Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51   #46

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: An American in Canadian waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What part of sovereign country don't you get? You choose to think what you want and that's fine with me and with the majority of Canadians. But the majority of Canadians don't want people who think like you transiting our borders. It's pretty simple. Call us Karens, brainwashed or simply ignorant—heck you could even be right, and it doesn't change the fact that as a sovereign nation we can choose not to let people in for whatever reasons we choose..

They can deny folks for whatever they want, no one questioned that.

Seems like a really silly thing to make enemies over, let the little sailboat through and don’t go asking folks to strike their flag, asking someone to strike their flag is a rather loud statement, and not a good look
Old 06-07-2020, 11:55   #47

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
They can deny folks for whatever they want, no one questioned that.

Seems like a really silly thing to make enemies over, let the little sailboat through and don’t go asking folks to strike their flag
You do understand that's your opinion and not the facts right? And that he wasn't denied, wasn't forced to strike his flag and wasn't really inconvenienced in any way, right?

It was just suggested if he didn't want to get into this exact discussion with every Tom Dick and Harry along the way (free speech ... remember...) it might be prudent to not fly the Stars and Stripes for a measly few days.

If you come by and you don't like that, then be prepared to be reported at every stop and having to deal with whatever authorities choose to stop you.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:59   #48

Boat: O'Day 40

They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them.

CBSA did not "tell them", they made a helpful recommendation.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:06   #49

Quote:
You do understand that's your opinion and not the facts right? And that he wasn't denied, wasn't forced to strike his flag and wasn't really inconvenienced in any way, right?

It was just suggested if he didn't want to get into this exact discussion with every Tom Dick and Harry along the way (free speech ... remember...) it might be prudent to not fly the Stars and Stripes for a measly few days.

If you come by and you don't like that, then be prepared to be reported at every stop and having to deal with whatever authorities choose to stop you.
No it is the facts.
They don’t HAVE to let you in
He was ASKED to not fly his flag

And asking folks to not fly their flag, well you don’t need to be a psychologist to figure out that might not go over too hot with lots of folks

Maybe debating some Canadian Karen is no factor when compared to what others have given for that flag.

Guess the biggest shock to me was that the customs guy actually though a American might be weak enough to lower their flag because they are afraid of some mean words. I wonder if he has had experiences that led him to think that was even a appropriate thing to ask, let alone a possibility
Old 06-07-2020, 12:38   #50

Quote:
He was ASKED to not fly his flag
From the OP

Quote:
They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:43   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

The solution should have been no transit into Canada by car from the US for non-essential travel. You can take a ferry from Seattle to Alaska or fly.

As far as marine traffic - travel the west side of Vancouver Island without stopping, not the inside passage.

BC has done well in this crisis, Vancouver Island better again with no current cases reported as far as I know.

This is from Facebook, a mechanic I know posted it the other day:

I am pissed off!
Americans are being allowed up here to take boats down to the states. I have a customer who has needed this service. Legally he is allowed up here by customs as an essential traveller with a one day exemption to take the boat. The boat lost power off of trial island and my customer contacted me for help last night. I contacted coast guard and had it sorted out but was under the impression the captain was Canadian. Coast Guard towed him back to the inner harbour and left him at Fishermans Warf. This morning I am getting set to go down to fix the boat and being an American customer I asked the last time he was in the US... Wednesday was the answer. He said he was going to Johns for breakfast, I told him not to leave the boat. He left the boat to go for breakfast and I called customs to let them know what is going on and they were “handling it”. They said as long as he is social distancing, nothing can be done. He did not disclose his status to me until after I asked.

There are too many examples of people flaunting the rules.

Not being unCanadian, but proCanadian.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:46   #52

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the OP lol. One man's patriotism is another man's fetishism.

