The coffee is better too by my taste. The stovetop models are also more compact for stowage and won't crack or break like a french press can.

About five years ago I bought one of their stainless steel models (Venus) and it produces noticeably better coffee than the traditional aluminum model. I've tried side-by-side blind taste tests and the results were unanimous over the aluminum model.

https://www.bialetti.us/coffee/stove...-c-1_7_21.html
As for running out of filters, a coffee producer showed me a neat trick: Take unperfumed paper towel and fold once into a triangle; Separate the top edges: Instant cone filter! Used this in college.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:37   #24

Boat: C&C

Just go to Bass Pro or camping supply place and buy a SS percolating type to put on top of your propane burner stove. There's usually either a 8 or 12 cup version. We have both in case of entertaining. We use 3 scoops of coffee grains for 8 cups and perk it for 6 minutes. Vary the time for stronger or weaker. When you take it off the burner give it 2-3 minutes to drain and remove the holder for the coffee grains before pouring. It does cool off fairly fast , but you can just reheat it in the pot or pour into a carafe?
Safe, easy peasy, sanitary and low tech, won't fail you! Nothing like fresh perked coffee in the morning! Guess most of you are too young to remember good old simple things.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:39   #25

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse

VIA packets from Starbucks. These are one cups servings, but no storage, very handy and very good coffee. I have tried other brands, nothing else compares for instant coffee. They are great for camping as well. They are pretty cheap at Costco, and often are on sale. [ATTACH]
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIA.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	236457[/ATTACH]
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:04   #26

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For both the Aeropress and a lot of pourover devices, you can get a metal mesh filter as an alternative to the paper filters. It produces a somewhat different brew, so if you have both types you get more options. I alternate between the mesh and paper for my Aeropress at home depending on what coffee I'm brewing and my mood that day.
I was watching a video with the creator of the Aeropress, and he commented that the filters are reusable. I've been rinsing my paper filter disks and then I put it back with the Aeropress for storage (where it dries for tomorrow). It works as well the first time as the twentieth time.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:18   #27
Marine Service Provider

Best and easiest way to make GOOD coffee: A Melita cone filter, a thermos bottle. The steel ones are expensive but are unbreakable and keep contents hot or cold up to 12 hrs, so go with a quart if you want more later, a pint if you only want 2 cups), any drip grind coffee of your choice and boiling water. Let it steep for 5 minutes before pouring.

Ground coffee won't get stale if you keep it in an airtight glass or clear plastic cannister (available from Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and prob'ly Amazon too..one that's 4.5" tall will exactly hold a retail bag of ground coffee). I have a keurig but I haven't bought K-cups in years...I have refillable "pods" that I fill with good coffee using a coffee measure spoon.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:24   #28

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

To add to everything here, if good coffee matters, buy freshly roasted whole beans and grind right before brewing (with a good grinder). I haven't bought a second grinder for the boat yet, so I use pre-ground there, but grinding fresh at home definitely makes a big difference.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:28   #29

We mainly use a glass 1L French press at home. I also have an AeroPress and it's my coffeemaker when I'm just making one or two cups for me. I love it and we've taken it boating, but one trip we missed ONE piece when packing for the trip...

So we took a cue from some friends and we use either a collapsing cone and Melitta filters, or our Stanley SS french press.

My grandparents used to make percolated coffee, and I can still remember the smell... and the sound. Maybe I need one of those too...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:44   #30

On a warship we had a standard brand name restaurant SS drip coffee maker using commercial SS pitcher, the heating plate was modified with SS clips to hold the pitcher in place. It operated on 115 V 60 HZ ships power. The crews mess used a 30 gallon commercial coffee maker, the one with a sight tube for coffee level. Good coffee is anything you can drink to wake you up for another shift.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric