Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 17:04   #1

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer
Anchor Chain

Hello sailing community! Can anyone advise where to purchase 3/8 G4 grade 200ft. anchor chain for a windless at a reasonable cost? We're near Gulfport, MS.
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 17:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Anchor Chain

First Chain Supply - They'll ship it free if you can get your marina to accept the delivery and have a fork lift to take it off the truck. I made the mistake of buying some Chinese supposed G4 for less from an outfit in Miami - turned out the dimensions did not quite perfectly fit my windless, so it keeps jumping.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 18:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually, it's a windlass.
Old 15-11-2016, 18:24   #4

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
First Chain Supply - They'll ship it free if you can get your marina to accept the delivery and have a fork lift to take it off the truck. I made the mistake of buying some Chinese supposed G4 for less from an outfit in Miami - turned out the dimensions did not quite perfectly fit my windless, so it keeps jumping.
Thanks! I'll give them a call and check with this Marina. We are transients but most marinas have been very helpful and accommodating. Yes, it's a windlass :-) BTW, we're sailing to the Caribbean, any thoughts on length of chain for a 36' sailboat? Thinking 200ft.of chain plus rode should be enough???
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We do 200 feet of all chain on each of two anchors (plow and Dansforth) plus a backup 3/4 inch nylon with 25' of chain. Others may have other opinions on this, but I've not found a place I wanted to anchor that was too deep for 200'.
Old 16-11-2016, 05:51   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

In the Caribbean 200' should be just fine. We would have liked to have had a bit more in some places in the Pacific but were still able to find places to anchor with 200' of chain plus a couple hundred feet of rope.

May not be as good a deal as the one posted here but West Marine will deliver to a local store. We found a sale on chain at WM and rented a car to pick up the chain at the store. Worked out well.

Tags
anchor