FWIW: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...31#post3179931
There is currently an American flagged sailing vessel anchored in Bedwell Harbour according to Marine Traffic
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
He said he was going to Johns for breakfast,
How can anyone socially distance at John's?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:51   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
As i understand it, the Inside passage is International waters, even thought it passes thru Canada, and the Canadian government can not stop a vessel from transiting to Alaska, although one must inform Canada of the intended said passage.
No it is not. When you transit Juan de Fuca Straight just outside of Victoria you are in Canada. 12 miles outside Vancouver Island is where Canada starts.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:54   #55

Boat: Catalina 350

Take a look at the curve of cases in the US (if you scroll down the page linked to below, it's the first graph on the list of countries with cases increasing). Compare our curve to the one of Canada (it's in the next group of countries where cases are mostly the same).

I can totally see why Canadians are reluctant to let us travel into their country! In other words, we're totally failing to control it down here.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...irus-maps.html

We're going to miss being up in the North Channel this summer, but understand the issues involved.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:11   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From the OP
That’s exactly what I said, it was a request, hence “asked”.

Quote:
The solution should have been no transit into Canada by car from the US for non-essential travel. You can take a ferry from Seattle to Alaska or fly.

As far as marine traffic - travel the west side of Vancouver Island without stopping, not the inside passage.

BC has done well in this crisis, Vancouver Island better again with no current cases reported as far as I know.

This is from Facebook, a mechanic I know posted it the other day:

I am pissed off!
Americans are being allowed up here to take boats down to the states. I have a customer who has needed this service. Legally he is allowed up here by customs as an essential traveller with a one day exemption to take the boat. The boat lost power off of trial island and my customer contacted me for help last night. I contacted coast guard and had it sorted out but was under the impression the captain was Canadian. Coast Guard towed him back to the inner harbour and left him at Fishermans Warf. This morning I am getting set to go down to fix the boat and being an American customer I asked the last time he was in the US... Wednesday was the answer. He said he was going to Johns for breakfast, I told him not to leave the boat. He left the boat to go for breakfast and I called customs to let them know what is going on and they were “handling it”. They said as long as he is social distancing, nothing can be done. He did not disclose his status to me until after I asked.

There are too many examples of people flaunting the rules.

Not being unCanadian, but proCanadian.
That Facebook post is exactly what a “Karen” is BTW

Lol, unless that sailor was sick, actively coughing all over the place and the diner is filled with people over 70 with major pre existing conditions, I think the world might not be ending

I wonder how many of the Canadians who call the government on any American they see were also for the “hate speech” laws over there.

Feel bad for the poor cops and CG who have to deal with these people calling in all the stupid stuff, I mean at some point it’s morphing from a cool country to a anal retentive HOA
Old 06-07-2020, 13:19   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
That’s exactly what I said, it was a request, hence “asked”.

Lol, unless that sailor was sick, actively coughing all over the place and the diner is filled with people over 70 with major pre existing conditions, I think the world might not be ending

I wonder how many of the Canadians who call the government on any American they see were also for the “hate speech” laws over there.
He was disobeying the law, simple as that.

People with no apparent symptoms can spread the disease to others.

The US because of its handling of the virus is becoming the pariah of the world. If they can't sort it out nobody will want Americans to visit.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:35   #58

Quote:

Nope

Quote:
Karen is a pejorative term used in the US and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)

I think that definition suits you perfectly.

You are are not entitled to enter another country, unless you abide by their laws.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:35   #59

Boat: Lancer 36

Canadia can do what it wants, so can the USA. China is the pariah of the world, not the USA, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong. Your facts that you use to justify your opinions were and are being fed to you to create the opinions you espouse, to influence behaviors and gain political advantage.....you are being lied to. The truth is out there, if you look for it diligently.... but you are stuck in your conformation bias bubble, so you would not recognize it if you saw it. Good luck in your brave new world.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:36   #60

Quote:
He was disobeying the law, simple as that.

People with no apparent symptoms can spread the disease to others.

The US because of its handling of the virus is becoming the pariah of the world. If they can't sort it out nobody will want Americans to visit.
How?

it’s not airborne, so unless the waiter was licking his utensils after he ate with them or something, or maybe 70 year olds just after surgery asked the captain to French kiss them, or they don’t believe in basic hygiene, I’m just not seeing it

Ether way dude went out for breakfast, BFD, there is a reason the authorizes this person whined too didn’t even bother to drive over.
Closed Thread

Tags
water